Strength training

Options
I started a weight loss challenge at work and after I lost my first 20 pounds someone suggested strength training. The day after my first strength training the scale was up 4 pounds and has stayed there for a week. My question is strength training or no strength training to drop pounds. I'm 5'3 and 217 pounds, with a goal weight of 150.

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You will loose more inches with weights probably. You'll retain more muscle as well. But, if the number on the scale is important, then just a calorie deficit will do it.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I started a weight loss challenge at work and after I lost my first 20 pounds someone suggested strength training. The day after my first strength training the scale was up 4 pounds and has stayed there for a week. My question is strength training or no strength training to drop pounds. I'm 5'3 and 217 pounds, with a goal weight of 150.

If you worked out hard, your muscles hold water to help repair themselves. Expect the scale to jump. It's just a number. I went from a measly 102 lbs. to 114 lbs. (on a good day) from strength training but look more defined and fit than ever.
  • tinarayecole
    tinarayecole Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I'm just beyond ready to lose and feel better and want to do what actually works instead of the fad diets. I will keep at it!
  • liftzilla16
    liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Agreed with both of the above posts. Strength training can play a great role in weight loss if you do it right. Brief example: if you're going to the gym for an hour, hit cardio weights for 30 min and then weights cardio for 30 min. The cardio weights will deplete your body's natural energy so that the weights cardio can cut right into your stored fats and sugars. Key to weight loss right there, my friend!

It's also important to remember that weight fluctuates quite a bit throughout the day & week, so don't be alarmed if the number is sometimes higher than you're used to.

EDIT: Accidentally mixed the two up so I corrected myself, running on 3 hours of sleep here so forgive me!
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Agreed with both of the above posts. Strength training can play a great role in weight loss if you do it right. Brief example: if you're going to the gym for an hour, hit cardio for 30 min and then weights for 30 min. The cardio will deplete your body's natural energy so that the weights can cut right into your stored fats and sugars. Key to weight loss right there, my friend!

It's also important to remember that weight fluctuates quite a bit throughout the day & week, so don't be alarmed if the number is sometimes higher than you're used to.

So doing cardio before weights is key? I always do weights first because I don't like cardio much, but if it will help me to lose fat faster I might change. Any data to back this up?
  • liftzilla16
    edited March 2016
    Options
    dalila747 wrote: »
    Agreed with both of the above posts. Strength training can play a great role in weight loss if you do it right. Brief example: if you're going to the gym for an hour, hit cardio for 30 min and then weights for 30 min. The cardio will deplete your body's natural energy so that the weights can cut right into your stored fats and sugars. Key to weight loss right there, my friend!

So doing cardio before weights is key? I always do weights first because I don't like cardio much, but if it will help me to lose fat faster I might change. Any data to back this up?

Woops, I'm an idiot! I completely meant weights first, cardio second. The WEIGHTS will deplete your body's natural energy so that the CARDIO can cut right into your body's stored fats and sugars. Apologies for my mistake! :s Running on no sleep is apparently not good for my brain! lol

There's this writeup on why it's important to add strength training in with cardio for weight loss: http://www.isatori.com/94-Expert-Trainer.aspx
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    30 minutes will not deplete your glycogen stores - you have far more available than that!

And the fuel you use during exercise makes no impact on weight loss / fat loss. That is dependant on your calorie deficit over time.

The vast majority of people can do cardio or weights first - personal preference and their training priorities. I actually prefer to do them on separate days.
  • liftzilla16
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    30 minutes will not deplete your glycogen stores - you have far more available than that!

And the fuel you use during exercise makes no impact on weight loss / fat loss. That is dependant on your calorie deficit over time.

The vast majority of people can do cardio or weights first - personal preference and their training priorities. I actually prefer to do them on separate days.

I was just providing a quick example of what I meant about splitting them up, not saying that people should follow that exact routine lol. I agree with you on that.

However, I completely disagree with what you said about the energy burned during exercise having no impact. You're essentially suggesting that the only way to lose fat is to eat at a deficit? Read the article I posted above. Exercise and the energy burned during training plays a major role in weight loss.
  • sijomial
    edited March 2016
    Options

I was just providing a quick example of what I meant about splitting them up, not saying that people should follow that exact routine lol. I agree with you on that.

However, I completely disagree with what you said about the energy burned during exercise having no impact. You're essentially suggesting that the only way to lose fat is to eat at a deficit? Read the article I posted above. Exercise and the energy burned during training plays a major role in weight loss.
    @colematthews16
    Sorry but that article is just a collection of bro science nonsense.

You don't put your body into fat burning mode - you are doing it right now. You are doing it while you sleep. Get hooked up to a gas analyser in a sports science lab and it shows you are burning it immediately. A blend of fat and carbs is used all the time except at the extreme outer edges of exercise intensity. Burning fat for fuel is perfectly normal and no tricks required

You may well have 2000 cals of glycogen in your body - half an hour of exercise isn't going to put a dent in that anyway.

Fat oxidation over a 24hr period is what matters - it's your calorie deficit that drives it.

EPOC effect of weight training is negligible.

The only part I agree with is that whatever you do first may compromise the quality of what you do second. That will vary from significant to insignificant depending on the individual and their workouts.

Calories burned from exercise of course has an impact on your calorie balance.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Woops, I'm an idiot! I completely meant weights first, cardio second. The WEIGHTS will deplete your body's natural energy so that the CARDIO can cut right into your body's stored fats and sugars. Apologies for my mistake! :s Running on no sleep is apparently not good for my brain! lol

There's this writeup on why it's important to add strength training in with cardio for weight loss: http://www.isatori.com/94-Expert-Trainer.aspx

@colematthews16

You don't put your body into fat burning mode - you are doing it right now. You are doing it while you sleep. Get hooked up to a gas analyser in a sports science lab and it shows you are burning it immediately. A blend of fat and carbs is used all the time except at the extreme outer edges of exercise intensity. Burning fat for fuel is perfectly normal and no tricks required

You may well have 2000 cals of glycogen in your body - half an hour of exercise isn't going to put a dent in that anyway.

Fat oxidation over a 24hr period is what matters - it's your calorie deficit that drives it.

The only part I agree with is that whatever you do first may compromise the quality of what you do second. That will vary from significant to insignificant depending on the individual and their workouts.

I read the beginning of the article, and the first reason it gives for doing weight training first makes perfect sense, and it's actually the reason I do weight training first. With weight training, you really do want to be at your best when you tackle the weights. You don't want to be doing your reps when you're pooped out, that sort of defeats the purpose.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If you weight train pay more attention to your measurements than the scale. If you weight train you might gain weight on the scale, but lose inches / fat.
  • sijomial
    Options

@colematthews16

I read the beginning of the article, and the first reason it gives for doing weight training first makes perfect sense, and it's actually the reason I do weight training first. With weight training, you really do want to be at your best when you tackle the weights. You don't want to be doing your reps when you're pooped out, that sort of defeats the purpose.

You saw my comment about compromise? Certainly don't disagree weights first could be best for you.

I also see workouts where the intensity is so gentle (both cardio and strength) where it's irrelevant which you do first. Last night someone who was perfectly capable of walking up stairs was doing a 10kg leg press - doing a bit of cardio before that isn't going to make any difference!

Also someone may be prioritising the quality of their cardio training - not everyone's goals are the same so there isn't a universal rule. Strength training may just be an accessory for them.

My earlier comment in the thread is that I prefer to separate mine entirely. That suits my goals and my exercise intensity.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Right, weight is lost in the kitchen, body shape and fitness are defined by exercise.
    I personally think you should do both but if your goal is weight loss then your main battle is with your diet - my advice is to get a scale and weigh everything and log accurately to eat at a sensible deficit. You will lose weight if your calories in is less than your calories expended but you need to be honest about your intake.
    I am a big believer though that if you want to change your lifestyle then adding exercise makes you fitter, more focused and motivated and it makes you feel better when you can see yourself getting fitter and healthier rather than just losing weight. I definitely think strength training is great because it helps you to preserve some muscle mass. I would also advocate cardio to build fitness. I do a mixture of lifting, spinning and circuit training but I think you need to find things you like which you will look forward to doing otherwise you won't stick to it.

Good luck with your goals.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Right, weight is lost in the kitchen, body shape and fitness are defined by exercise.
    I personally think you should do both but if your goal is weight loss then your main battle is with your diet - my advice is to get a scale and weigh everything and log accurately to eat at a sensible deficit. You will lose weight if your calories in is less than your calories expended but you need to be honest about your intake.
    I am a big believer though that if you want to change your lifestyle then adding exercise makes you fitter, more focused and motivated and it makes you feel better when you can see yourself getting fitter and healthier rather than just losing weight. I definitely think strength training is great because it helps you to preserve some muscle mass. I would also advocate cardio to build fitness. I do a mixture of lifting, spinning and circuit training but I think you need to find things you like which you will look forward to doing otherwise you won't stick to it.

Good luck with your goals.

All of this! OP, if you're burning more than you eat, you will lose. However, exercise will help give you the body that you want. I personally like to do cardio, strength (bodyweight, I don't lift), and yoga but that's me. I pole dance 3-4 days a week, which is my strength and cardio rolled into one, and on the days I don't pole, I do yoga to help with flexibility and help my body recover from the pole.

You will find a happy medium, but it might take some time to find what you prefer. But make sure you're creating a healthy, sustainable deficit to lose the weight.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    The more lean mass you have, the more efficiently you will burn fat. I would suggest light weight, 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps per set. This will help more with toning. If you want to get some cardio and weight training at the same time. You can do some circuit training.
  • tinarayecole
    tinarayecole Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies, I'm beyond ready to not be over weight. There's a better life out there and I'm gonna have it!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies, I'm beyond ready to not be over weight. There's a better life out there and I'm gonna have it!

^^winning attitude. Love it.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Good for you! It is hard work initially but once you get into a routine and see results it gets easier. I have lost 60lbs and gained a massive amount of fitness over the last year. Add me if you think it would be helpful for support on your journey. I'm following stronglifts and do spinning and circuit training so if you have questions about those things or healthy diet options then I'm happy to help.

Best of luck to you - the boat battle is the psychological one and you've decided to get started so you're part of the way there!