cutting calories/working out lots! - feeling very dizzy?

Options
hi, since January I changed my calorie intake quite dramatically (2000cals down to 1200), started working out 5/6 days a week and still doing my active job (painter and decorator).

this past weekend I did an additional 26 hours as I decorated for a friend. I skipped lunch both days (unintentionally) and didn't get in to eat a small dinner until 9pm.

today on my day off, I had a coffee and cereal then was playing with my baby daughter when all of a sudden the room span, I felt really drunk, couldn't stand, went pale, crawled to the bathroom and thought I was going to be sick and pass out! I then spent the next 2 hours laying down being too scared to stand in case I fell over.

I feel a bit better now after tea and some biscuits but just wondering if these could be symptoms of too much work/exercise and not enough fuel. I've never felt so dizzy in my whole life (even when drunk!) I felt like I had no control over my body whatsoever.

thanks for reading my ramble...

Replies

• Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think you already know the answer to your question. You've not got enough in your tank for the level of activity. You do not need to make yourself feel ill to lose weight, it's not healthy. If I don't eat enough (as in, enough for my needs) I feel sick/faint, in the way you described. Even if I don't feel particularly hungry, per se, I will feel ill if I haven't had enough. Definitely increase your calories, if only by a couple of 100. Do you eat back at least some of what you burn from exercise? You should.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why are you on 1200 calories? Are you eating back your extra activity? Sounds like you're dramatically undereating and skipping meals is leaving you weak.
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thank you!

yes I usually eat over my allocated calories by a few hundred so that when I've worked out I'm at 1200 ish. I only dropped to 1200 as MMF gave me that as a recommended amount to lose 1-2lbs a week.

I don't usually skip meals but due to hammering the work and not stopping all weekend, my calorie intake was significantly lower. this feeling this morning was hideous! took two hours to feel not drunk!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It could also be low ferritin levels (iron) or plain old exhaustion!
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It is also possible you could be coming down with something. Last time I had a cold I had a fainting spell, completely out of the blue. The next day I started with usual coughing/sneezing symptoms.

Either way, for your level of everyday activity (even excluding exercise), 1200 is really very low, unless you have *loads* to lose (your profile picture certainly doesn't indicate that you do), you should be aiming for a slower loss. Losing 10lbs in 4 weeks (or whatever) might sound like a nice quick way to drop a dress size but, realistically, a slower loss is often the best (as in sustainable, healthy and bearable) way.

Hopefully you won't end up in the same position again. That's why I always carry emergency snacks (nuts, Nakd bars, fruit, protein balls) in my handbag. Hangry is not a good look for me ;-) .
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The problem is this mind set that losing weight is all about cutting food calories People neglect that exercising burns calories, so they never take in consideration that you don't need to "just" cut food. It looks like you made your deficit by being under your overal caloric needs by excluding food, without thinking about how many calories are used by exercise. So if you are 1200 total caloric food, and then do lets say jump rope for a half hour, with moderate intensity, you would also have to take off another 150-300 calories. (age, height weight, intensity matter.) So now you're at 1000 total calories! TOO LOW AND DANGEROUS!

By doing so you made an even more deficit by working out. There needs to be a balance. In reality you're below 1200 because of the exercises. Why not increase calories by around 100-200 to get some extra fuel for your body that it needs, cutting calories and eating less food is great tool, but as you're seeing if done wrong it can be dangerous!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you had a blood sugar crash. I've had them before, out of the blue, but you were also restricting your calories. My suggestion would be to pair some protein and a little fat with your carbs. Your breakfast that day was cereal and coffee, almost no protein and fat. You have to fuel your body for it to function properly.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what happens to me when I get a bout of vertigo.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    et a blood pressure wrist cuff. Next time that happens check your BP.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you had a blood sugar crash. I've had them before, out of the blue, but you were also restricting your calories. My suggestion would be to pair some protein and a little fat with your carbs. Your breakfast that day was cereal and coffee, almost no protein and fat. You have to fuel your body for it to function properly.

I get that quite frequently, but I haven't been eating quite as drastic a restriction as OP, and usually have balanced meals. So it might be something else than just needing to balance meals better. But doing that and eating a bit more is definitely a good place to start at least.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you "bonked" to me (when you run out of glycogen stored in your liver which helps regulate your central nervous system among other things.)

Eat something high in fructose or high carb.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What you are experiencing sounds familiar. 1) You could be in too much of a deficit. 2) Did this feeling of dizziness only happen after you ate? If so, it could be your body's reaction to a sudden load of sugar. How is your blood sugar normally? You didn't provide any stats but since you are active you might want to try a calorie goal between 1200 and 2000. 1200 doesn't sound right for you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    could be symptoms of too much work/exercise and not enough fuel?

Yes...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. If you put your information into this site with an daily activity level that was in keeping with your work, and you set your weight loss goal to something like 1 pound a week, I am sure it would give you more than 1200 unless you are like 4' tall.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You are eating like a dieter and training like an athlete. Your diet and training need to be complimentary not contradictory...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    You are eating like a dieter and training like an athlete. Your diet and training need to be complimentary not contradictory...

exactly...why are you trying to lose 1-2lbs a week..that's a lot...do you have over 50lbs to lose?

1/4 to 1/2 lb a week is typically a good plan.

Your goal when losing weight shouldn't be to eat as little as possible and lose as fast as possible...

It should be to eat as much as possible and still lose a reasonable amount of weight.

BTW when I feel like that it's one of two reasons...not enough water (I have low blood pressure as my norm 90/60) or I haven't eaten enough (which is not common)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Put yourself as active and pick 1 pound a week, and eat back exercise calories...

The question though is how much weight have you lost since January and how much do you have to lose? If you have less than 50 pounds to lose, 1 pound a week is plenty. And less than 10/15, 1/2 pound is best.
  • dandelily
    dandelily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes to the above points. Eat more protein and fat for longer lasting energy. Make sure you're getting enough water, potassium, magnesium, and salt. Salt isn't all that bad if you keep it in ratio with potassium. Your body definitely needs it if you've been working out a lot.
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for your replies.
    I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to you.

To answer some of your questions, I have lost 13lbs since January. I don't really need to lose anymore as I'm now 8st 3. I need to to learn how to maintain though. I'm not really sure how to do that.
    I know some of you may say I didn't really need to lose any starting at 9st 4 (I'm 5ft 3) but I have light bones (seriously!) I had given birth to my second baby the year before and was really struggling to lose the large amount of lard I was carrying on my hips/bottom.
    Through exercise and calorie counting I've managed to lose saddle bags. My aim was to be able to fit into my ore-pregnancy jeans which I couldn't even get the zip to meet in January. I'm getting married in July and I thought if I could get my old clothes to fit, I'd be happy when my I have my dress fitting with my seamstress in May. When I found my dress I was horrified that they ordered it in 2 sizes bigger than I was 2 years ago.

The dizziness didn't happen right after eating, probably half an hour or so had passed. It was hideous and I felt totally out of control of my body. Like when you've had that extra glass of wine too many and your legs start to go from under you. It was actually really scary.

Someone asked why I was only on 1200 calories. MFP recommended that when I put my details in. It has recommended the same for me sister (who is just over 9st and wanted to lose a couple of lbs) and our mum who is over 11st and wants to lose a few stone). I changed my activity level and it still says 1200 ??

My diary does show I am definitely not starving myself. I ALWAYS eat breakfast whether its cereal or poached egg and spinach on toast. My lunch is generally a lentil/chickpea type soup with an apple and yoghurt and I always cook healthy dinners (fish, chicken, lots of veg, rice or potatoes). I don't really do processed food as I have coeliac disease.
    I also allow myself treats (especially this easter!)

Someone mentioned blood pressure. Mine has always been low although I can't remember the actual numbers. It's not usually effected me though.

I do need to up my water intake. I am a bit crap at remembering to drink sometimes.

Someone also mentions that I'm eating less than 1200 because of exercise but I'm not. I always eat 1400+ if I do a 200 cal workout. I always allow the extra food to make up what I've burned in working out.

Thankfully I didn't get that horrible feeling again. it was so awful.

Thanks again all for your words of advice. Very appreciated x

• Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Don't think it would be a bad idea to see your doctor.