Am I going too fast?

Options
So, I'm just starting on my weight loss journey. I'm a 34 year old male, 5'9", about 255lbs, and eat about 1870 calories a day, which is my MFP calorie estimate (set to sedentary as I have a "desk" job). The thing is I have dropped 4 pounds this week and it's worrisome. I want to be excited and happy, but in the back of my mind I know they say you should only drop 1-2 pounds per week. I don't feel that hungry at the end of the day and I make sure to eat as close to my MFP calories as possible so I don't think I'm starving. So, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong and/or what I'm doing wrong. I just want to do this right because I've tried a couple times and always slipped. Anyone been here and have any advice?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's normal to have a big drop at first because you lose a lot of water weight. Give it a few more weeks then you can readjust if needed.
  • andrewjb81
    andrewjb81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, I should've added it's been about 2-3 weeks now since I've started. :)
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 1-2/week is what is recommended if you're overweight to a certain degree. You will experience a decent amount of pounds lost for a while because you have significant weight to lose. Water weight is a contributing factor, but once you get going...real fat will be included in those numbers and it is okay to be more than 2lbs/week....at first.
  • nutritionK
    nutritionK Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    By decreasing your energy intake and increasing the amount of calories you burn you will loose 1 pound of fat by every 3540 calories. Overweight people have more mass so it requires more energy to burn calories during the physical activity; And also a higher basal metabolism ( calories you burn while in rest) and worst eating habits so when you correct those bad habits and start burning some calories you will think you are going to fast but give it a little time you will start losing weight 2 pounds/week when you lose the excess of water, your body adjusts to healthy food and exercise that way you will be able to make your weightloss sustainable in a long term.

[Edited by MFP Mods]