Can't decide between Planet Fitness and Gold's Gym, Glen Burnie, MD

Options
2»

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't understand why you can't use the free weights, they go from 5-100lbs. If you have to DB press 5lbs then so be it. You would be surprised how much progress you can make in 1-2 months with a consistent regimen. Gold's has the same nautilus machines as PF and possibly more.

PF is a good place for beginners at the $10 price point but you mentioned a yearly commitment at $20/mo. I'd just hate to see you have a change of heart after actualizing your potential only to be stuck in their contract and yearning for more options that Gold's could've provided. More is better. Even if you don't plan on using that stuff for the time being, it will always be there.

Anywho, you'll be better off wherever you feel most comfortable to get the work done. I just thought value-wise Gold's sounded better and a lot of us have felt that lack of self-confidence, but it can change quick. :smile:
  • pwgphoto
    pwgphoto Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ClubSilencio it's not that I can't use free weights. I like free weights. I am just working out alone, so some things like benching would be difficult for me without a spotter. It's doable, but at my age, not that I am old, just out of shape, I want to use more machine based equipment, as I get back into it. This is maybe a two or three times a week thing, if I can go that much. I feel a machine based workout, with the addition of dumb bells and what ever free weights PF has to offer will be good for me, for now. In my town, the PF seems to have more machines than Gold's and I also think it will be less crowded.

The $20 monthly fee, even at PF seems fair enough to me. Away from the workout side, I like the things like massage chairs and hydro massage beds PF has to offer. The Gold's only had two massage chairs and no hydro system. My job requires me to carry heavy gear and my back/neck hurts often.

A year is not that long and if going to PF gets me back into wanting to go to the gym all the better. I can always get out of a PF commitment for a nominal fee and go back to Gold's if my needs change. Heck Gold's might not even cancel my contract, even though it was only about an hour and a half from the time I signed it to asking to cancel it. If they don't then I will go to Gold's. Either way I will be working out and that is a good thing.
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I live in the same area. Look into World Gym Glen Burnie..$10/month and has pretty much everything