How many calories for mom's breastfeeding

Options
I am confused. Currently I am allotted 1300 calories a day, however, I exclusively breastfeed my 4 month old baby. How many extra calories should that give me? I don't want to lose the weight too quickly and lose my milk supply either. HELP!

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    it is usually 500 extra calories!

You can also add breastfeeding into your food diary.

Start by adding 500 calories, and see how that feels!
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    I think the general rule of thumb is 500 calories EXTRA for breastfeeding so 1800. And make sure you're drinking lots and lots of water!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i'm a nurse & you burn about 500 calories a day producing the milk. you can add it to your cardio, i hear it is on here (i haven't looked though) so it'll add it to your calorie goals & you'll have 1800 a day :o) & congrats on the new baby!
  • bridgetzc
    bridgetzc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have read that you need to stay within 1500-1800 calories per day in order to maintain your milk supply (this is according to Kellymom). Breast feeding can burn 200-500 calories per day. Breast feeding women can safely lose one pound a week without jeopardizing milk supply. I add 300 calories per day for breast feeding and I have been losing weight with no negative effects on my milk supply. As long as you monitor your milk supply and eat enough calories you should not have any issues.