have you made zoodles?

Options
veliia
veliia Posts: 70 Member
I want to make zoodles but dont know how lol have you made zoodles? If so, how? Show me pics if u have any :)

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes! I bought a spiraliser machine and use it for all sort of veg not just courgette (zucchini). Zoodles are a great success though. I love them with some half fat creme fraiche, white wine, mushroom, garlic sauce. The fact you've used courgette instead of pasta gives you the space to enjoy that sauce and still have a 500 cal meal.
  • mandynichole84
    mandynichole84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have made them a few times now, and they have been a huge hit at my house. My 10 yr old niece, 6 yr old nephew 5 & 3 yr old daughters all ate them and asked for more. You have to get some type of kitchen tool that will make them into noodles. I bought a small spiral-er at my local Wal-Mart that looks like an over sized pencil sharpener for $2.98 and it does the trick as long as you cut the noodles after spiraling them. If you don't, they are too long to deal with. I made a turkey bolognese with them that I got from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/turkey-bolognese-with-voodles.html . It is super easy and yummy/
  • TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I make them all the time as a substitute for pasta. You can use many vegetables not just zucchini. I bought my spiral tool at Wal-Mart also. It works good. Also try spaghetti squash as a substitute for noodles.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    just started making these, the tip to cut after spiralizing is a good one! I dropped them in a pot of boiling water with a chicken bouillon cube, minced garlic and pepper for 2-3 min. have been experimenting with different sauces and straight up jar is not bad.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the oven, when I tried to sauté them they came out soggy.

Make sure to spray the baking pan first!

With marinara and cheese or with butter/olive oil and salt n pepper.

Very delicious!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to waste an entire gadget on one vegetable, try spiralizing rutabaga, parsnip, butternut squash, celeriac, beets, etc.

http://inspiralized.com/ is a blog that has only recipes using a spiralizer. A ton of free ideas, and her cookbook is awesome too!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Zoodles are DELICIOUS!! And so easy. There is a tool called the Veggietti (spelling?) and I think it's less than $10. I flash sautee mine in a pan with some garlic flavored oil, fresh pressed garlic, some salt and pepper.

(edit to add link to picture)
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes they are awesome. I haven't done them in a while. :)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I use a mandolin to make long julienned pieces of veg and that way I don't waste money on a gadget that only has one use and is difficult to clean. With a mandolin you can also do various thicknesses of veg chips/slices for many recipes. Again it's easier to clean :).

Don't cook your zoodles too long or they turn to mush and lose shape. I add julienned veg to regular pasta to beef up the dish.
  • samanthanickell
    samanthanickell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the oven, when I tried to sauté them they came out soggy.

Make sure to spray the baking pan first!

With marinara and cheese or with butter/olive oil and salt n pepper.

Very delicious!

Wrap the zoodles in cheesecloth (or pretty similarly thin cloth) and squeeze the excess moisture out. That prevents them from getting soggy.
  • cherilynnbailey
    cherilynnbailey Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What the heck is a zoodle? Sounds like I need to know this recipe!!! Lol Can someone PLEASE post a link? It would be greatly appreciated!!!! ❤️
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    What the heck is a zoodle? Sounds like I need to know this recipe!!! Lol Can someone PLEASE post a link? It would be greatly appreciated!!!! ❤️

You can use a spiralizer, a mandoline, or just a peeler to create noodles out of vegetables. Zucchini noodles are often referred to as "zoodles."

spiralizer-full-shot.jpg
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    I posted this link above, but http://inspiralized.com/ has everything you'd need including videos, step by step guides, how to cook all different noodled vegetables, and a ton of amazing recipes.