Cardio fitness dvd workout.... vs running?

Options
So I'm in two minds weather a 20minute cardio workout from a dvd is more beneficial than 30/40mins running? Does anyone know from experience what they have found works better via exercise? I know it may varie from person to person but just wanted your personal opinions?

Replies

• carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a dvd and lost more inches than months of cardio like running. I lost more pounds doing the cardio but didn't look any different.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I can't run daily because it kills my knees. I do both. I switch back and forth and depending on the workout video, you may burn close to the same calories. Check the calorie burn on them. I switch between 3 different P90X videos right now during the week and run every other day. I allow one day off of exercise a week.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It depends how much effort you personally put into your workouts that matter. If you push yourself to the max doing a 20 minute workout and you do a moderate run, you're practically going to burn the same amount.

I Do a Jillian workout video (45 minutes) and push myself as hard as i can. I drip sweat pretty much from the start. But someone else can easily half-*kitten* it.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    In my experience running was better. It did better things to my mood to take a break, go out and run, followed by a nice leisurely stroll home. I felt more like I accomplished something for the day running compared to exercise DVDs. I'm sure it's a matter of preference though, but for mood reasons I preferred running.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Started doing the Les mills body combat, (1 hour) it has changed my cardio for the better and improved so many other things I do in the gym and in life. big fan, great music. I do this on a video and at the YMCA, I always sweat more, higher pulse and feel more tired after the group stuff.
  • kayleexbabeex
    kayleexbabeex Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started up two weeks ago and usually do a 45minute session on the treadmill walking but majority running and I do come off absolutely dripping of sweat but I didn't know weather to alternate or not. I have heard good reviews from a few people on jjillian Michaels (30day shred) so I was thinking of using that. ? X
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do both. DVD workouts I feel are better to increase my running abilities. Both are acceptable workouts, just depends on what YOU prefer.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I feel like the high intensity, short bursts of hard cardio workouts are great. I've been doing a lot of that, but just returned to running since the weather is improving. It's been hard because my cardio ENDURANCE has suffered. I mean, there are worse things, but I'd keep up the running a bit, no matter what you decide, just so you maintain that endurance.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    I do both. DVD workouts I feel are better to increase my running abilities. Both are acceptable workouts, just depends on what YOU prefer.

Totally agree here. I'm an avid runner and run about 4-5 days a week and I also box/crosstrain as well two days a week. Lately I've been adding an extra two days of crosstraining along with my running. On my cross training days I will do about 45 minutes and then hop on the treadmill for about another 20 minutes. It doesn't have to be that long but it's a nice change of pace to do a bit of both together or just on separate days.