Vegetarian and struggling to lose weight

Options
Hi I am 5'4 age 52 and am currently 177lb. I'm a vegetarian and struggle to eat the amount of calories that I should, hence I find it hard to lose weight. My average intake is around 900 calories per day and I'm pretty much a three meal a day person. I live in Austria so don't have access to soya based mince etc so my meals are all literally veg or salad based apart from an odd veggie burger. I cut out bread as it makes me feel bloated. I don't snack on crisps, choc etc either. Looking for some helpful advice please

Replies

• nutritionK
    nutritionK Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Being in a low calorie diet for a very long time can be dangerous for you and your metabolism, you should try at least increase to 1200 calories and eat 5 meals per day (3 large meals and 2 healthy snacks), drink 1.5 lt of water daily and exercise regularly, that way you will increase your metabolism and it will be easier for you to lose weight. Add some variety to the diet, rice, quinoa, cereals, pasta and fruits and veggies watching the way you cook them.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day were you eating when you gained the weight? Usually a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. Have you been on a very low calorie diet for a long time?
  • shortie2406
    shortie2406 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I used to be a big cheese eater but have tried cutting down on that. I'm not consciously on a low calorie diet but just eat lots of veg and salad. The only time my calories increase drastically is if I eat bread etc.
    Until 10 years ago I rode horses and was physically working too. On the loss of my horse, I also changed job to a more sedentary role and think the weight has just slowly gone on. I've run two half marathons and was around 12 stone at the time even though I ran a lot.
  • shortie2406
    shortie2406 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks nutritionk. I did up everything last year and it was easy as hubby was at work. We've since taken early retirement, moved to a new country and started a new business and I find the day just disappears. I like to exercise first thing in the morning but with guests leaving at that time it's not always easy to do. Will take on board what you've said and hope it gives me the kick start I need
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cook your food in oil. That'll increase your calories and improve nutrient absorption.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Beans. Can you cook dry beans? Eat them like a soup, a side dish or add them to your salads.

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Also nuts.