Getting back to the gym

Options
coalz
coalz Posts: 308 Member
It's been so long since I last went to the gym. Do you remember what it was like your 1st day back? Or are you hesitant to go too? What was it that made you make that change for the better? I feel so anxious about it & I don't know why. It's like I'm almost embarrassed to go or something? I just don't understand this feeling & It kinda makes me want to cry. (How many calories does crying burn?hmmm) it's just bizarre because deep down, I really want to go yet, for some reason I don't. Wtf?!? Anyways would love some motivation/support getting through that front door of the gym. Thanks

Replies

• 75poundgoal
    75poundgoal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The first day back to the gym can be very hard but remember that it gets better every day. Don't push it to hard, don't expect miracles, just walk in the front door and do your workout. The next workout will be better and better and better, etc. You can do it!
  • CreationsMoody
    CreationsMoody Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had not not been in a true gym setting since high school. I knew it was time to start making changes, cause I could see and feel changes in myself. Unhealthy changes! My motivation however was pretty easy for me to get through the door, it was the 5 sets of blue and hazel eyes that I see everyday when I get home. You can do it, you just have to find that one thing yhat pushes you over the top to want to change. :-) Feel free to add me if you like.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    No one is going to be looking at you. Trust me. Everyone else is way too wrapped up in doing their own thing to notice you.

Go to the gym and do your thing. The anxiety is all in your head.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    It's been so long since I last went to the gym. Do you remember what it was like your 1st day back? Or are you hesitant to go too? What was it that made you make that change for the better? I feel so anxious about it & I don't know why. It's like I'm almost embarrassed to go or something? I just don't understand this feeling & It kinda makes me want to cry. (How many calories does crying burn?hmmm) it's just bizarre because deep down, I really want to go yet, for some reason I don't. Wtf?!? Anyways would love some motivation/support getting through that front door of the gym. Thanks

I know how you feel, I was ashamed to be seen in there, I was so depressed. I felt like I had to lose weight BEFORE I could "deserve" to go thru the door. I don't remember what it was that helped me change my mind, but I can tell you this: Nobody in the gym cares what you look like or what you are doing. They are no more repulsed by me than they are impressed with the @$$hole slamming the weights around like a hulk. Everyone in there has a goal, and we are all at a different place in our journey. That's all that matters, don't let someone else's opinion control how you live and change your life. When you go in there tomorrow, it will be so anti-climactic that you'll chuckle at how nervous you were, and then you'll press on with what you came there to do. "Get 'er Done!"
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I just got back in the gym after 6 months or so.

I was hesitant. Just like you, I wanted to go but I didn't. I just got dressed and went, don't overthink it.

I know it will take a couple of weeks before going to the gym will become routine for me like it used to be. I also know that I need to stop being frustrated over how weak I currently am, and focus on getting back where I was and better. I guess my advice is just stop thinking, get dressed and go. The anxiety will go away sooner than you think.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!! As a friend just told me, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Strange analogy, but hope you get the meaning behind it! Walk in that front door proudly and report back to us so we can celebrate w you!

Hugs and high fives!
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ok I think I am tapping into the real root of the cause & maybe I should create a new forum cause I'm going dark & deep but...,I think the big issues are that I moved back to my hometown 2 years ago after a failed marriage. Became comatose in depression, learned to eat my feelings, gained a *kitten* ton of weight, have been trapped in a dark state of mind ever since & now I'm trying to show up at this small town gym. Where I fear running into old classmates, friends of family, xlovers, etc!! (Uhhhh? can u see what town I'm from on this app?! Aahhh! I hate being on the grid but I love the anonymity to be open.). *kitten* man, wish I cared more about me than I do about the judgment of all these superfluous beings. But, it's a really small ducking town!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I can understand those worries. This may sound sappy, but concentrate on this: You're doing this for yourself, to lose that ***** ton, a day at a time, a pound at a time. But *you* are the person who counts. Some of those others will be judgemental; some will be understanding and supportive. Prove to yourself that you can do it, and show the judgemental that you can so do it. We're roorin' for ya, coalz.
  • lottiepen
    lottiepen Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I know how you feel, I was ashamed to be seen in there, I was so depressed. I felt like I had to lose weight BEFORE I could "deserve" to go thru the door. I don't remember what it was that helped me change my mind, but I can tell you this: Nobody in the gym cares what you look like or what you are doing. They are no more repulsed by me than they are impressed with the @$$hole slamming the weights around like a hulk. Everyone in there has a goal, and we are all at a different place in our journey. That's all that matters, don't let someone else's opinion control how you live and change your life. When you go in there tomorrow, it will be so anti-climactic that you'll chuckle at how nervous you were, and then you'll press on with what you came there to do. "Get 'er Done!"

• lottiepen
    lottiepen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Rick rhat's a great uplifting post - agree totally not to let your own thoughts of what people might be thinking affect your confidence - cos they're not - it's you not them!). Be proud and focus on getting a good workout and don't try to keep up with the @$$holes! (Every gym has one or two of them - but remember they're not looking at you either!) I returned to the gym after a loooong break and spent over an hour trying to find an outfit which didnt make me look awful - I almost didnt go and was close to tears - but I just told myself to go 'just for half an hour'. i did and I'm now back 3 times a week and loving it. Good luck!
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I just signed up again today too, after quitting for a few months. It started with back and leg problems, then just became laziness. And it's embarrassing because I've gained some weight back. I felt like I should lose the weight again first before going back, but forget that, because going back will help me lose it, and I miss my yoga. And they're not there to judge. You have to just pick yourself up and get back on the horse. Nobody is thinking as badly about you as you are about yourself. If anything, they see it as a good thing that you're there. I cried the tears already, so I know how that goes.
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just started back a few weeks ago. Almost had a meltdown in the locker room after a failed Zumba attempt. There were a few tears. Not quitting made me stronger. I talked about it, laughed about it, and turned it into a a story instead of internalizing all that fear and embarrassment.

My gym (YMCA) offered two free trainer sessions with membership and that helped a lot. Finding things I like is helping. (Not so much a group person, more of a walker/runner, swimmer, weight-lifting kind of person.)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Ok I think I am tapping into the real root of the cause & maybe I should create a new forum cause I'm going dark & deep but...,I think the big issues are that I moved back to my hometown 2 years ago after a failed marriage. Became comatose in depression, learned to eat my feelings, gained a *kitten* ton of weight, have been trapped in a dark state of mind ever since & now I'm trying to show up at this small town gym. Where I fear running into old classmates, friends of family, xlovers, etc!! (Uhhhh? can u see what town I'm from on this app?! Aahhh! I hate being on the grid but I love the anonymity to be open.). *kitten* man, wish I cared more about me than I do about the judgment of all these superfluous beings. But, it's a really small ducking town!

Okay but... who cares what they think?

Seriously, you can't live your life worrying about what everyone else thinks of you.

Really I got nothing else, you have to stop placing so much emphasis on the opinions of others, especially when you're trying to better yourself.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just go to the gym, put your headphones on and kill your workout! When I moved last fall, I had some "new gym anxiety". Then I hurt myself - repeatedly (bruised shin bone, broke my hand, broke my tailbone and my old knee injuries came back). I was out for several months and nervous about being able to even complete a decent workout. I've recently returned and it's been fine. Nobody is looking at me. I'm almost back to my old workouts and the only people I recognize are my physical therapists. And really, I'm kinda glad they see me there.
    If your gym has free personal trainer sessions that can show you around and how to use the machines, then utilize those sessions. You'll have a bit more confidence knowing what you're doing.
    Oh and the ONLY time I ever think anything negative about people in the gym is when they wear cologne or perfume, becuase it's like an assault on my senses and I'm pissed becuase I have to stop my workout and switch machines to get away from the stench.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Gathering up the courage to go to the gym might help you get out of the house in general and take your life back. If your town is really that toxic to your well-being, you can always move, if that's what it takes. I hated living in a small town (Abilene, TX has a pop of around 100K, and that is small for me, yours might be smaller, I don't know). The point is, there's another town just down the road, and a few more after that, like 1,000,000,00! :)