Climbing On and Falling off the wagon

It seems every time I start to change I do good for 3 or 4 days then I eat something bad or skip a workout then I tell myself it;s okay I'll start over on Monday. I cannot count how many fruitless Monday starts I've had and by Thursday or Friday I'm back to my old habits. I take some comfort in the fact that I keep at it.

But I want to know what was the thing that kept you disciplined?? I'm a hard worker and I am disciplined in most all other areas of my life but when it comes to my diet and exercise my inner brat always comes out. Like why do I have to work so hard to lose it when I see people scarf down any and everything and still look good :brokenheart:

If you could tell me how you stay on track it would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,544 Member
    One day at a time, one meal at a time. That's the only way to do it. Believe me, I have days where I'm so good until around 4:00 then bam-I"m off the wagon like crazy. But, rather than saying I'll start over on Monday-I start over right then. It has to come from within, the desire to change your habits-nobody else can give it to you. Don't pay attention to what others are eating-they aren't you and everybody is different. Easier said than done I know!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    i used to do the start over monday mentality & i've also done the last meal mentality too (where the day before you start being good, you stuff your face) & i've found that because it is too easy to undo my hard work like that, i now start that same day. so if i have a really bad breakfast or lunch or didn't workout, i'll have a lighter & healthier next meal & not make excuses or get too down that the day is ruined & i also plan for my 'cheat' days. if i know i'm going to a bbq & it isn't a cheat day i'll eat before i go & bring my lower cal alcohol with me &/or add a workout before going. if i know i'll be going away for the weekend, then add a couple workouts during the week or make sure i have a great intake week, so the weekend isn't so bad as long as i don't eat like a pig & just like a 'normal' or non-dieting person. :o) find ways to make your healthier lifestyle fit into your life ♥
  • Nini_Soto_
    Nini_Soto_ Posts: 27
    I also struggle with the same thing. This week I joined a group that weighs in on Fridays. I am also on another challenge that weighs in on Mondays. I’m hoping this helps. The first login is on Friday, but at least I have something to keep me going towards the end of the week…The weekend is my downfall!! I really hope this works!!! Good luck =) I also hope to get ideas from your post so thanks for posting this thread!!
  • tssa
    tssa Posts: 93 Member
    I here ya, TinaBina. I used to be like that. It's not an easy road. I fell of the wagon for 2 WEEKS in May. I was dealing with some things and I was just like to hell with it. Then, I had an epiphany. I realized, "No I'm not happy with how I feel and look and that I'm the only person that can change that about me." So I'm back on my game.

What's worked for me is planning my meals & snacks for the week. I found a weekly food planner template online and usually can plan everything out at work when I have some free time. It also helps with keeping my grocery shopping on a budget. I post the planner on my fridge for the week and cook my meals on Sunday evening. This way, I can just grab and go.

Oh and I steer clear of the cafeteria at my job. If I do go in there, I already know what I'm getting and remind myself that, "yeah that danish may taste really good right now, but I now I'm gonna be kicking myself in the butt later for eating it. Is it really worth it?"
  • TinaBina313
    TinaBina313 Posts: 42 Member
    I also struggle with the same thing. This week I joined a group that weighs in on Fridays. I am also on another challenge that weighs in on Mondays. I’m hoping this helps. The first login is on Friday, but at least I have something to keep me going towards the end of the week…The weekend is my downfall!! I really hope this works!!! Good luck =) I also hope to get ideas from your post so thanks for posting this thread!!

Thanks NiNi
  • TinaBina313
    TinaBina313 Posts: 42 Member
    I here ya, TinaBina. I used to be like that. It's not an easy road. I fell of the wagon for 2 WEEKS in May. I was dealing with some things and I was just like to hell with it. Then, I had an epiphany. I realized, "No I'm not happy with how I feel and look and that I'm the only person that can change that about me." So I'm back on my game.

What's worked for me is planning my meals & snacks for the week. I found a weekly food planner template online and usually can plan everything out at work when I have some free time. It also helps with keeping my grocery shopping on a budget. I post the planner on my fridge for the week and cook my meals on Sunday evening. This way, I can just grab and go.

Oh and I steer clear of the cafeteria at my job. If I do go in there, I already know what I'm getting and remind myself that, "yeah that danish may taste really good right now, but I now I'm gonna be kicking myself in the butt later for eating it. Is it really worth it?"

Thanks honey!! Where did you find the template? I would love to use it
  • Nini_Soto_
    Nini_Soto_ Posts: 27
    @tssa-can you please post a link to that website?

You're welcome =) If you are interested in joining that Friday group, email/add me:smile: