How long can you plank for?

Options
I am at 50 seconds...beginner ☺

Replies

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I started at being able to do 2 sets at 45 seconds I'm now able to do a set of 2 min, than 2 sets of 1 min but I stopped doing the plank... I should get back to it, it's a good workout :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked a couple years ago I was over 8 minutes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There's not much point to doing more than 30-60 secs. Better at that point to look for ways to make it more challenging.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Don't care. Probably a couple minutes
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Dunno. I know that once I got to about 45 secs I started making it more challenging by alternating between forearm and straight arm planks. I also do planks with 1 leg or arm raised and working towards being able to hold a plank with 1 arm plus 1 leg raised at the same time.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Good points! I will make it more challenging. Thanks
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    We do 4-5 minutes of planking at our boxing club as part of cross training but add splits, side to sides and mountain climbers with a high plank. Omg do my abs burn after that but a good burn no less.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I also believe variations are helpful. Personal trainer often has us do several minutes of planks during gym workouts, but we mix it up by stacking one leg on the other, doing toe taps (1 leg out to side, then back in, same w/other leg, repeat), arm reaches while holding plank, side planks then extend the upper leg off ground, etc. Think using multiple planes of motion helps quite a bit in building core strength.