low fat versus low carb

Options
any ideas folks on best way to kick start weight loss to keep motivation levels up?? If i can see results starting to take place reasonably soon i kno it will keep me motivated to carry on- does any one feel low carb then introduce carbs gently n move to low fat?? would be grateful of any ideas- got a stone to loose!!

Replies

• Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you decide to eat low carb, do not restrict your body from good healthy fats. Infact you should be increasing healthy fats if following a low carb plan. Keep an eye on your calorie intake. And to ultimately lose the weight you should always be in a calorie deficit. FYI.. ( shouldent mix high carb and high fat ) that will = weight gain.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit. There is no kick-starting things. You may lose more water weight with low-carb initially, but it will come back on, and you probably want to lose fat, not water. There's no magic in either way of eating.
  • Jacob1020
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit. There is no kick-starting things. You may lose more water weight with low-carb initially, but it will come back on, and you probably want to lose fat, not water. There's no magic in either way of eating.

Depending on how "strict" you keep your carbs down, once you re-introduce them you will put water weight back on. Ultimately your body evetually will start to switch it's fuel source if there is no carbs "sugar" it will turn to the backup fuel source "ketones" wich will use body fat as fuel! That's exciting!
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Find out what foods help to keep you satisfied and stick to a calorie deficit.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a deficit.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »

Depending on how "strict" you keep your carbs down, once you re-introduce them you will put water weight back on. Ultimately your body evetually will start to switch it's fuel source if there is no carbs "sugar" it will turn to the backup fuel source "ketones" wich will use body fat as fuel! That's exciting!

That's.... similar to what happens when you eat at a caloric deficit, yes? Maybe not with the ketones, but the body uses its stored fat reserves to make up for the deficit, right? That's exciting!
  • Jacob1020
    Options

That's.... similar to what happens when you eat at a caloric deficit, yes? Maybe not with the ketones, but the body uses its stored fat reserves to make up for the deficit, right? That's exciting!

Not initially! eating low sugar will put your body into Ketosis. Once the body has no sugar for fuel it'll switch over to ketones. Depends at what rate you want to burn fat also. Also if your not increasing your fats your body will use protien for fuel, the fat is the last ditch attempt the body uses.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As others have said, just eat at a deficit, you may get a couple of weeks on fad diets where you appear to lose weight faster, but this is just additional water weight and once that comes off you are no better off than if you'd just dieted normally, but are stuck with denying yourself food groups. Best diet book ever is only four words long "Eat less, move more".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Right. This idea that you only burn fat if doing keto is weird.

Anyway, OP, I wouldn't do low carb as a "kickstart" (which is entirely unnecessary) if you don't plan to stick to it, or you are likely to regain some water weight and stall later. (Which would be fine, except you seem to think the scale weight is going to dictate your motivation.)

Low carb is fine if you find it is more sustainable as a way to eat for you. I'd say just do a deficit and experiment to find what combination of foods/macros is most filling and sustainable. A stone really isn't that much, so you will want not to do anything extreme and transition into keeping it off.
  • penelopepitstop22
    penelopepitstop22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Anyway, OP, I wouldn't do low carb as a "kickstart" (which is entirely unnecessary) if you don't plan to stick to it, or you are likely to regain some water weight and stall later. (Which would be fine, except you seem to think the scale weight is going to dictate your motivation.)

Low carb is fine if you find it is more sustainable as a way to eat for you. I'd say just do a deficit and experiment to find what combination of foods/macros is most filling and sustainable. A stone really isn't that much, so you will want not to do anything extreme and transition into keeping it off.

• penelopepitstop22
    penelopepitstop22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks all for input!! eat less move more is a good way to start- i will consider the comments made n get motivated if not now- when as they say- all advice appreciated!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

This^

You have use of a great website for calorie counting purposes (MFP). No need to eliminate a macro to make counting manageable.

Eat the way you intend to eat in the future (just smaller portions). That way you know the calorie counts and portion sizes for all foods, not just those you eat while dieting.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    In my experience - and I have done all three approaches to weight loss over the years - the only sustainable program for me was/is caloric deficit. Nothing is (literally) off the table. I can do this anywhere, all the time, for the rest of my life.
  • CelesseBoo
    CelesseBoo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I found best way to be motivated with to just eat less, smaller portion sizes. That way I could still have a lot of the things I liked just in more sensible amounts.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

^^this