Confused-daily caloric intake?

Options
Hi there, I am a sleep deprived new mum and can't for the life of me sift through the articles to help me determine how many calories a day I need.
I am 5'6", 183lbs
I walk 6 km a day, at 10-13 min per km
I breastfeed apprx an hour total a day
Please help!!!
Desired weight 150

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Enter your stats and goals into MFP and it will generate a calorie goal for you.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    All you do is add you height and weight MyFitnessPal will determine you calorie needs for each day depending on you nutritional intake ( how much fat,protien & carb ) you desire. Also try to reduce stress, sleep is very important in shedding weight. You burn more calories sleeping then doing anything.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Put your details into the MFP set up page, it will tell you what you need daily based on what you tell it you want to lose. For example - I am 5ft, need to lose another 20lbs and have set it to lose 0.5lb per week and lightly active - it gives me 1500 calories a day plus any additional exercise calories I earn (but I don't tend to eat them) How many times a day are you feeding? There is in the food category a bf amount which adds 500 cals to your daily calories based on full bf. x
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @Jacob1020 aren't you cute! She is a new mum, even reducing stress she is still gonna be sleep deprived.

@JenniferMuriel...congrats on being a new mum!!! Do as everyone suggested just put your stats in MFP, it will tell you how many calories to eat. You can adjust as needed. The most important thing for you right now is making good choices of what to eat.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Jacob1020 aren't you cute! She is a new mum, even reducing stress she is still gonna be sleep deprived.

@JenniferMuriel...congrats on being a new mum!!! Do as everyone suggested just put your stats in MFP, it will tell you how many calories to eat. You can adjust as needed. The most important thing for you right now is making good choices of what to eat.

Yea I would rather say then get Power Naps when you can throughout the day if you have someone else who can look after your newborn for a short while so you can get a sufficient amount of rest and hopefully as time goes on it will eventfully normalize and even out you sleeping patterns at night so you are not overly sleep deprived. Cheers
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    <3:D thanks everyone...
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a conversation with a Dr. Before trying to run much of a deficit while breastfeeding. MFP can't account for that in the goals. Your calorie output is way higher than normal while nursing. If you're already tired, too much of a deficit will compound that. Proceed cautiously.