Advice on jogging

Options
I've been jogging for two days and I'm not burning enough calories. Help??

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you aren't burning enough calories?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may need to adjust your expectations about the number of calories that exercise burns.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to burn 300 calories in a 30-35 min jog. And the more weight you lose and the more efficient your body becomes at the exercise, the less calories you'll burn.
  • kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Define 'burn enough' - how many are you trying to burn a day? A half hour jog for me can burn anything from 300-400 depending on my pace and all; my heart rate monitor tracks everything more accurately for me. Running faster can increase calorie burn if you're really trying for that, as can hills and sprint intervals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Eat less
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Eat less

Agreed. You can't outrun a bad diet.

What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight or train for a 5K? If it's weight loss, you'll do that in the kitchen, not the gym/treadmill.

Good luck!
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    What goal are you trying to reach?
    Fat loss? If that's the case, it's far easier to NOT put calories into your body than it is to put calories in and then burn them off.
    However, if you're trying to burn excess calories with jogging and exercise, it WILL help. But you must be realistic. You probably won't be able to burn 1200 calories with a one-mile run...

The jogging an exercise will burn calories and help with fat loss. In my experience, though, the main benefit to these types of exercises are how your body feels. I find that I sleep better and feel much better overall.

Keep doing it. Keep running. Find a way to track your times or your speed. Try to beat your records! Doing it that way makes it more fun...as least in my opinion :smiley:
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't up your intensity just to try to burn more. You risk serious injury if your body isn't ready for that kind of workout.

If you're not burning enough calories now, take it slow, and before you know it you'll be jogging longer, faster, and you'll be burning a whole bunch of them.