Treadmill Absolute Beginner

Options
Monna2
Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
Hi Guys
I am an absolute beginner, a typical couch potato :D
I recently bought a treadmill, and I feel so confused about all the different workout options online. And my legs hurt like hell after my first 10 min!!
I try to start at 4 km and raise it up to 5 after 5 min. I then try to raise it to 6 , but that kills me and I stop.
I don't know the best speed for me and whether I should start interval training right away? It's just so diffucult.
I am 117 kg.164 cm.29 years old.

Thank you.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Walk. At whatever pace you find comfortable enough to keep a conversation. Aim for something like 30 minutes. If you can accomplish this, decide what you want to do next: walk faster or walk longer. If you are at the point where you can comfortably walk fast for at least half an hour, then you can choose your next steps: increase distance, or add jogging intervals (slow jogging intervals). A program like C25K will help.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You bought a treadmill? Sorry to hear it.

Treadmills - unnecessarily cluncking up houses for many years....
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When I started on my treadmill back in November I could only manage 5 min at 3.5km/hr. I then slowly increased the time I spent on there by just a minute extra a day and once I was up to 30 mins I started working intervals of faster speeds. The C25K program is great for that, you don't have to run at the faster pace you can just walk faster. When I'm walking I now work at a base pace of 4.1km/hr with 5.1km/hr intervals (once complete week 4 I'll start again and up my pace by 0.1km/hr).

By doing this I've increased my standard walking pace to around 13 min/km while pushing a buggy and gained enough confidence to actually start the C25K from scratch running outside.

Oh and I'm a rather short 5'1, with little legs and 237lb, so for me 5km/hr is quite fast. (I have to start jogging at 6km/hr)
  • tinaisstillwell
    tinaisstillwell Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for starting! That's the most important part. Next, is head space! Decide that you are worth taking care of! Set some goals-weight loss, fitness goal, such as walk a 5K. Don't worry about incline on the TM. Just keep doing it. Then every week you'll see that it gets a little easier, so up the speed and/or incline. I would also recommend some light weights-you can start with canned veggies. Lift in all directions-front, side, over-head, back. When you find the difficult spots, focus on them, because that's where you're the weakest. You'll see that you'll gradually gain strength and endurance, and will need heavier weights!!
    Hang in there! You can do this!! You'll get a lot of support and help on this site! Good Luck!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    You bought a treadmill? Sorry to hear it. Good for you!

Treadmills - unnecessarily clunking up houses for many years... A great idea for when you can't get outside to run.

There you go. Fixed it for you.

We get it. You don't like treadmills. But I don't think I'm the only person here who uses a treadmill as well as running outside. It isn't an either/or situation.

Nice one OP. Hope you enjoy it.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    There you go. Fixed it for you.

We get it. You don't like treadmills. But I don't think I'm the only person here who uses a treadmill as well as running outside. It isn't an either/or situation.

Nice one OP. Hope you enjoy it.
    Very good. I couldn't agree more! I have to use a treadmill, or I wouldn't run at all. I'm either running at 4:45 AM in the gym, or squeezing in a few minutes on the treadmill at home. We have 3 special needs children at home and I can't leave my wife alone with them for extended periods of time (aside from work). So, it's treadmill (or stationary bike, elliptical, etc.) or no cardio at all for me.

Regarding the OP... you've gotten some good advice. I hope it helps you meet your goals!

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Walk. At whatever pace you find comfortable enough to keep a conversation. Aim for something like 30 minutes. If you can accomplish this, decide what you want to do next: walk faster or walk longer. If you are at the point where you can comfortably walk fast for at least half an hour, then you can choose your next steps: increase distance, or add jogging intervals (slow jogging intervals). A program like C25K will help.
    +1.agree fully.great positive advice.

4km proabably too far as a starting point,try 1k or so then add one lap (400 metres) as you feel stronger.

treadmill haters have no place answering geniune questions for help imo.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Go for endurance instead of speed. It's better to be able to walk slower for longer than to walk fast for only 5 minutes. Speed will come naturally as your fitness improves.

Interval training is great, but its for more advanced workouts. Beginner basics is to build endurance.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oh I am a treadmill JUNKIE, nothing has been better for my thighs/butt/stomach. Great choice!

Personally, I'm a walker. Running gets a quick burn, but training for endurance may suit you better right now (as well as earn a really nice calorie burn, just a tad slower). Can your treadmill raise up at an inclined angle? If it can, I suggest this. It's like hiking, you'll really feel the difference.

I typically do a warmup of 2.5mph at 0 incline for 2 minutes, then 3.5mph at level 4 incline for 10 minutes, then 4.5mph at level 6 incline for 30 miniutes, then back down to 3.5mph at level 4 incline for 10 minutes, and a 2min cooldown. So roughly an hour. I suggest watching documentaries so you don't get bored :p
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i vary between treading and road running.
    start slow. intervals are nice because it helps you build up your abilities.
    i would highly suggest a structured program like c25k
    and i would also suggest getting fitted for running shoes. and be perfectly honest with the associate helping you. i find the most knowledgeable people are at local running stores
  • Monna2
    Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you, guys, for all this good advice. I really appreciate your help. :smiley:
    I think I will try to focus on endurance as you said. So, I guess I can start at 4km/hr and try to keep that pace for 20 minutes twice a day.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try the Pacer App. I got it initially to count my steps since I can't really afford those nifty fitness counters. But if you upgrade to the premium version they have some walking and running programs. You can try the walking one and then go to the walking to running one. That one starts you off at one minute light jogging with 2 minutes walking, the next one is 2 minutes jogging with 1 minute walking, etc. I found that it progressed to fast for me, but you can repeat the days as many times as you want. So for example, you can do day 1 (1 min jogging with 2 min walking) for as long as you need to move up to the second day. I'm sure that you can find the information for free but I really benefit from having the information on the app. You also get diet and fitness advice which I have found to be pretty helpful. The year is $20 or you can do monthly for $3 I believe.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    And regarding the whole treadmill debate, if you don;t have a gym a treadmill is a great idea. It's way easier on your joints and bones than running on pavement is. A few years ago I started running on the street and after a few weeks I could barely walk 15 minutes without my knee hurting a ton. So far I've had no problems on the treadmill.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I saw the title to this thread and HAD to post. For the past two years I've been a loyal treadmill runner. Increasing my running speed from 4MPH (for 10-15 minutes) to 8MPH (for 20-minutes). I was constantly told and lectured by my podiatrist (I have terrible feet problems) about how even for people with good feet, the treadmill is absolutely horrific for bones, joints and tendons within your feet. I ignored this. Two weeks ago I was running for 4-minutes ONLY and POP - tore the tendon in the sole of my "good" foot. BE CAUTIOUS. The way your feet pound on the treadmill is not the same as running outside. It puts way more pressure and stress on all parts of your feet. I will NEVER run on a treadmill again and will advise everyone else to avoid it also.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I started a Couch-to-5k plan in January - on my treadmill - as the weather in the Northeast is not conducive to running outside - it starts off slow and builds as it goes. I was not a runner before starting and very out of shape - this past Thursday I ran my first mile outside without walking (it wasn't fast :) ) but it wasn't supposed to be. The plan has you run slow to build endurance. I have had success with it...

Here is the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Ditto @mmteixeira . I started doing a C25K (couch-to-5K) program back in January myself. I am NOT a runner! Never have been. I started out running for 60 seconds. I just finished a week of running 25 minutes straight three times. The endurance will come, trust me.

As far as the treadmill, I think it depends on the model as far as how easy it is on your feet/legs. I have been doing my program solely on the treadmill since I started (weather in the Midwest still sucks, and if I have to run outside in the cold, I won't run period), and I haven't had any problems. Sorry you had a bad injury @peaceout_aly . I would probably swear off of my treadmill if I blew out my tendon, too.

It is recommended that outdoor road runners use the blacktop pavement in the streets to run, not the concrete/sidewalk. Apparently the asphalt is a little softer and more forgiving than concrete, for whatever that's worth.

But, I would whole-heartedly recommend using a C25K program. I used the ZenLabs version, but there are a ton out there. My app started with 60 seconds of jogging, 90 seconds of walking, for the first week. And if you need to repeat a week, then do it! Who cares? I had to repeat Week 6. Best decision I made using the program! You could repeat Week 1 as many times as you needed if you felt like it.

One thing I learned, most of my challenges were mental, not physical. My body could do more than my brain thought it could. Get yourself fitted for some good shoes at a running store if you can and then go to town!

Good luck!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Find a pace you can endure for 20-30 minutes or more without serious pain or discomfort. If you want to stretch the distance, increase one workout a week by no more that 10%. Increase your speed gradually if you like. The old "no pain no gain" idea I grew up with is bunk. Listen to music or watch TV while walking if you like. The more pleasant you can make it, the more you can stick with it.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can. If you can't jog, just walk. If you can't do a steep incline, that's fine, do a lesser incline. With each session of walking or jogging or whatever your pace is, you'll get closer to the next step up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Sound advice.

Getting fit(ter) needn't be unpleasant if approached rationally. Start at a comfortable pace and gradually increase the amount of time / distance that you're going in modest increments. Once you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes or so try increasing the pace or the incline - the objective is that you're always progressing (speed, time, incline)

Be consistent, aim for at least 3 or 4 sessions per week. Unfortunately getting back into shape is a lot harder than becoming sedentary is but the rewards are very real in both health and your sense of accomplishment.