Over 100 down and it's still a struggle every day (very long)

Options
NikiChicken
NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
Despite the title of my post, I am not looking for help or advise, nor am I complaining. I wanted to post this for anyone who is also struggling and needs some words of encouragement.

My story: One day about 4 years ago, I woke up and decided I was tired of being fat. I didn't have an epiphany. There were no earth-shattering events. I didn't decide to turn my life on its ear and change everything, I just decided I was done living my life the way I was and I needed to change something. I decided to start walking every day because I couldn't walk a block without having pain and gasping for air. I wasn't relishing the idea of an upcoming vacation that was going to require a lot of walking, so I decided to start walking on my lunch hours to hopefully feel a little better on my vacation. Well, after about a week of walking, I decided to track my food consumption and joined MFP. I started tracking, but not with any intention of cutting calories. However, it was easier than I thought to track, so I decided to see what kind of calories MFP would give me if I told it I wanted to lose a half pound a week. The number of calories didn't scare me, so I set my goals and tried that for a while, even upping my goal to 1 pound/week after about 2 weeks... Fast forward to my vacation 4 months later and I was down 25 pounds and could comfortably walk a mile to a mile and a half! While on my vacation, I continued to keep track of my food intake, even though I wasn't trying to limit calories, and I walked a lot and I came back having lost another 2 pounds. So after vacation, I decided that it wasn't so hard and I was curious how far I could get so I just kept right on trucking. The rest, so to speak, is history.

Now, here I am four years later and over 100 pounds down. I just received the results from my work metabolic screening and, for the first time in my life, I hit every positive health marker! I am still 20 pounds from goal and was going to wait until I hit goal to write this post, but decided I needed to do this now, because I need to hear these words as much as anyone.

I have learned that weight loss is both easier and harder than I ever imagined. It's easy to lose weight. It's hard to keep it up day after day, year after year. The formula is simple. Eat less and move more. You don't need a special diet; you don't need magic pills; you don't have to spend 3 hours killing yourself in the gym every day; you don't have to give up any of your favorite foods; and most of all you don't have to be miserable. However, in practicality, it's not quite that simple! It is as much a mind game as anything and It is a struggle every. single. day. Some days are harder than others, but every day is a fight.

While I haven't given up any of my favorite foods, I still have to make choices daily. If I want ice cream for dinner, I can't have cake for lunch. If I want pizza for lunch, I can't have hamburgers and fries for dinner. It's all a balancing act and walking by the cookies in the break room or passing up the chocolate being offered from a co-worker never gets any easier and some days I fail. I just fail on far fewer days than I succeed, which is all you need to do to be successful over all.

I weigh every day because it's useful information to me. I know my cycles and how different foods and exercises affect me and I can predict when I will be up and when I will be down and by how much, but I still cringe and feel disappointment when I see the scale go up.

I get tired of always eating at a deficit. Healthy, sustainable weight loss is slow and it seems to be even slower than the average bear for me. This has taken me a LONG time - much longer than I ever imagined! If you had told me 4 years ago that I would still be 20 pounds from my goal weight at this point in time, I am not sure how I would have responded. Would I still have kept going? Maybe so since I never started with the intention of losing everything anyway and I hope I would have, but I was a much different person back then so I don't really know.

I get bored with the gym. I get bored walking the same trails. Some days I just want to sit at home in front of the TV and do nothing! I exercise in cycles. Some times I'm great at it and other times I'm not and that's OK. It took me a while, but I learned that exercise and weight loss are not conjoined. I now exercise for fitness and eat for weight loss. I do feel better - healthier, happier and more motivated - when I exercise, so I do try to exercise more often than I don't.

Plateaus are hard and frustrating and I hit them often. I'm in one now! I can go MONTHS at the same weight and I want to scream at the scale and throw it across the room every morning it doesn't move but giving up and going back to my old habits would not solve a thing so I suck it up and keep plugging on.

More than the weight loss, I have learned so much about myself. I am determined and I am strong. Even when things are difficult, I can still overcome them. A bad day is just that - a bad DAY - and everyone has them once in a while. It makes much more sense just to pick myself up and dust myself off and just keep moving. I am truly not the same person I was 4 years ago and I don't really even recognize that person in the old pictures any more.

I don't know how to post pictures here, but if anyone is interested, my profile pic is a before and after of me.

The moral of this post: Everyone struggles every day. No matter how successful you are, or how successful you think someone else is, there will still be difficulty and that's normal. Just never ever ever give up! Learn from your challenges and move forward. Like Dorie the fish says: "Just keep swimming..."

Replies

• jecampbe72
    jecampbe72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You look great! Keep up the good work! So amazing!
  • cardozm
    cardozm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    wow amazing
  • Rainbows
    Rainbows Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, this is what I need to hear today. I could have searched all day and never found a more perfect message for me to read for what I needed so much to hear today.
    Thank you,
    Rainbow
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write this and share your thoughts. You're right, it's easy, and it's hard. Today it's hard, yesterday was hard, the day before was easy . . . and on and on it goes when you have a great deal of weight to lose. You have accomplished a lot and you have improved your health - be proud, and you will get that last 20 off someday, no worries. Congrats and thanks for a truthful, motivational post.
  • mrsjaimez
    mrsjaimez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This brought me to tears your words are encouraging, thank you!
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    This was good for me to read. I'm in the healthy weight range but have to work daily to make choices that will help me not gain. Thanks for posting.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Aww, thanks for the kind workds everyone. I really posted this so I could say these things to myself in a public forum and I thought if I needed to hear them, there are probably others who needed to hear them as well!
  • Imomw2016
    Imomw2016 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What a perfectly worded, eloquent, practical yet motivating post. I will be letting my MFP pals who are struggling know about your words of wisdom.

This is exactly the kind of post that everyone should read and more importantly, remember!

You look wonderful and healthy! Wishing you continued success!
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This post is amazing and should be given to everyone who wants to give up!

You are real. Honest. Genuine.

You have taken accountability and you kicked serious butt!!!!

Congrats on your journey!!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    With an outlook like this, I know you'll reach your final goal soon! Ive lost 135 with 15 left.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow you look incredible! Thank you so much for the motivating post! Keep up the great work!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Wow, so great to hear someone just like me. First, congrats on your loss and persistence. You look great.

I'm on day 1179 (3 years, 3ish months) of doing this, my highest weight loss is 111.8 lbs (although up 2-3 at the moment). My goal is 12.2 more from that lowest, which would give me a 50% loss. Everything you said is true, it's long, it's frustrating and if you told me I'd still be at it, at this point in time, I'd have laughed. But - it's so worth it. The physical changes - 3X to S (and even XS scrubs). I recently bought a pair of size 4 jeans. I was 22/24 when I started. I can't stop rubbing the bony parts I suddenly have, collarbones, shoulders, hips, it's weird and good at the same time. My posture has improved, I'm not hunching over with all that fat on my belly. And more importantly, the inner changes, more self-confidence and for probably the first time in my life, I like myself. I can look in the mirror without flinching, I watch myself in gym classes (and get mildly annoyed when the instructor walks by and blocks it). I'm more physical than I ever was in my adult life.

Great post, you said it all - it's a little scary that you're in my head :wink: :smiley:
  • mskimmy23
    mskimmy23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is a GREAT post! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on all your success!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I often skip over long posts but I read every word of this as it resonated with me and it is just so sensible and true. You hit each nail directly on the head and then some. Thank you for posting it is because of people like you that so many others reach their goals. <3
  • NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post! Congratulations!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Thank you. A great reminder that none of us are alone on the road to health.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    your post is extremely inspirational, we are all looking for the quick fix and easy does it method.. you set it out for us to read in an honest and profound way... thank you .. and you must be so proud of yourself for sticking to it and giving yourself the best present ever, the gift of better health.. thank you
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wonderful and encouraging post. Thank you for sharing :smile:
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. It is exactly what I needed to hear!
  • igotmywish1508
    igotmywish1508 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    <3<3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!