Can't decide between Planet Fitness and Gold's Gym, Glen Burnie, MD

I've been thinking about joining a gym for about a month now and did a quick look at both of these clubs. I am probably going to go give each a try and have another look soon. I am 46 and trying to lose some weight. I am not looking to bulk up like a body builder, just get in better shape. I want to do cardio (well I don't really want to do it) and use the machines for the weight training part in a quick circuit. Maybe some free weights, but with no spotter/workout buddy, mostly machines. I don't want to spend hours in what ever one I choose. I know PF is limited in the free weight area, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I would probably do the $20 Black Card membership at PF and the $30 all inclusive at Gold's. I like that PF has free use of the massage chairs, aqua massage bed and tanning. I think Gold's has at least the aqua message bed, not sure what other amenities they have, like tanning. I don't really tan, but like having the option. Gold's does have the dry sauna, I prefer a steam room, but they are getting harder to find. I also think Gold's has free wifi, I don't think PF has any wifi in my area. Both places allow you to bring a free guest on the higher level membership, which would be cool for my wife or brother. Gold's also has free classes, which I probably won't use, but again like having the option.

I think I am worried about joining Gold's because I am afraid it's going to be too crowded and the crowd may be more geared to hard core weight lifters, or those that pretend to be. It's also a bit more expensive and I have heard scary stories about them being sneaky with the contracts/high pressure sales type things. I just don't want any surprises. PF seems like a decent place for average people. Some make fun of it for that reason, but I just want to go to a place where I can do what I need to do, with the stuff I want, or might want in the future since it's a year commitment.

Sorry for the long post, just typing it out and getting my ideas lined up helps a bit.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Great idea to check out both places. Be sure yo go at the time you will be working out, so you can assess the crowds. Good luck!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    If you plan on focusing on strength training, go to Golds. If you plan on hitting the machines, and maybe a treadmill, go to the cheapest option.

• Elsie_LV
    Elsie_LV Posts: 33 Member
    I do Golds. I like that they offer classes like Zumba and Boby Pump and Spinning and sometimes have free cross fit sessions and consultations with personal trainers and dietitians. It might differ depending on where the Gym is, but i like mine. :) That probably doesn't help you but which ever one you decide on, good luck!
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    I currently go to Gold's in Colorado, and I'm loving it so far. Lots of equipment and a wide variety of people. You do have your hardcore lifters, but you also have quite a few people trying to get in shape as well as people who are moderate lifters. The gym has its busy days, but also its slow days. The best thing you can do is try and get a guest pass or trial period to check both out and see what is going to work best for you.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you plan on focusing on strength training, go to Golds. If you plan on hitting the machines, and maybe a treadmill, go to the cheapest option.

This.
    And, have you actually tried the extra amenities for the extra $10? I had a PF black card and only ever used it about 5 times to bring a friend. The rest of the time it was basically a waste of an extra $10. I went for the treadmills and some of the weight machines until I got more involved with wanting weight training and classes. Then I cancelled my membership and joined somewhere else that has both. (Like Golds, only it is our local hospital-version of Golds)
  • I love planet fitness, but I like how large it is and the sections they have (30 minute workout, etc). I still get to my weights and doing squatting with my weights. I am find it better for my personal self but I am easily intimated and like how I feel comfortable there. Go check out both and get a feel for them. I bring a lot of family/friends and use the tanning bed with my black card.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    I would save your money and begin with exercising at home. If you can dedicate 30 days of at-home exercising, you may gain better control and better understand your goals. Use that time to read the fitness forums and learn what works for you --see where you gravitate.

IMHO a gym offering tanning is not a healthy place. And, as another poster pointed out, you may not even use those amenities.

Take the time and figure out your main goal. Dedicate yourself and focus on that goal. If you can commit yourself to 30 days of at-home 10 to 15-minute circuits you may make better decisions.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    The YMCA often has great prices, equipment and classes and it is an org which does community service as a bonus.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I vote for Gold's so you can take classes.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    rileyes wrote: »
    I would save your money and begin with exercising at home. If you can dedicate 30 days of at-home exercising, you may gain better control and better understand your goals. Use that time to read the fitness forums and learn what works for you --see where you gravitate.

IMHO a gym offering tanning is not a healthy place. And, as another poster pointed out, you may not even use those amenities.

Take the time and figure out your main goal. Dedicate yourself and focus on that goal. If you can commit yourself to 30 days of at-home 10 to 15-minute circuits you may make better decisions.

My gym is only $35/month and comes with unlimited classes. I love my teachers and I take yoga and zumba. Totally worth the $35. I do have DVDs to do some yoga at home but really for the price my gym can't be beat. I got a special when my old gym closed.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    I think it's a good idea to check out both, and especially the specific locations you would be using. I'm sure the amenities vary by location.

I go to Gold's in Utah, and I really like it. There is a lot of diversity among who are there - some are very fit, others are just starting on their journey. Some focus on building muscle and others prefer cardio and machines. It does get somewhat crowded during peak times (right after work, for example) but the only thing I've ever really waited for is the power cage (a free weight tool) and occasionally a bench. They do have classes, which are quite popular (don't know if that is available at PF).

Also check out the terms - are you signing a contract or is it simply month-to-month. That may be a big factor, too.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    I live in MD as well & I like PF better than Gold's. Gold's (at least in my area) has a reputation for being overpriced & also a gathering place for meatheads lol. But see if you can get a tour of both places when you would likely be there. Sometimes you can also attend the classes by paying for them at Gold's so you can try those too without the membership.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    You're overthinking this. Join the one that's most convenient to your location. Avoid signing for any option that lasts longer than a year. Learn all the things, try all the things, do all the things. 6 months down the line you'll have a better idea of what you like and what your goals are and you'll be in a better position to evaluate if a different gym has more value to you.

For right now, just get started.
  • pwgphoto
    pwgphoto Posts: 10 Member
    Well I went to check out Planet Fitness again and liked it. Then I went to Gold's and met with the employee who showed me around a few weeks ago. He told me they had a new option and for $20 a month I could get everything the $30 plan offered except the child care. That was OK with me since I have no kids and I made the mistake of signing up, then working out.

As I was working out I started getting the feeling that the place was not right for me and where I am in my life now. Would have been great 20 years ago, but I kept thinking that PF was probably more my pace now. I need the simple machines and simple program to lose weight and get in better shape. I was like a deer in headlights walking around Gold's with all the experienced weight lifters. I also think PF had more machines that fit my needs. I realized I didn't need a bunch of free weights at this point in my life.

I had to bite the bullet and tell the guy that signed me up I wanted out of the contract I just signed an hour before hand. It shouldn't be a problem, because there is a three day period to cancel. He had me sign a cancellation form and said that was all I need to do. I hope so, because I don't feel like fighting with them if I am charged later. Especially if I join PF. I don't want to and can't pay for both.

We will see. Thanks for the replies.
  • DavPul
    pwgphoto wrote: »
    Well I went to check out Planet Fitness again and liked it. Then I went to Gold's and met with the employee who showed me around a few weeks ago. He told me they had a new option and for $20 a month I could get everything the $30 plan offered except the child care. That was OK with me since I have no kids and I made the mistake of signing up, then working out.

As I was working out I started getting the feeling that the place was not right for me and where I am in my life now. Would have been great 20 years ago, but I kept thinking that PF was probably more my pace now. I need the simple machines and simple program to lose weight and get in better shape. I was like a deer in headlights walking around Gold's with all the experienced weight lifters. I also think PF had more machines that fit my needs. I realized I didn't need a bunch of free weights at this point in my life.

I had to bite the bullet and tell the guy that signed me up I wanted out of the contract I just signed an hour before hand. It shouldn't be a problem, because there is a three day period to cancel. He had me sign a cancellation form and said that was all I need to do. I hope so, because I don't feel like fighting with them if I am charged later. Especially if I join PF. I don't want to and can't pay for both.

We will see. Thanks for the replies.

That middle paragraph? None of that is true. None of it.

But if you'd rather go somewhere else, go ahead. It's your life and your money. Just get started someplace and get comfortable with the idea of working out. Please continue to read threads in this section and I think you'll eventually realize that those free weights ARE for you and your needs. But there's time for that later. Just get started.
  • pwgphoto
    DavPul, not to argue, but how can you say none of that is true, these are my feelings and they are true to me, it's an opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I'd first look at which is the most convenient. The less miles I have to drive there, the better. Then I'd look at accessibility. 24 hour is great UNLESS you have to wait 20 minutes to use whatever you want to use. Then I'd look at cost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    pwgphoto wrote: »
    DavPul, not to argue, but how can you say none of that is true, these are my feelings and they are true to me, it's an opinion.

That's a fair question and I'll try to address all of the issues you raised.

1. Machines are machines. There is nothing about the PF machines that's going to make them simpler to use or a better fit for the current version of you versus 20 years younger version.
    2. Contrary to popular belief, free weights are simpler to use than machines. Here's a barbell and here's some weight, learn basic form and lift the barbell. Machines have a multitude of adjustments, don't fit non average size bodies very well, offer very little in the way of instruction, and will vary from location to location.
    3. You can find a very basic free weight program that only requires you to learn 4-5 simple exercises that will strengthen your entire body. Compare that to a typical machine circuit where you might use 4 or 5 different machines just to work your legs. And even then a lot of your stabilizing muscles will have gone untouched.
    4. That's not to say machines won't help you at all. I still say to go ahead and join and only use machines if you want (just go work out ) but if you use the machines in a limited gym it's gonna be real hard to transition over to more effective free weight workouts. Not only won't you have the equipment, you won't have other people to watch use the free weights so that you get more comfortable with the idea. If a person is going to learn to swim they have to be around water.
    5. Those experienced lifters may seem intimidating to you now (as they once did to me) but i promise that those will be some of the nicest people in the gym. If you need a spot or help with a particular exercise pretty much everyone will stop to assist you if you ask. They aren't judging you and they aren't wishing that you weren't in"their" section or anything like that.

I think that covers the points you raised but I'd be happy to address anything i missed or any concerns you may have. Personally, if Gold's and PF are the same price that makes PF a ripoff as they offer so much less, but id I'd still factor location as my #1 concern and then equipment and pricing as a really close #2 & 3.
  • DavPul
    Adding #6. The machine crowd at most gyms is a different cast of characters than the free weight crowd. So there's no reason to specifically avoid a gym simply because it has a decent free weight area. Even if a person thinks they don't want to be around all the GymBros they see in a place like Gold's, odds are they aren't in the machine section doing a bunch of leg abductions anyways.
  • pwgphoto
    edited March 2016
    You also make some valid points DavPul and as I said I am not trying to argue. Machines are machines and at this point in my life that is what I am looking to use. I used to use mostly free weights and had a pretty decent home setup in my basement. I stopped using it years ago and now want to get back into it with machines and more cardio than I used to do in the past. I am not looking to increase bulk, but lose weight and define what I have.

And I in no way meant to make it seem like I was putting down the more experienced gym folk. They really seemed to know what they were doing. I was more trying to convey that after I signed up, I was turned loose with no guidance on even how to use the equipment. I felt like a deer in the headlights. The machines were all over the place and I found it tough to know where to begin. Even the guy that signed me up, who was really nice, said I should have come to him and asked.

I went to both gyms today and Planet Fitness had it's own short comings, but they seemed to have more of the fitness equipment I want to use at this point in my life. Again if I were trying to become a hard core work out person Gold's would definitely be the place. But for now I "feel" like it has more things I won't use and less things I will. That may change after some time at another gym and I will deal with that when it comes. A year is not that long and if I really want to change I can get out of a PF contract for a reasonable fee. I may all be a moot point if Gold's doesn't cancel my contract. If they keep billing me, I will go there.

DavPul, I really do appreciate your comments.