Post-Workout Meal/Snack

Options
westbrja
westbrja Posts: 111 Member
With having 3 young kids, I will often go to the gym in the evening after dinner or just before their bedtime. Problem being is that I'm often hungry afterwards. We've always eaten dinner before I go so I don't want a huge meal, but I come home looking through the fridge. Or sometimes I will go in the middle of the day before eating lunch (basically I go when I can fit it in).
Is there any meal/snack that's better to eat after a workout? I hate feeling like I'm undoing all the work I have just done at the gym. Thanks!

Replies

• aubreywygralak
    Options
    I usually eat oatmeal or have a protein shake after I'm done working out- but it just depends. Some times I'm just not hungry or the opposite and I'm starving after a workout. My trainer says to have some sort of protein within a half hour to an hour after my workout. So that's what I try to aim at..protein intake.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake or a protein bar after working out. I also have plenty of water afterwards.
  • samSP4
    samSP4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I take a Body Fortress Protein Shot,
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    apple/peanut butter, protein shake, nuts/cheese
  • keschuh79
    keschuh79 Posts: 29
    Options
    I agree. Protein is the way to go. Especially after an evening workout post-dinner. I usually do a small protein shake within 15-30 minutes after and it fills me right up. And as a bonus it's good for building endurance and healing those muscles after an especially hearty workout.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Another vote for protein shake or protein bar :)
  • robi1040
    robi1040 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein shake, banana (potassium), yogurt! or tuna sandwich are my post-workout staples. A lot of people like coconut water which is perfectly electrolyte balanced to rehydrate.
    You basically want some protein in the food to help build the muscles you just worked.
    :)
    to make it more of a dessert food after dinner I make a protein powder milkshake with milk, banana, protein powder and ice
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sounds like protein it is! Thanks all, keep the replies coming.