Living with celiacs disease

Options
I'm a newbie and would love some advice, suggestions, ideas, recipes, where to eat out...
Thanks!

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Dining out can be a mine field , most of the time for me it is steak and undressed salad,
    Watch all food labels , much better now than it used to be , there are lots of products available now that didn't exist before . A lot of paleo recipes work quite well as the whole idea is to avoid all grains.
    I now eat out rarely , and still occasionally get surprised by a product changing their formulation so periodically re check anything that is processed and not specifically labeled as gluten free.
    The up side I suppose is a general improvement in my overall diet as so many gluten free copies are a sad thing , or just totally unplatable I now no longer bother with the high calorie treats and take outs I used to like ... Now the less processed and pre cooked the less likely I am going to spend a few weeks feeling like crap and attached to a bathroom
  • MBentley79
    MBentley79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I did great for 3 days then made chili with what j thought was all gluten free. I must've had a spice that wasn't GF because I spent time in the bathroom, was so bloated I was gonna pop, and heartburn. Never again. I can't believe I used to live like that every day! Wow! I can see a difference now.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I'm Gluten Sensitive so I basically follow a Paleo Diet, but I do dairy and rice/potatoes.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I also have celiac.
  • MBentley79
    MBentley79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have never looked into a paleo diet. I will now. Thanks.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My son and I both have celiac disease. My son was diagnosed at 6 years old. It gets easier! We very rarely eat out because the pain of being glutened just isn't worth it :( We also basically eat paleo but with white potatoes. We don't do much dairy because neither of us can handle it.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i have celiacs cousin crohns disease, as far as eating out when i was following GF (because my gastro told me too) i pretty much ate at pf changs all the time. They have an entirely seperate kitchen for the GF menu. I remember the first time i went there and told them i was GF it was amazing. the manager came out, brought out all the GF sauces, the gf menu is big and delicious!