1g protein for 1lb of body weight?

Options
Hey guys,

So for about a year now I have always been keeping my protein super high (as recommended by my trainer). He had me at about 200g of protein a day, and for the past couple months I have been consuming 165g protein per day (closer to my body weight). I have also seen some studies say that strength athletes benefit from 0.75g/lb and endurance athletes benefit from 1.6 g/lb and I would consider myself both endurance and strength athlete haha, more endurance. Just wondering what you guys typically use for your protein intake, specifically when cutting?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I generally aim for 1g per pound of body weight. 200g a day? You must've been barely getting anything else into your diet. At most Id say 1g per pound if you're lifting seriously. I see no reason at all for you to be eating anymore than that a day. Mind if I ask their reasoning for eating that much a day?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    1g per pound is my target. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Works out to about 179-180 grams. A lot more and I end up not getting enough fiber in because it takes up my valuable carb calories.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The 1 gram should be per pound LEAN BODY MASS. If you weigh 100 lbs, and are 20% fat, then 80 lbs is your LBM, and that's what you use to calculate protein requirement. ie: 80 grams protein/day.
  • allstarelmo23
    allstarelmo23 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A pound / BW sounds about right. I know tons of people that eat 2x their bodyweight but that seems ridiculous.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    2-2.5g per lean BW in kg for me (about equivalent to 1-1.5g lean BW in lbs) whether cutting or otherwise.

Something that is a pain in the *kitten* in the standard version of MFP is that macros are calculated on %, so if you add in exercise calories, then your macros (in this case protein) will increase also - which is not always required or desirable. I think premium has the ability to set macros as grams (there used to be a TamperMonkey script that you could use to do this on a standard account but it recently stopped working).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It sounds crazy high to me.

The main issue is that you want to find a diet that you will STICK to. And with a lower calorie goal, eating so much protein must royally suck. I ate around 130g while I was losing (out of 1700 calories) and can't really imagine eating more. And frankly it just seems like overkill. I always heard that you're supposed to eat 1g per pound of LEAN body weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My main issue with that high amount would be it cramps your calorie allowance and you will have to exclude other foods and restrict your food choices.
    1g/1lb of lean mass is my goal when dieting. Seen little to suggest any great benefit above that level.

Three good reasons to increase over the normal RDA would be:
    In a calorie deficit.
    Endurance cardio.
    Strength/weight training.

But you wouldn't add an allowance for cardio and then also for strength training.
  • Abriellefulton
    Abriellefulton Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I generally aim for 1g per pound of body weight. 200g a day? You must've been barely getting anything else into your diet. At most Id say 1g per pound if you're lifting seriously. I see no reason at all for you to be eating anymore than that a day. Mind if I ask their reasoning for eating that much a day?

Ya, so back when I was eating about 200 a day I was actually eating paleo, so lots of nuts and meat and veggies, minimal fruit. I was not limited on that, in that I had no idea what my calories were but I actually did lose 4% body fat rather quick. But then I found it kind of hard to keep eat so strict after 3 months.

I am a national team athlete lol, I paddle. So I do end up having some programs which I am working out 2x a day (1 weight, 1 erg or 2 weight sessions) about 5x a week, so that was the reasoning behind that.

I do not find it incredibly difficult to get to 160g a day, and most days I don't feel to deprived from other macros such as carbs since I ate paleo for a while, so I am actually pretty used to having just meat and veggie meals.

• toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I stick to at least 1 gram per pound of lean body weight. I usually end the day around 1.25-1.5 grams per pound of lean mass. If I go too high I can't fit enough carbs in for my training sessions.