Ladies who lift! Macro help!

Options
Hey Ladies!

I'm 5'4, 132lbs. Currently lifting 3 days a week and doing HIIT 3-4 days a week.
My macros are currently set at:
160g carbs
106g protein
53g fat
Approx 1550 calories

Will this ratio help my reach my fat loss/tone up goals? I've been at this for a few weeks and haven't really noticed much difference. Not looking for a ripped 6 pack but would like to lean out.

Thanks!

Replies

• ChloeShutts91
    ChloeShutts91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BTW - I'm pretty new to this so I'm just going off what I've been seeing
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    you should lose weight with that calorie consumption and energy expenditure
  • vanessamcinnis
    vanessamcinnis Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Okay so this was the website I used to calculate if I did it correctly or boy I hope this doesn’t confuse you haha. http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-to-calculate-macros-for-cutting/ ***I weight 143

Calories needed = (143×13) = 1,859

Protein = 143 x 1 = 143g

Fat = 143 x 0.5 = 71.5g

Protein and fat calories = (143 x 4) + (71.5 x 9) = 1215.5

Carbs = (1,859 – 1,215.5) ÷ 4 = 160g

Daily Macros = 140g protein, 71.5g fat, 160g carbs

Below is how I figured it out

Step 1: Determining Calories: Take your bodyweight in pounds and multiply it by 11 to 14. Multiply by 13 if you have an active job and train 2 to 3 times per week, or have a sedentary job and train at an intense level (ie. weight training, or high level aerobics) 4 to 6 times per week....So I weigh 143x13=1859.

Step 2: Working Out Protein: This one is easy 143 per day.

Step 3: Working Out Fat: You need between 0.3 and 0.6 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight So 143x .5= 71.5.

Step 4: Working Out Carbs: First up, take your daily protein intake and multiply it by 4: 143x4= 572. There are 4 calories in a gram of protein, so this will give you how many calories you’re consuming from protein each day.

Then multiply your fat intake in grams by 9 to give your fat calories. 71.5x9=643.5

Add these two numbers together, and subtract the result from the total number of calories you’re aiming for each day. 572+643.5=1215.5

This will give you how many calories you need from carbs each day. Divide this by 4 (remember – carbs have 4 calories per gram) and that’s how many carbs you need each day.

Not sure if this helps, I am also new to going by macros been doing it now for about two weeks so I can really give you any feedback on it. Feel free to add me if you like
  • orsolya_kiss
    orsolya_kiss Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    You can calculate your macros accurately here :)
    Also, it doesn't work the same for everyone, so just experiment with it :)
  • bebeshki
    bebeshki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Chloe

:) From what I have read on IIFYM so far I would say- up your protein intake a bit. Here is one calculator which I believe is good http://jenheward.com/macro-calculator/

And also I found out this article to be quite useful http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-to-calculate-macros-for-cutting/ (you can also check the comments section below)

I'm 5'10, 158lbs
    Currently working with 115c/50f/150p (~1500kcal ). I have lowered my calories pretty much but am kind of in a rush :) Otherwise from what I've read the suggested increase after cutting is with about 10-15g carbs per week. Don't remember the fat grams.. But will recheck it once I reach my goals

+High protein makes me feel way fuller, so I hardly ever have any cravings that I cannot fit in my macros

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm not a lady, but I wanted to comment anyway.

At your stats 1550 calories is quite an aggressive rate of loss: You're in the middle of the normal BMI range - I know BMI is not the best measure in the world but it does tell us that you're not obese. At your stats I'd say that you would have the best results by going for a maintenance or small surplus* and therefore giving yourself the maximal fuel for your work outs. This may seem counter intuitive since you want to get rid of some fat but in the long term, building muscle will improve your health and physical appearance** and trust me, if the surplus is small you will gain very little fat*** and look leaner.

* based on your stats and working out 6 times a week this would probably be somewhere around 2300 cals a day. But, if you choose to go down this route I would strongly advise that you add those calories in gradually over a period of a couple of weeks with continual monitoring (maybe even daily but taking a 5 day average) of weight and measurements.

** beauty is in the eye of the beholder e.t.c.

*** With increased muscle losing fat is MUCH easier.

P/C/F ratios.
    • Conservative protein estimates for those training hard are around 1g per lb BW so that would mean 130g protein (more isn't going to be harmful, a bit less isn't going to cause the earth to spin off into space).
    • Fat 0.6g per lb BW so you'd be at about 80g.
    • These values should hold good regardless of your calories.

Also, whilst I don't subscribe to the "clean eating 100% of the time or you will die" mantra, it's sensible to make the core of your diet single ingredient, quality proteins, "good" fats, and lots, and lots of veggies and top off with some "treat" foods.

OK - longer post than I intended, sorry about that! Best wishes.
  • ChloeShutts91
    Options
    Okay so this was the website I used to calculate if I did it correctly or boy I hope this doesn’t confuse you haha. http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-to-calculate-macros-for-cutting/ ***I weight 143

Calories needed = (143×13) = 1,859

Protein = 143 x 1 = 143g

Fat = 143 x 0.5 = 71.5g

Protein and fat calories = (143 x 4) + (71.5 x 9) = 1215.5

Carbs = (1,859 – 1,215.5) ÷ 4 = 160g

Daily Macros = 140g protein, 71.5g fat, 160g carbs

Below is how I figured it out

Step 1: Determining Calories: Take your bodyweight in pounds and multiply it by 11 to 14. Multiply by 13 if you have an active job and train 2 to 3 times per week, or have a sedentary job and train at an intense level (ie. weight training, or high level aerobics) 4 to 6 times per week....So I weigh 143x13=1859.

Step 2: Working Out Protein: This one is easy 143 per day.

Step 3: Working Out Fat: You need between 0.3 and 0.6 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight So 143x .5= 71.5.

Step 4: Working Out Carbs: First up, take your daily protein intake and multiply it by 4: 143x4= 572. There are 4 calories in a gram of protein, so this will give you how many calories you’re consuming from protein each day.

Then multiply your fat intake in grams by 9 to give your fat calories. 71.5x9=643.5

Add these two numbers together, and subtract the result from the total number of calories you’re aiming for each day. 572+643.5=1215.5

This will give you how many calories you need from carbs each day. Divide this by 4 (remember – carbs have 4 calories per gram) and that’s how many carbs you need each day.

Not sure if this helps, I am also new to going by macros been doing it now for about two weeks so I can really give you any feedback on it. Feel free to add me if you like

Thank you so much for all this info! It's exactly what I was after. Now to go back to high school and do some math
  • ChloeShutts91
    Options
    OK, I'm not a lady, but I wanted to comment anyway.

At your stats 1550 calories is quite an aggressive rate of loss: You're in the middle of the normal BMI range - I know BMI is not the best measure in the world but it does tell us that you're not obese. At your stats I'd say that you would have the best results by going for a maintenance or small surplus* and therefore giving yourself the maximal fuel for your work outs. This may seem counter intuitive since you want to get rid of some fat but in the long term, building muscle will improve your health and physical appearance** and trust me, if the surplus is small you will gain very little fat*** and look leaner.

* based on your stats and working out 6 times a week this would probably be somewhere around 2300 cals a day. But, if you choose to go down this route I would strongly advise that you add those calories in gradually over a period of a couple of weeks with continual monitoring (maybe even daily but taking a 5 day average) of weight and measurements.

** beauty is in the eye of the beholder e.t.c.

*** With increased muscle losing fat is MUCH easier.

P/C/F ratios.
    • Conservative protein estimates for those training hard are around 1g per lb BW so that would mean 130g protein (more isn't going to be harmful, a bit less isn't going to cause the earth to spin off into space).
    • Fat 0.6g per lb BW so you'd be at about 80g.
    • These values should hold good regardless of your calories.

Also, whilst I don't subscribe to the "clean eating 100% of the time or you will die" mantra, it's sensible to make the core of your diet single ingredient, quality proteins, "good" fats, and lots, and lots of veggies and top off with some "treat" foods.

OK - longer post than I intended, sorry about that! Best wishes.

Thank you for commenting (probably shouldn't have shouted out to just ladies) these replies were exactly what I was after. Thanks so much for the info! I had a feeling I needed to increase the protein and have been struggling to stick with the calorie range. I'll take your advice on the surplus, it makes sense! (I'm in no rush for the fat loss, would just like it to happen)
    Thank again !
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and don't think 1550 is aggressive. When I weigh anywhere in the 130's that is what I need to eat to lose .5lbs per week.

I can tell you this. When I tried to get from 132 to the 120's while lifting heavy-the scale just did not want to move. When I look back at the pictures the difference between 128 and 132 is actually extreme, though it felt like it took forever and at the time I didn't notice much difference.

I think your macros look good. That's about where I would set mine though I tend to just shoot for 1g of protein per pound of body weight because I like to eat protein.