Clothes Solutions

Options
2»

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think if your shirts get too big, you can pair them with leggings and a belt if needed. The proportion of "loose on top" and "tight on the bottom" balances nicely. Especially if the shirt is longer covering your butt, worn with leggings and flats or a longer shirt with leggings and ankle boots is a nice look. If you feel that you would like more shape with that look, you could use a tie belt or a long scarf and wrap it around your waist.

Get a good belt to sinch at the waist for jeans, one with a lot of holes in it so that you can adjust the size of the belt with your changes in size. I like the look of baggy jeans that fit casual with a nice shirt.

Suit jackets are very versatile and you can pair them with many different items, and dress them up or down. You can definitely find a nice suit jacket for cheap that fits you at a second hand shop. Wear it with a skirt, pants or jeans.

I would get a few pieces that you can wear with everything at the size you are now. (1pants or 1skirt, 1jacket, 1sweater and 1shirt) in a neutral color (black, grey, baby blue or brown) so you can mix and match it with different items until you are at the size you want.

Have fun with it, try different styles and looks. Clothing can make you feel really good when you find the right pieces that look good on you.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Thriftown! I love me a good thrift store.
    I'm also a huge fan of safety pins and whip-stitches for quickly taking in the seams of favorite items. I just whip-stitched in the side-seams of one of my favorite shirts. (In about another ten pounds, even side-stitching won't save it, though.)

My heartbreak is my corsets, though. I have dozens of costuming corsets, and am down to about three. I really need to find a good corset seamstress who can remove panels and moving the boning, because those things aren't cheap.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I use schoola.com because the local thrift store is terrible. Also I am wearing a lot of dresses and skirts, certain cuts are good for 2-4 sizes. Very forgiving styles.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Find a good tailor! It can be even more economical than buying new. I have had waists taken in, sleeves taken up, darts put in to follow curves - a good tailor is worth their weight in gold!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've shrunk about three sizes so far. I didn't buy much at all until the smallest size and just shopped the sales. Because I wear vintage or good repro I'm lucky that it mostly retains its value so I sold my big clothes to pay for the new clothes and will do the same again when I hop down another couple of sizes (which will hopefully be goal).

Just curious, where do you buy your clothes? I love vintage dresses but have no idea where to buy them! I'm looking to splurge when I reach goal :)
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So I am just starting to lose weight and have lost almost a clothes size. The thing is I have many sizes that I'm hoping to lose and don't want to go buy new clothes that I (hopefully) won't fit in for very long. Any suggestions about what to do during the time between the size I was and the size I want to be in?

I went to Target and thrift stores in between sizes and only bought a couple pairs of jeans.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If you can find nice secondhand clothing in your area, go for it. It also depends on what you are dressing for - work or casual? In my experience it's easier to buy secondhand for casual clothing. I am still about 10lbs from goal but could not wear any of my work pants anymore (literally falling off me at work), so I was forced to get some new pants. I have a long inseam and I could not find anything secondhand that fit me properly and looked appropriate for office wear. So, I picked up some pixie pants from Old Navy on sale this weekend. About $20 each and I bought a few pairs to get me through this last few months. Once I go into maintenance I intend to restock my wardrobe a bit with some of the higher end work clothing that I would normally purchase. But I can't justify it right now because I know in a few months I'll be in one size smaller than I am now. I'm also holding off on tailoring a few more valuable items I have and want to keep, as again I just can't justify the cost until I'm ready to go into maintenance.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I made a lot of things that were too big work for as long as I could - using belts and cardigans, etc. but eventually just bit the bullet and bought new.

While I was still losing, I did a LOT of dresses and tunics/leggings for work. They tend to last longer size-wise and I didnt have to buy expensive new dress pants!

I've lost 60+ lbs so basically NOTHING fits anymore..jeans, tops, dresses, bras, bathing suits - but its been really fun to shop new smaller sizes and feel GOOD in clothes!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Go to a thrift shop, or get your existing clothes altered.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have to look professional for work, so I buy on eBay.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you need more professional clothes for work, I suggest getting dresses. Many styles of dresses seem to be much more forgiving than career pants, and I can wear them longer. I'm wearing my pants as long as I can with a belt, but the sagging butt, thighs, and hips don't look great and they obviously don't fit the way they should any more.
  • Adphillips9
    Adphillips9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you live in a decent sized city, you hopefully have some consignment shops - I have one I really like in my city where I've gotten nice suits for $35.00 or so. Also, I made friends with the woman who runs the store - she was happy to have all my nice plus size clothes! We made some trades, until I hit my current size.

She has a nicely curated little collection and I always find a couple of dresses, a blouse and a suit if I come over on a Saturday morning. She also called me once when she had some things come in, in my size.

I've now got 5 or 6 shops I look at DC to Baltimore, plus thrift stores. I hate buying new clothes
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that my hips are much bigger than my waist so even though all of my pants are way too big I can still wear them with a belt. I don't work so I don't have to worry about looking professional. I will likely buy some new clothes soon because my shorts are Way Way too big!
  • SarahJeanine1
    SarahJeanine1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even though it isn't ideal, I've also made dress pants (the kind with no belt-loops, so no belt option) that are just a size or two too big work with the maternity band that can be placed over pants when pregnant (I still had a few bands lying around from when I was expecting, but you can buy them pretty cheaply at Target/Walmart). It works for a bit until you are ready to buy new things.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i actually found Ralph Lauren wool-blend dress pants at Goodwill, and they were like-new, and judging by the perfect pressed creases in the legs, freshly dry-cleaned. this is not an area with a lot of folks who have to dress-up for work, and yet Goodwill had many good options. It's a worth a look first if price is an issue.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've shrunk about three sizes so far. I didn't buy much at all until the smallest size and just shopped the sales. Because I wear vintage or good repro I'm lucky that it mostly retains its value so I sold my big clothes to pay for the new clothes and will do the same again when I hop down another couple of sizes (which will hopefully be goal).

Just curious, where do you buy your clothes? I love vintage dresses but have no idea where to buy them! I'm looking to splurge when I reach goal :)

@gradchica27 All sorts of places. Etsy is a good starting point and there's a ton of good Facebook groups for true vintage. Depends on era as to where to go with Facebook, I'm strictly pre-60s. Repro there's a ton of brands out there, Pin up Girl clothing being one of the biggest and most well known but there's a lot of indie brands too. Just ask google really! I'm in the UK so I bought a ton of stuff in the Collectif sale in January which they do at least once a year, maybe more, where everything goes half off so that was my biggest splurge to date since losing weight.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline , thanks! I'm new to this and live in southern suburbia in the US, so don't exactly have brick and mortar stores in my town...and can't drag 4 little boys along anyway, so thanks for the online leads :smile:
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    I live out of goodwill..I've gone down 4-5 sizes and I would say 90% of my wardrobe is from there.

I love me some thrift stores and oh course ebay. I also bought a couple of sewing books and learned how to tailor my clothes. There are some things I just would not get rid of, so I recut it to fit me in between my goal sizes and my current sizes.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Do you have an outlet mall nearby? It might be worthwhile to subscribe to e-mail lists for your favorite stores to get coupons and sale alerts. I just used a 40% off e-coupon on top of clearance prices to get 3 sweaters, 2 tops, 2 dresses and a pair of pants at Banana Republic Factory Store for $60.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Find a good tailor! It can be even more economical than buying new. I have had waists taken in, sleeves taken up, darts put in to follow curves - a good tailor is worth their weight in gold!

Another vote for getting existing favorites/expensive pieces altered.

You could also ask on Freecycle.org. I give away clothes I outgrow on there.