Flaxseed???

Options
westbrja
westbrja Posts: 111 Member
Can anyone tell me what flaxseed is and where I can find it in the grocery store? What do you use it in and what's the health benefits? Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can get flaxseed oil in the health food section at walmart.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You generally want to get the meal, as you get the nutrients better. The whole seeds aren't absorbed well... You can put them in pretty much anything. They can tend to add a nutty flavor.. but I don't usually taste it. Oatmeal, baked goods, shakes, on top of yogurt, the list goes on. You can use the oil too..
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Here is an article you can read all about flax seed: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Oh my - a quick google search will tell you some health benefits - mostly a great way to get your Omega 3's (healthy fats). I used to use it alot - a table spoon in my scrambled eggs or omelet (gives it a nice nutty flavor), sometimes I'd put it in my protein shakes.

However, if you take too much, it can mess with your estrogen (though most people won't consume enough for this to happen), so I've backed off as I want to get pregnant soon.

It comes in a box or a bag in the baking aisle near the pancake mixes, oat bran, etc... or sometimes on the health food aisle. Sometimes it comes in a bag (bob's red mill or something) or a box (Hodgson Mill or something)

Enjoy!
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    It actually helps with heart heatlh and lowers cholesterol levels and things like that and you can find it in the vitamin aisle or sometimes you can even find it in the spice aisle of your grocery stores....depends on what type or form you want to get it in....you can get it in pill form or oil or you can even get it in a crumble type form to add to like cereals, etc.

Here is a helpful website that has infomation for you:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It can usually be found in the produce isle along with other bulk grains, nuts, etc.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed is just that...a seed. You can find it in the organic/health food-type section with the oats and quinoa and specialty flours. You can get flax seeds or milled flaxseed (more like a flour-type consistency). Flaxseed is high in fiber and omega 3.

I toss it in granola, mix it in with peanut butter, uhhh, you can substitute or add it to baking recipes where it calls for flour (check though, because you can't do a 1-for-1 substitution)
  • woodardbj
    woodardbj Posts: 6
    Options
    U can get flaxseed at any health store or grocery store. It has plenty of dietary fiber and is rich in omega 3's, good for the heart.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Chock full of Omega-3's, I love a tablespoon of it on yogurt with fruit and a few walnut halves.. I like the whole flaxseed, some people don't because it gets stuck between your teeth, so they buy it ground. I have a wonderful flosser. :laugh:
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Generally, you'd want ground flaxseed, and it can usually be found in the baking section. It comes in a bag like flour or sugar. Flaxseed is very high in Omega-3 (the good fat), fiber, and lignan (an antioxidant). I take a serving daily, usually blended in a shake. The texture is a little different, but the benefits are great!
  • JaimeLas
    JaimeLas Posts: 4
    Options
    Flaxseed is great! It will make your hair shiny and your nails stronger. I have been taking flaxseed for a while and I feel the difference when I don't take it. I buy the liquid flaxseed in the health food section of stores. It tastes terrible by itself - kinda like straight canola oil (yuck!). I suggest putting it in yogurt or oatmeal.
  • westbrja
    Options
    Oh my - a quick google search will tell you some health benefits - mostly a great way to get your Omega 3's (healthy fats). I used to use it alot - a table spoon in my scrambled eggs or omelet (gives it a nice nutty flavor), sometimes I'd put it in my protein shakes.

However, if you take too much, it can mess with your estrogen (though most people won't consume enough for this to happen), so I've backed off as I want to get pregnant soon.

It comes in a box or a bag in the baking aisle near the pancake mixes, oat bran, etc... or sometimes on the health food aisle. Sometimes it comes in a bag (bob's red mill or something) or a box (Hodgson Mill or something)

Enjoy!

Thanks and best of luck on you getting pregnant. You have my prayers!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I bought a nice big bag of cold milled flax meal at Costco. Trader Joe's also sells it. My mom puts hers into her yogurt every morning. I have added it to oatmeal, the breading I use for chicken, sprinkled it on salads. Just about anywhere you'd use flour you can add some of it in. Two tablespoons of flax meal has more Omega-3s than the fish oil pills my husband's doctor recommended to help raise his good cholesterol.

Go slowly when adding it to your diet, a tablespoon or so to start then work your way up to your desired daily intake. It has a lot of fiber and if you aren't used to it, you'll find yourself running to the bathroom. :)
  • westbrja
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone. Guess I'll be adding it to my grocery list for next shopping trip.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Other posters have already answered the health benefit question. You can buy it at most grocery stores in the bulk section. Much cheaper to buy it that way. I buy the whole seeds and then grind it in the blender (I don't have a coffee grinder). After it's ground, be sure to store it in the freezer in a sealed container.
  • westbrja
    Options
    Other posters have already answered the health benefit question. You can buy it at most grocery stores in the bulk section. Much cheaper to buy it that way. I buy the whole seeds and then grind it in the blender (I don't have a coffee grinder). After it's ground, be sure to store it in the freezer in a sealed container.

Thanks for the tip! Always looking for more ways to save moolah :laugh: