Has anyone kept weight off for over a year - binge eaters?

Options
surreychic
surreychic Posts: 117 Member
Hi,

I would be really keen to hear from those who who have kept weight off... for years? If so, how did you do it? low carb,general balance of good health healthy eating, portion control three meals a day?

I am particularly keen to hear from binge/emotional eaters (I know it's psychological but I personally believe it's biological too, sorry guys but TOM is hard with carb cravings..).

Many thanks in advance! PS if you have kept weight off- massive well done!

Replies

• flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi no but aim aiming to do that this time round. Feel free to add me if your looking for some buddies.
    Last year I workers really hard and lost 18kg - fast forward one year and I had put 10kg back on
    I am an emotional eater - even writing that makes me cringe
  • skinnygrandma73
    skinnygrandma73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a binge eater if I'm angry or upset I eat and tell myself I don't care. Some how saying that justifies my actions to me. Hence I have put on since I first found my fitness pal. Two years ago. But instead of say it's pointless I'm back again . Still not heart and sole I can to this more like that's a very big mountain it may take me a while but hopefully when we get to the top the view will be worth it
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Former and current binge eater. in 2001at 260 llbs, I began a weight loss journey that took several years, but I lost 90 lbs., became a runner/gym goer, ate super healthy (I cooked all the time, still ate dessert at special occasions, drank socially) and kept the binges to a rarity. Things just worked...I can't explain it. Then in 2011/2012, I stopped caring as much, I let myself go above 190 then 200. I had a lot of stress (still do) I'm now a yo-yo. I have 2 good weeks, then sabotage it for a week or 10 days. I have a closet full of clothes that I would love to wear and I'm not sure what will send me back to those much more sane days.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would love to know, too. I lose weight fairly easily and then gain it all back very quickly by bingeing. I'm trying to hammer out a maintenance strategy even though I'm still 45 lbs to GW. I'm hoping that will make a difference, as well as sucking it up and realizing that I may have to log my food intake for the rest of my life, no matter how tired of it I get. I don't have any specific triggers that I'm aware of. I just love food and I love the endorphin rush from stuffing myself to the gills. But I'm getting too old to keep going through this cycle of yo-yoing, and it's catching up to me in terms of poor health. I need it to stick this time. So please sound off if you're a recovered binge eater!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I binge still on occasion. In fact, I am today starting to undo the damage of the last three days. Avoiding binges entirely would be ideal, but reducing frequency of binges and recovering quickly to a small deficit diet have been working for me. "Small deficit" is my mantra. With no painful memories of being hungry or having low energy or feeling deprived associated with this slow weight loss, I don't have as much trouble with procrastinating getting back on track.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater my entire life. About 2 years ago I lost 55lbs and reached my goal weight. Yay! But then I went thru some huge life changes which triggered binges. Well, I ended up gaining it all back PLUS some. If I had to do it over again, I would maintain by continuing to count calories. I will probably have to count calories the rest of my life.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I will read it! I read Brian over binge. Great book. Still struggling though!
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, so mixed responses. I don't know if you are similar to me, but I can binge in the morning and on health foods too. So for long term weight loss I need great strategies to put in place (I also have the slight fear I am just biologically preprogrammed to eat and eat, and living in an environment whereby food is always available is tough but I am hoping this is me just trying to absolve responsibility, I want to take responsibility and want some hope!), we need to be ever prepared. So thank you for sharing!

I am the type of binge that will eat four avocados and a loaf of rye bread- if it's there I eat it, even if it's healthy stuff.

I have an issue in that I can start my day bingeing, I am also not resilient, when some one is unkind my first thought is food...

pariskathryn, how did you do it? that's fantastic!

Leah that sounds fab too, what chapters helped you specifically? I don't think I have an eating disorder in that I want to be slim (that would be nice too) i think I turn to food for happiness....
  • engagedprincess
    engagedprincess Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bizyangel
    bizyangel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    surreychic wrote: »
    Hi,

I would be really keen to hear from those who who have kept weight off... for years? If so, how did you do it? low carb,general balance of good health healthy eating, portion control three meals a day?

I am particularly keen to hear from binge/emotional eaters (I know it's psychological but I personally believe it's biological too, sorry guys but TOM is hard with carb cravings..).

Many thanks in advance! PS if you have kept weight off- massive well done!

• bizyangel
    bizyangel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has. Like myself she didn't change her eating drastically just cut back. She never gave up wine she kept it calorie based. The wonderful thing with this app it also shows how many calories you can take in without gains if you wish to maintain. I am 51 lost 20 lbs in under 2 months. 40 more to go. It's about making decisions. Is it worth the calories as you only get so many in a day. When I first started I looked at this app like a video game. Don't go over the calories or you lose. It was quite fun. Now it's a life style.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Compulsive over eater/ binge eater most of my adult life. Lost weight and regained it in my 30s, now 57.
    Changed my eating habits September 2013.
    Began exercising regularly January 2014.
    Now maintaining a weight loss of 42.5kgs (93 lbs) since June 2015.
    I weigh and measure my food the majority of the time - doesn't bother me.
    I estimate when I eat out. I maintain a calorie count.
    I occasionally over eat around things like Christmas and easter (chocolate) but try to get back on track immediately.
    I check in at MFP everyday.
    Persistence is the key.

Bump
  • kacowgill99
    kacowgill99 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Will someone define binge eating? When I think of binge eating I think of non stop eating over a period of time until you vomit. Is this correct?

I am definately guilty of overeating but never considered myself a binge eater.

Is there a difference between binge eating and over eating?
  • dedycus
    dedycus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Will someone define binge eating? When I think of binge eating I think of non stop eating over a period of time until you vomit. Is this correct?

I am definately guilty of overeating but never considered myself a binge eater.

Is there a difference between binge eating and over eating?

Binge eating is just eating a large amount of food in a short period of time. You don't necessarily have to throw up, though some people do.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!