It's that time of the month...

Options
I gained 2-3lbs and it just started.
Bloat or PMS cravings?
Do you ladies exercise while on your period?

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just exercise through it. Actually makes cramps easier to deal with
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I started my weightloss journey on feburary 10th about a week later I realized i had my period while using the washroom in the morning before I was supposed to weigh in..... it said I had gained just over 5 pounds..... I was crushed.... but I kept on. A week later the 5 pounds were gone plus my expected weight loss for that week. So I wouldn't sweat it. As long as you follow your calorie goal and you're in the proper deflict you will lose weight. It's very Likley just *water weight* and it should leave with your period.

I also experience water weight gain if I had alot of sodium and that can take a few days to go away.

As for exercise if you can go for it. Exercise is said to help most people with cramps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I exercise as soon as my Advil takes effect. If I didn't, I'd probably gain 1 pound every month, lol.
  • nutritionK
    nutritionK Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cravings? we have all been there. But that does not mean you need to give up your diet or your exercise plan. Hormones are the responsible for this salty, sweet and fatty cravings and mood changes. If you are in a diet you won't sabotage the whole week if you eat one piece of chocolate but you need to be aware if you eat the whole bar.
    When you are in those day try to eat a little bit more of protein for breakfast it will make you feel more satisfied during the day and keep your sugar levels steady. If you are feeling bloated exercise will make you feel a lot better. Drink plenty of water and stay away from high sodium foods. If you are craving ice cream try natural yogurt and fruits, if you crave something salty try a cup of popcorn, if you are craving chocolate have dark chocolate with some nuts.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I do exercise through it - even when I really dont want to! Exercise actually tends to help with the cramps and bloat for me. And yep - cravings all the way. I just have a small piece of chocolate, a single serving of chips, etc or whatever it is I am craving. I dont completely deprive myself - but I dont go nuts either!
  • m_keezy35
    m_keezy35 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone ! Good to know that the weight gain will go away when its over. As for exercise, i'm gonna give it a try ! :)
  • tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey mrs, I'm about due mine and I'll be honest I'm rollercoasting between wanting to eat everything in sight and feeling sick to my stomach. Ah the joys of being a woman!

I normally put on a few (1-2) lbs each TOTM, but like @LushFix said above, it's usually gone by the next week. Try to keep hydrated even if you feel like you're swelling up like a balloon! :)
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Mine also makes me want to eat chocolate and then once I have had that I want salt! I also just make sure I log and don't go over. I usually lose my 5lb gain the next week when . is gone!
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes to all. I exercise. I bloat and I crave chocolate real bad. I started taking a water pill. Helps with bloat alot.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    For me, my period varies month to month. But generally, I do still stick to my exercise routine. This past month, my cramps vanished while working out, and after about 5-10 minutes after my workout ended, they were back in full force. So for me exercise isn't always a cure for cramps, some months it does take care of them completely, others, not so much.

I try to eat about 100-200 or maintence calories more when I know that it's PMS/period related hunger.

I just try to accommodate my body and hormones as best I can, while sticking to my goals as much as possible. It's all a balancing act.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I feel really sluggish the first day of when I have mine and I don't want to exercise or leave my bed, I tend to pick and snack but not eat full meals. I'm mostly on a lot of drugs from the doctor for the pain and said drugs once made me really sick. So I tend to take it easy that first day so I don't stress my body out. The other days of the week I'm back to normal and exercising!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yay, my TOM, too :o. I always get a 2-3lb shift on the scale, it's my warning that menses will commence shortly, lol. But it typically floats back down in 3-4 days. As far as what I do, I pop 2 Advil and place the feminine protection and carry on. My strength training usually sucks, but I just do a deload week, and do some extra yoga stretching (Google yoga for PMS).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mcvt wrote: »
    Do you ladies exercise while on your period?

Yes, of course.

I've only taken a couple days off exercise in the last year, and it didn't have anything to do with my TOM.

Oh, and I lost one kilogram just before starting my TOM this month. :)