meal prep ideas?!?! HELP

Options

Replies

• TGraceS
    TGraceS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just made this
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/easiest-pasta-and-broccoli-recipe.html?m=1

With mild Italian chicken sausage. Six servings, about 450 calories? The recipe underestimates calories by about 100, so make sure you log all the ingredients in the recipe maker here on MFP.
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    AddisonChanthalangsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    nlkklrocks wrote: »
    What about turkey, beef, or chicken chili? I also like to make a casserole with tons of veggies some ground turkey or chicken with tomatoes and maybe some ricotta cheese - that is always delicious to me (I'm Italian and it tastes remotely like italian food :)) - this week for instance I made a big ground turkey kale artichoke casserole with half a bag of whole wheat penne and half a container of part skim ricotta cheese. I also really like tacos (usually use lettuce instead of tortillas) and pork chops marinated in balsamic vinegar - so many options!! It is easy to get stuck in a rut, every once in a while I'll research like 4 or 5 new recipes to try so I continue to expand my recipe arsenal. Even if you still make chicken and rice - there are so many kinds of rice you can use and so many different kinds of seasonings you can use on the chicken to keep it interesting. Good luck!

Thank you for those wonderful ideas! I'm fairly new to cooking anything other than eggs and chicken. I'm excited to try all these new recipes and expand my cook book!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks! I have been looking at other threads to get more ideas!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Options
    TGraceS wrote: »
    I just made this
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/easiest-pasta-and-broccoli-recipe.html?m=1

With mild Italian chicken sausage. Six servings, about 450 calories? The recipe underestimates calories by about 100, so make sure you log all the ingredients in the recipe maker here on MFP.

Wow that looks delicious! Thank you for this!
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    pan fry any white fish in coconut oil....use old bay, lemon pepper or whatever variety of spices. hit a side of sweet potato, brown rice, asparagus, quinoa, broccoli.
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Options
    If anyone here has an open diary and would love to share, I would be so thankful! This journey is going to be tough but there's a lot of people already coming together to help each other. Amazing. Thanks everyone! (:
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If anyone here has an open diary and would love to share, I would be so thankful! This journey is going to be tough but there's a lot of people already coming together to help each other. Amazing. Thanks everyone! (:

Mines open, add me
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Working from home today, so very sedentary and having a protein-heavy dinner. Light lunch:
    Chop, very tiny: raw carrot, raw parsnip, raw apple.
    Some wild rice.
    Throw it all in a pan and dry-grill them while you
    Make a quickie dressing of olive oil and fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
    When it's all heated up nicely, pour from pan to bowl and toss.
    20 minutes, start to finish. Next time, I'm going to add some nuts or seeds.
  • randilast
    randilast Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Another great resource is eatingwell.com They have wonderful healthy recipes that you can tweak if need be.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I like to keep a number of thing prepared in the fridge so I'm not stuck with the same thing; various cooked meat, all sorts of steamed veggies, steamed rice, potato, tortillas, bread, and cartons of chicken broth and spices. That way I can have a taco, burrito, sandwich, soup, or anything I want like that very quickly and customize according to my macro needs for each meal. Sometimes I save the carbs for dinner and focus on the protein and veggies first.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    zucchini noodles, with turkey or chicken meat balls.
  • Maho2011
    Maho2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try this website, dinnerdaily.com for a small price it gives you a weekday menu with shopping list. I do the veg/seafood option and the most calories one dinner has been was 600, most are around 400. I like it because when I turned pescetarian a year and half ago I had no idea what to eat for the veg meals. This gives me at least 3 different veg recipes per week that are quick to make, HEALTHY(bonus!) and for the most part-taste great. I was eating way too many carbs/eggs before and gained as a vegetarian. Now I am doing better.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There are some terrific web sites with loads of recipes like All Recipies, Food .com, etc.
    Get some help from my friend Google.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is a really easy way to sub veggies for carbs. You can really make a variety of flavors and dishes with it too. This last week I baked a whole squash, then removed the flesh, part of it went into a "Tex Mex" like dish with tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime juice and cilantro. I topped it with light sour cream and avocado ( you could also add chicken) the other half of my squash was sauteed with zucchini, chicken and pesto. Both dishes were pretty good.

You can also branch out from rice and try other grains, quinoa is one of my favorites, I saute onions in a little butter, then add the grains and let them toast for a few minutes before adding chicken broth to finish. You can also add just about any flavor profile to quinoa - for example I've made Asian and Italian inspired quinoa recipes by adding veggies and spices to change the flavor.
  • jlcnuke
    jlcnuke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How many calories per meal are you looking for? If you're looking for something else tasty over rice I'd highly recommend this recipe (I add ~3-4 tbsp cajun seasoning to it) http://everydaydishes.com/simple-food-recipes/one-pan-creole-shrimp/
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Options
    wisenbsd wrote: »
    pan fry any white fish in coconut oil....use old bay, lemon pepper or whatever variety of spices. hit a side of sweet potato, brown rice, asparagus, quinoa, broccoli.

Now that sounds good as heck! Lol I'm thawing out some fish right now, thanks!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Working from home today, so very sedentary and having a protein-heavy dinner. Light lunch:
    Chop, very tiny: raw carrot, raw parsnip, raw apple.
    Some wild rice.
    Throw it all in a pan and dry-grill them while you
    Make a quickie dressing of olive oil and fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
    When it's all heated up nicely, pour from pan to bowl and toss.
    20 minutes, start to finish. Next time, I'm going to add some nuts or seeds.

This is perfect! I spend hours trying to cook, but only 20 mins to make? I'll def take it!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Options
    randilast wrote: »
    Another great resource is eatingwell.com They have wonderful healthy recipes that you can tweak if need be.

Thanks, I'll look into it!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Options
    I like to keep a number of thing prepared in the fridge so I'm not stuck with the same thing; various cooked meat, all sorts of steamed veggies, steamed rice, potato, tortillas, bread, and cartons of chicken broth and spices. That way I can have a taco, burrito, sandwich, soup, or anything I want like that very quickly and customize according to my macro needs for each meal. Sometimes I save the carbs for dinner and focus on the protein and veggies first.

I like that idea, now time for me to prepare lots of different foods. Thanks!
  • AddisonChanthalangsy
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    zucchini noodles, with turkey or chicken meat balls.

Did you say chicken meat balls?