Protein powder... Yes or no?

Options
I'm eating a balanced diet but not quite meeting my daily protein goal. I don't eat meat and just want an easy source of protein. I'm just concerned shakes might make me gain weight as I don't know what else is in them. I workout at the gym 3 times a week and do some strength training but not a lot.

Any advice would be great :)

Replies

• emstewart95
    emstewart95 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    moudizg wrote: »
    Whey protein only has around 160calories per scoop and 26-30g of protein, so i don't think you're going to be gaining weight off of an extra 160 calories, unless you get a weight gainer by mistake which is just loaded with sugars as an easy source of calories.

A friendly recommendation, don't buy a big jug of protein powder at first, try a smaller package first because your stomach might react badly to some compounds

Thank you so much! I thought there would be way more calories. Great tip about the smaller pack
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Whey protein only has around 160calories per scoop and 26-30g of protein, so i don't think you're going to be gaining weight off of an extra 160 calories, unless you get a weight gainer by mistake which is just loaded with sugars as an easy source of calories.

A friendly recommendation, don't buy a big jug of protein powder at first, try a smaller package first because your stomach might react badly to some compounds

Thank you so much! I thought there would be way more calories. Great tip about the smaller pack

The weigh isolate that I buy at Walmart has 140 calories per 41 g scoop and about 30 g of protein.

Definitely easy to fit into your day.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    The one I drink from Canadianprotein dot website is called New Zealand Whey protein isolate and has 120 calories and 28g Protein per 30 gram scoop and only 1 carb and 0 sugar.

It really helps me bump up my protein because I'm also vegetarian (no meat/fish/eggs) and I easily get my carbs/fats but protein is usually lagging and this helps me get strictly protein from my shake.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    True Athlete Whey Protein (flavorless) is what I use. I add a scoop or two of it to any sweets I bake (don't tell my husband
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I alternate between Quest and Optimum Nutrition brands. Around 120 calories and 24g protein per serving if i remember correctly.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

The weigh isolate that I buy at Walmart has 140 calories per 41 g scoop and about 30 g of protein.

Please don't buy any supplements from Walmart/target as they get them from unregulated sources and there is absolutely no way to know what is actually in them.
  • joseserpas1788
    joseserpas1788 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Use shakes to help meet your protein goals for the day, you should try to get most of your protein from food though, egg white, cottage cheese , peanut butter
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Please don't buy any supplements from Walmart/target as they get them from unregulated sources and there is absolutely no way to know what is actually in them.

Walmart/Target get the supplements from the same places everyone else gets supplements from...

If you buy GNC powder from Walmart or from GNC stores, you're getting the same thing.

Any food product is regulated by the FDA in the US.

Don't get me wrong, I've got no love for Walmart... But this here is just FUD.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The Body Fortress whey protein powder which I got from Wal-Mart has 170 calories and 30 grams of protein per scoop. I mix it with 4 oz 2% milk and 4 oz water, which adds 65 calories and 4 grams of protein. I consume it each morning M-F. It carries a "good" rating from bodybuilding.com. There are better protein powders, which cost a lot more, and those carry the "best" rating from bodybuilding.com. You can sprinkle the powder in something you already had in your plan, if you don't want to add milk.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

The nice thing about such certainty is knowing that the FDA does not regulate any supplement from any source.
    The only assurance you have is the brand you trust. A friend of mine is boss of all supplement purchases for Central Market, an upscale regional grocer in Texas. I asked her how they know that the supplements contain what the label says. She replied, "Batch testing". She explained that the supplement manufacturer has to submit a sample from each batch to an independent lab which performed DNA testing on the material to prove it's identity. The merchant, in her case it's Central Market, won't accept a shipment without the batch test report. Ask your brand if they use independent batch testing.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans, & dark leafy greens are all an excellent source of protein. R u vegan? If not then dairy & eggs are great too. I like my nutriva hemp protein it's got lots of fiber & omegas & other nutrients that other powders don't have & the only ingredient is natural organic hemp. Thanks Mother Nature for this amazing plant!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm just concerned shakes might make me gain weight as I don't know what else is in them.

The calories, ingredients, and protein content are all on the label. You won't gain weight unless you eat excessive calories. You can research the protein quality in different brands.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders are made in China and contain dangerous heavy metals in them. (You can see this if you were to wave a magnet around the powder).

I use Warrior Food protein supplement. (I was worried about getting enough protein too).

Here are other healthy options!
    http://foodbabe.com/2012/12/13/the-healthiest-protein-powders-on-the-market/
  • daynaxxanne
    daynaxxanne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a protein power from Fitmiss and it only has 90 calories per scoop and each scoop is 16g of protein.
  • kristixo
    kristixo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat either, so I do rely on whey protein to help meet my protein goal. I use Diesel Whey. You can buy it on bodybuilding.com- its delicious, low carb, low cal, and sweetened with Stevia :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a balanced diet but not quite meeting my daily protein goal. I don't eat meat and just want an easy source of protein. I'm just concerned shakes might make me gain weight as I don't know what else is in them. I workout at the gym 3 times a week and do some strength training but not a lot.

Any advice would be great :)

No particular food item is going to cause you to gain weight. Protein powders are just supplements and they are generally pretty low calorie. Weight gain happens when you consume energy (calories) in excess of what your body expends...it has nothing to do with eating this, that, or the other.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The only way I can reach my protein goal is usually with a scoop of protein powder. Go for it! Check labels, look at the macros and sugar in each scoop to determine what is best for you.