Experiencing dizziness while dieting

Options
Been dieting for the past month. Limiting carbs and trying not to eat back calories that I've exercised off. Lately, I've had several horrible dizzy spells. Anyone else experience dizzy spells while on low carb diet? I don't want to stop dieting. Any advice on what to eat or do to stop the dizzy spells so I can continue on diet?

Replies

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight and eat carbs. Carbs give you energy. What are you set at calorie wise? Stats?
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are not eating enough.
  • tammydnaquin
    tammydnaquin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1290 calories is what MFP is set at with 161g of carbs. I eat more than 1290 calories which takes me into my exercise calories but I try not to eat more than half of those.
  • katej37
    Options
    How much have you set it to lose? How tall are you? How much do you currently weigh and whats your goal weight? I'm 5ft, 42yrs old and am set at lightly active. I get 1500 calories per day aiming for 0.5lb a week loss. (got 20lbs or so to go) x
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Been dieting for the past month. Limiting carbs and trying not to eat back calories that I've exercised off. Lately, I've had several horrible dizzy spells. Anyone else experience dizzy spells while on low carb diet? I don't want to stop dieting. Any advice on what to eat or do to stop the dizzy spells so I can continue on diet?

You don't have to eat low carb to lose weight just have a calorie deficit. But you are probably just eating too little.
    You should be eating a portion of your exercise calories back. I'd start trying to eat at least half of those calories.
  • Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eat some carbs
  • tammydnaquin
    tammydnaquin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Goal is to lose 20lbs. I'm approximately 5'6" at 165 lbs. started out at 171 lbs. 40 yrs old. Goal is maintain at 150 lbs. I sit at a desk all day. I exercise 2 or 3 times a week & walk as often as I can during the day to get as many steps as possible.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Try Carb Cycling, it'll work for you. :)
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

If you're reacting badly to a lack of carbs, then the solution is obvious. You do not need to exclude carbs, many of the people who are in great shape consume carbs. Low carb works for some people, but for others, it doesn't.
  • katej37
    Options
    Goal is to lose 20lbs. I'm approximately 5'6" at 165 lbs. started out at 171 lbs. 40 yrs old. Goal is maintain at 150 lbs. I sit at a desk all day. I exercise 2 or 3 times a week & walk as often as I can during the day to get as many steps as possible.

With only a small amount to lose set it to 0.5lbs a week loss - sounds to aggressive a calorie goal. If its set to 2lbs per week loss that is only really recommended if you have a large amount to lose (over 50lbs min)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Low carb is unnecessary. As others have said. Sounds like you need to eat more.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    As a person over 50 that gets dizzy spells, I have learned that a lot of different things can make you dizzy. I have spoken to my doctor about it and found that there is no particular problem. I recommend you doing the same, and I suspect that you will get the same answer, but it's good to be sure.

You could experiment by eating a small amount (50-100kcals) of sugar right when you feel dizzy. This could be a piece of fruit (try a small orange), a small amount of fruit juice, or a piece of hard candy. If it happens at a certain time of day, then you have your answer.
  • Captainswife73
    Captainswife73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hydrate, and also check your blood pressure...if it's low then you can experience dizziness as well.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    As a person over 50 that gets dizzy spells, I have learned that a lot of different things can make you dizzy. I have spoken to my doctor about it and found that there is no particular problem. I recommend you doing the same, and I suspect that you will get the same answer, but it's good to be sure.

You could experiment by eating a small amount (50-100kcals) of sugar right when you feel dizzy. This could be a piece of fruit (try a small orange), a small amount of fruit juice, or a piece of hard candy. If it happens at a certain time of day, then you have your answer.

^^ I really think that this is the best advice. It may transpire that your dizziness is due to carbs or calorie restriction (although I doubt the second one since 1200 cals per day is about right for your weight, age, sex, height for a 1lb per week loss and you have 15lb to go to get into normal BMI) but you should not rely on us, on an internet forum with something like this and your doctor may find another reason.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Usually due to low sodium. Increase it.
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Instead of cutting back ALL carbs, maybe try less processed carbs and refined sugars?
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had to stop doing low carb because of dizzy spells and stomach cramps so bad that it sent me to the ER. Low carb isn't for everyone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat some carbs
    161 grams is definitely some.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I had to stop doing low carb because of dizzy spells and stomach cramps so bad that it sent me to the ER. Low carb isn't for everyone.
    She has hers set to 161 grams. That's hardly low carb.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2016
    Options

161 grams (as you posted later) is not very low carb at all. 161 grams shouldn't be the issue. Are you peri-menopausal? Many women get dizzy spells as they enter that stage of life.
    Do you have an ear infection? Sinus issue? Visit a doc to rule out those issues. Stay hydrated.