What 3 machines would have in your dream (home) gym??

Options

Replies

• lynnie07
    lynnie07 Posts: 52
    Options
    free weights, adjustable bench and medicine balls
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    An elliptical, and weights.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You did say DREAM, right?
    General equipment -
    The room shall have a mirrored wall with ballet bar (for stretching and horizontal pull ups)
    Floor mat for aerobics
    Large screen TV w/ DVD/BluRay
    Dumbell set

"Machines"
    A bowflex or something similar
    An endless pool, with the treadmill bottom.
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    Treadmill, multi-functional weight machine, and either a weight bench or rowing machine.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    1. treadmill - choose the quietest one you can afford, your hearing matters!
    2. cycle trainer
    3. free weights

Television is a necessity too - use to help the time go by or for video workouts.
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    A good bench, free weights, and a good treadmill.
  • JudoJones
    JudoJones Posts: 54
    Options
    I have had the big equipment and have since replaced with a very simple but effective home gym.

1. Incline/Decline bench
    2. Full set of Dumbells, wracked
    3. quality mats - suitable for aerobic, yoga, etc..
    4. Dip/Pullup bar station combo
    5. Dvd player, tv, sound system
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't know about all 3, but the one thing that instantly comes to mind for me is the assisted pull-up machine. I hate doing assisted pull-ups with a chair because I feel like I am cheating by using my legs too much, but this machine could build up my back strength until I could do pull-ups on my own...at which point that's what I would use the machine for as a stand-alone pull-up bar.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Top of the line treadmill (I am a runner)
    rowing machine
    hand bike
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    1. Sound system
    2. Large monitor
    3. Computer

Even when I go to the gym the only machines I use are the treadmill (for warming up) and the non-electronic stationary bike when I do spin classes. Other than that, I use free weights, fit balls and floorspace when I'm at the gym.
    For home gym, I'm enjoying Insanity, and all you need are the 3 things I listed.
    Having an endless pull, as someone mentioned, would be very cool though. Even better if the bottom of it was a TV so you could watch some kind of swimming training / motivational video. Maybe have a pace-setter so you can see how you compare against your own PB, or against serious swimmers or against a personal target or something. That'd be pretty cool. And some way of getting music heard underwater. That's the main reason I get bored when I swim.
  • jaca
    jaca Posts: 25
    Options
    well i have a cross trainer, a boxing bag, a bike and a home gym already. so it would be a treadmill mainly. just need to find my wraps so i can use it.

i guess the only other thing would be a ab thingy
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    We have free weights, a smith machine with a pec deck and low pulley and pulldown. The bench has leg extension and curl on it and I have an EZ-curl bar and a set of power blocks for dumbells. When I hit 300 I am going to give myself a set of racked dumbells up to 75lbs. We also have a nordi-trac recumbant bike. The only thing that would make it a dream home gym would be about 6 more feet of room on one wall so I could keep the bench and smith machine a little farther apart as it gets crowded sometimes. We do plan on a heavy bag, but that will have to go in the barn. No room at the inn. I thought the dining room table could go, but I got vetoed on that idea. :-/ I though it was a good idea, no table eat less, makes sense. Okay that was the look I got from my wife too. :grumble: :noway:
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have one ruptured and two herniated disks in my back (car accident, many years ago), so exercise equipment is tricky for me. Right now I have a Proform recumbent stationary that is a lifesaver--I can go crazy, cardio-wise, on that bike and my back is spared. So my bike (or maybe an even nicer bike!) for sure. Then a Bowflex Ultimate 2 home gym, and then either a treadmill/climber or an elliptical, both of which my husband and son are fond of!

And all I need is a few thousand bucks!

Kris
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    A nice indoor swimming pool would be awesome.

Yup, a 50m pool is all I can think I'd like to have at my finger tips. Most other equipment is just designed to replicate activity I can do without a machine.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would have to have a treadmill, a leg press, and probably just a barbell so I could do squats, work on my back, my arms, etc.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Oh, well, if I had known an indoor POOL was on the table! Never mind the elliptical or the treadmill--I want a POOL!

Kris
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    squat cage, adjustable bench, olympic weight set.

you "need" nothing more.

:p
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    But this is about wants and dreams, not just needs ;-)

Kris
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Elliptical

Punching Bags (cause you gotta have the speed bag if you've got the big bag)

Bosu (2 so I can snowboard inside) and and exercise ball

and a few dumbbells, can't have a gym without dumbbells.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    But this is about wants and dreams, not just needs ;-)

Kris

that is what i want? lol.