Counting calories? Good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Original post : Counting calories is a fun part of the day for me. I used to see it as an annoying and time consuming chore. But once I changed my mindset towards counting calories my body changed and reaped the benefits!! I really enjoy the process of counting calories now. The fact fact I know I'm in a calorie deficit but still eat plenty of good filling food! What's your experience of counting calories?

I depend mainly on CICO and use the bathroom scales to do the net results counting for me and adjust from that point.

Of course I had to count for the first few times but now unless someone asks I do not daily count.
  • mssam66
    mssam66 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting lets me stay in a calorie deficit and still enjoy social meals (big social meals

IF sounds very interesting to me, I would love to try it out. Can you tell me how long of an eating window would be good for beginners?

• tej220
    tej220 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Original post : Counting calories is a fun part of the day for me. I used to see it as an annoying and time consuming chore. But once I changed my mindset towards counting calories my body changed and reaped the benefits!! I really enjoy the process of counting calories now. The fact fact I know I'm in a calorie deficit but still eat plenty of good filling food! What's your experience of counting calories?
    This is verbatim what you currently have in the first post of this thread, but you said you changed it entirely and before it was you offering help to others - what was your ORIGINAL post?

• Lowerklass1
    Lowerklass1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ahrite, I just wrote - anyone want any advice on how to lose fat and build lean muscle. I was wanting to share what's helped me to lose weight and maintain lean muscle. I've still got a way to go but I just wanted to help others who are struggling to shift fat and want to build lean muscle. But I changed the format of the discussion to what do you like about calorie counting; to make it abit more inclusive
  • Lowerklass1
    Lowerklass1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I Don't think of 'eating windows'. I would just recommend pushing your first meal around 5-8 hours into the day. You have to find your sweet spot. Mines 6 hours, I may have an apple 5 hours into it, lightly breaking it but still feel like fasting. Then I eat a light meal, (6-8 egg whites, plantain, hot sauce....my ideal lunch). Then for dinner ill have another protein packed meal, lean chicken breast or turkey breast). And then I'll eat a big bowl of potato wedges, (500g potato, plenty!). I even eat abit of chocolate, maybe ice cream, or chocolate protein yoghurt, or pancakes late at night. I'll still be in 400 calorie deficit. After about 6 days of IF it becomes normal, you get about 5-10min hunger pang in the morning every now and then. That's it, sometimes I've got to remind myself to eat ! That's unusual for me lol