meal prep ideas?!?! HELP

I've been making the same chicken and rice for a month now. There has to be something else to eat!

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,244 Member
    Do you like eggs? I make vegetable gratin-type meals for week lunches.
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    AddisonChanthalangsy Posts: 30 Member
    I love eggs. I have them every morning
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Tuna salad (I used avocado and lemon juice instead of mayo).
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    YouTube
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    ^^^ So helpful
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    I have a George Foreman grill that I usually use. When it comes to chicken I've been using 3-4 oz. breasts. I add different seasonings pending the meal (just to give it some variance). Or I may add some bbq sauce to it. I may just cut it up to top a salad or use it as a main item. I've done the rice bit, a small baked potato works nice with it. Sometimes I top it with some spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese. And I've made a sandwich out of a breast, by placing it on some lettuce, tomato, mayo. Just Google "chicken breast recipes" and it'll give you lots of ideas. I do pork loin, eggs, tuna, salmon, tilapia, and haddock. If I'm not really hungry I'll eat some yogurt with fruit. My downfall is vegetables. I really wasn't raised to eat them other than in Vegetable soup, So I would like to experiment with that.
  • haleytaylor88
    haleytaylor88 Posts: 21 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Oohs that sounds lovely! You tube is definitely a good place for meal ideas
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,244 Member
    edited March 2016
    Well you could make anything with veg and eggs.

For example, I take a courgette and slice it in circles. Put it in a casserole. Whisk eggs with milk and feta, season well and pour it over. Put it in the oven. That's all.

You can do this with almost any veg.
    I'm going to eat this week for lunch a spinach one. Chop some onions and put in a pot with just a drop of oil, when golden put in 300 or more grams of raw spinach and wait until wilted. Remove from the heat. Then whisk in eggs, some feta or cottage cheese or fromage frais and some milk. Stir and put in a casserole. Top with lots of halved cherry tomatoes and bake. Add some grated low fat mozzarella at some point.

Done the same with steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Just mix with the egg mixture and bake.

I have these for lunch with soup and leaf salad.

Always season well. My lunches come up to about 350cal with the soup and salad.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Meal prep ideas:
    A variety of cut up and sliced raw veggies to snack on raw or be used in a quick soup, thrown in a salad, added to a sandwich. (carrot, celery, beets, radish, boc choy, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, green - red - yellow pepper, mushroom (regular and portabella for use in a sandwich vs. a bun)
    Portioned out items like nuts and seeds, berries, cubes of cheese (if you consume dairy), again can be tossed into a salad or any recipe.
    Overnight oats
    On Sundays I usually make a couple of batches of grains to have in the fridge - brown rice, lentils, wheat-berry, buckwheat
    I don't eat meat but for my husband I prep a couple of different types of protein - chicken, pork, steak, sausage, etc. I leave them plain with a little salt & pepper that way during the week I can use it to make whatever type of dish is desired.
    I always have greens on hand - Kale, arugula, spinach and whatever else strikes me for the week. Easy to tear and use for a salad, in a soup.
    Again for my husband I usually have string cheese on hand.
    Apples, bananas, oranges, grapes.
    I don't eat eggs but I always boil a bunch for my husband. Other weeks I cook a bunch and make egg sandwiches, sometimes I make one big egg/veggie frittata for the week.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Most mornings I have either over medium eggs with a little goat cheese spinach & harissa served upon trader joes hash brown or a smoothie with lots of fresh fruit veggies & greens. Lunch is normally soups & salads. Somehow having the hot soup makes me feel more full satisfied & sustains me than if I just ate salad. Occasionally, I'll have a burger & I just don't eat the bun :)
    Crockpots are awesome cause you can dump a ton of ingredients in there, leave for the day, & come home to the aromas of hot wholesome meal ready & waiting for you.
    Also, Grilling season is almost upon us & is one of the healthiest styles of cooking. You can grill up all sorts of veggies & meats of choice or makes kebabs & it all tastes healthy & delicious! Plus you get to be outside! I LOVE grilled pineapple mmmmm.
    Buy some magazines that have recipes in them or go online or get yourself a new cook book! I like recipes that have pictures with them. Makes my mouth water & really gets me inspired to create in the kitchen.
    There's an awesome app called Any List & it will store recipes you find online or you can manually enter & it even converts ingredients into a grocery list. Once you've built up your queue you can just go through, click what meals you want for the week,& it will create your shopping list! Pretty awesome living in this modern technological era, eh?
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Thanks! I def have to try it.
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Well you could make anything with veg and eggs.

For example, I take a courgette and slice it in circles. Put it in a casserole. Whisk eggs with milk and feta, season well and pour it over. Put it in the oven. That's all.

You can do this with almost any veg.
    I'm going to eat this week for lunch a spinach one. Chop some onions and put in a pot with just a drop of oil, when golden put in 300 or more grams of raw spinach and wait until wilted. Remove from the heat. Then whisk in eggs, some feta or cottage cheese or fromage frais and some milk. Stir and put in a casserole. Top with lots of halved cherry tomatoes and bake. Add some grated low fat mozzarella at some point.

Done the same with steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Just mix with the egg mixture and bake.

I have these for lunch with soup and leaf salad.

Always season well. My lunches come up to about 350cal with the soup and salad.

Omg this sounds so good! Thank you so much!
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Nice easy fritatta
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Meal prep ideas:
    A variety of cut up and sliced raw veggies to snack on raw or be used in a quick soup, thrown in a salad, added to a sandwich. (carrot, celery, beets, radish, boc choy, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, green - red - yellow pepper, mushroom (regular and portabella for use in a sandwich vs. a bun)
    Portioned out items like nuts and seeds, berries, cubes of cheese (if you consume dairy), again can be tossed into a salad or any recipe.
    Overnight oats
    On Sundays I usually make a couple of batches of grains to have in the fridge - brown rice, lentils, wheat-berry, buckwheat
    I don't eat meat but for my husband I prep a couple of different types of protein - chicken, pork, steak, sausage, etc. I leave them plain with a little salt & pepper that way during the week I can use it to make whatever type of dish is desired.
    I always have greens on hand - Kale, arugula, spinach and whatever else strikes me for the week. Easy to tear and use for a salad, in a soup.
    Again for my husband I usually have string cheese on hand.
    Apples, bananas, oranges, grapes.
    I don't eat eggs but I always boil a bunch for my husband. Other weeks I cook a bunch and make egg sandwiches, sometimes I make one big egg/veggie frittata for the week.

I forgot all about boiling eggs! I guess I need to get a bunch of veggies, thanks for your help!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Weaz66 wrote: »
    I have a George Foreman grill that I usually use. When it comes to chicken I've been using 3-4 oz. breasts. I add different seasonings pending the meal (just to give it some variance). Or I may add some bbq sauce to it. I may just cut it up to top a salad or use it as a main item. I've done the rice bit, a small baked potato works nice with it. Sometimes I top it with some spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese. And I've made a sandwich out of a breast, by placing it on some lettuce, tomato, mayo. Just Google "chicken breast recipes" and it'll give you lots of ideas. I do pork loin, eggs, tuna, salmon, tilapia, and haddock. If I'm not really hungry I'll eat some yogurt with fruit. My downfall is vegetables. I really wasn't raised to eat them other than in Vegetable soup, So I would like to experiment with that.

I have the same issue with vegetables! I just started eating sautéed spinach.
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    coalz wrote: »
    Most mornings I have either over medium eggs with a little goat cheese spinach & harissa served upon trader joes hash brown or a smoothie with lots of fresh fruit veggies & greens. Lunch is normally soups & salads. Somehow having the hot soup makes me feel more full satisfied & sustains me than if I just ate salad. Occasionally, I'll have a burger & I just don't eat the bun :)
    Crockpots are awesome cause you can dump a ton of ingredients in there, leave for the day, & come home to the aromas of hot wholesome meal ready & waiting for you.
    Also, Grilling season is almost upon us & is one of the healthiest styles of cooking. You can grill up all sorts of veggies & meats of choice or makes kebabs & it all tastes healthy & delicious! Plus you get to be outside! I LOVE grilled pineapple mmmmm.
    Buy some magazines that have recipes in them or go online or get yourself a new cook book! I like recipes that have pictures with them. Makes my mouth water & really gets me inspired to create in the kitchen.
    There's an awesome app called Any List & it will store recipes you find online or you can manually enter & it even converts ingredients into a grocery list. Once you've built up your queue you can just go through, click what meals you want for the week,& it will create your shopping list! Pretty awesome living in this modern technological era, eh?

That's so funny! There's an app for basically everything. Thanks I will def check that out.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    My go-tos are bean salads and soups, classic protein-based salads (tuna, chicken, egg), marinated or roasted vegetables, egg dishes that reheat well or are good cold such as frittatas or Spanish tortillas, meat and cheese with crackers, and braised dishes with lean protein (particularly Indian and Mexican cuisine, but careful with fat).
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    I have yummy low-cal recipes for chili, spaghetti and tacos. If you make the sauce yourself and add your own spices it is healthier.
  • nlkklrocks
    nlkklrocks Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2016
    What about turkey, beef, or chicken chili? I also like to make a casserole with tons of veggies some ground turkey or chicken with tomatoes and maybe some ricotta cheese - that is always delicious to me (I'm Italian and it tastes remotely like italian food :)) - this week for instance I made a big ground turkey kale artichoke casserole with half a bag of whole wheat penne and half a container of part skim ricotta cheese. I also really like tacos (usually use lettuce instead of tortillas) and pork chops marinated in balsamic vinegar - so many options!! It is easy to get stuck in a rut, every once in a while I'll research like 4 or 5 new recipes to try so I continue to expand my recipe arsenal. Even if you still make chicken and rice - there are so many kinds of rice you can use and so many different kinds of seasonings you can use on the chicken to keep it interesting. Good luck!
  • TGraceS
    TGraceS Posts: 23 Member
    I just made this
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/easiest-pasta-and-broccoli-recipe.html?m=1

With mild Italian chicken sausage. Six servings, about 450 calories? The recipe underestimates calories by about 100, so make sure you log all the ingredients in the recipe maker here on MFP.
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    nlkklrocks wrote: »
    What about turkey, beef, or chicken chili? I also like to make a casserole with tons of veggies some ground turkey or chicken with tomatoes and maybe some ricotta cheese - that is always delicious to me (I'm Italian and it tastes remotely like italian food :)) - this week for instance I made a big ground turkey kale artichoke casserole with half a bag of whole wheat penne and half a container of part skim ricotta cheese. I also really like tacos (usually use lettuce instead of tortillas) and pork chops marinated in balsamic vinegar - so many options!! It is easy to get stuck in a rut, every once in a while I'll research like 4 or 5 new recipes to try so I continue to expand my recipe arsenal. Even if you still make chicken and rice - there are so many kinds of rice you can use and so many different kinds of seasonings you can use on the chicken to keep it interesting. Good luck!

Thank you for those wonderful ideas! I'm fairly new to cooking anything other than eggs and chicken. I'm excited to try all these new recipes and expand my cook book!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks! I have been looking at other threads to get more ideas!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    TGraceS wrote: »
    I just made this
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/easiest-pasta-and-broccoli-recipe.html?m=1

With mild Italian chicken sausage. Six servings, about 450 calories? The recipe underestimates calories by about 100, so make sure you log all the ingredients in the recipe maker here on MFP.

Wow that looks delicious! Thank you for this!
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    pan fry any white fish in coconut oil....use old bay, lemon pepper or whatever variety of spices. hit a side of sweet potato, brown rice, asparagus, quinoa, broccoli.
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    If anyone here has an open diary and would love to share, I would be so thankful! This journey is going to be tough but there's a lot of people already coming together to help each other. Amazing. Thanks everyone! (:
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    If anyone here has an open diary and would love to share, I would be so thankful! This journey is going to be tough but there's a lot of people already coming together to help each other. Amazing. Thanks everyone! (:

Mines open, add me
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Working from home today, so very sedentary and having a protein-heavy dinner. Light lunch:
    Chop, very tiny: raw carrot, raw parsnip, raw apple.
    Some wild rice.
    Throw it all in a pan and dry-grill them while you
    Make a quickie dressing of olive oil and fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
    When it's all heated up nicely, pour from pan to bowl and toss.
    20 minutes, start to finish. Next time, I'm going to add some nuts or seeds.
  • randilast
    randilast Posts: 99 Member
    Another great resource is eatingwell.com They have wonderful healthy recipes that you can tweak if need be.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I like to keep a number of thing prepared in the fridge so I'm not stuck with the same thing; various cooked meat, all sorts of steamed veggies, steamed rice, potato, tortillas, bread, and cartons of chicken broth and spices. That way I can have a taco, burrito, sandwich, soup, or anything I want like that very quickly and customize according to my macro needs for each meal. Sometimes I save the carbs for dinner and focus on the protein and veggies first.