What to wear hiking?

Options
So I've never been hiking and I'm going for the first time next weekend. What do I wear? Thanks

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    what type of terrain, weather and length? Is there an elevation change?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest hiking shoes ... but you'd want to wear those around town etc., several times in situations where you can take them off or stop walking if your feet start hurting because of the shoes. With less than a week to go, I'm not sure you have time to "break in" a pair of hiking shoes. So ... I guess you'll have to go with your most comfortable decently solid shoes.

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good hiking shoes or boots if you have them. Tennis shoes are usually fine on shorter hikes ( under 5 miles round trip). Try to stay away from wearing cotton if you can. I like to wear a long sleeved light colored shade layer in the spring and summer. A brimmed hat and sunglasses. Make sure you wear sunscreen. Use bug spray if mosquitos are a problem. I would recommend bringing a backpack loaded with the following: 3 liters of water, trail snacks (maybe even a meal), extra sunscreen and bug spray, a ziplock bag with a good amount of toilet paper, an extra layer for warmth, and an emergency rain poncho. Have fun!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend hiking boots. Stick to regular trainers. The lighter, the better. You don't need any fancy gear. I used to hike in whatever old clothes I could find. Just make sure you have enough water. Please.
  • J_Kidd85
    J_Kidd85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always wear my tennis shoes...have been hiking several times and never had problems. I also always wear pants that I can move around well in. This time of year I wear a tank top with some sort of long sleeve / jacket over it. It really depends on how long the hike / weather / etc. Plenty of water, good snacks, paper towels or tissue..
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    what type of terrain, weather and length? Is there an elevation change?

we would need to know this info before we can help you out
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation, what should I pack?

We can't offer advice without knowing your situation.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Terrain? Distance?

The biggest consideration is probably footwear (otherwise comfortable, weather appropriate clothing). If you're tackling reasonably tame terrain on an established path a pair of well fitting walking / running shoes will probably suffice.

Take along a couple of pairs of spare socks (I'm an old fuddy duddy who still like grey wool socks when I'm wearing my hiking boots) and a change of clothes (sweater / jacket) in case the weather turns.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you are hiking like others have mentioned and for how long. When I'm out I see a lot of people in just regular tennis shoes. I prefer hiking shoes myself but if it's not something you plan on doing a lot you might not want to invest in any. For clothing I just wear workout pants and a tank and layer appropriately. If there is any possibility of scrambling I just wear stuff I don't care as much about.

My BF and I had planned to do Zion next weekend and I just bought him some hiking shoes so we did a short trail this past weekend so you definitely want to break them in first if possible. Like others mentioned, water, snacks, etc.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I wear very expensive hiking boots - cause I'm often climbing hills with rocks and I also need ankle support

cheap work trousers so I don't care if they get ripped, but will resist thorns

a long sleeve shirt with an inner mesh layer to absorb sweat and will protect my arms

a baseball hat to shield my face from sun

backpack to carry LOTS of water, cameras and food

but I'm hiking in semi-forest rocky areas
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I think it depends on where you are hiking like others have mentioned and for how long. When I'm out I see a lot of people in just regular tennis shoes. I prefer hiking shoes myself but if it's not something you plan on doing a lot you might not want to invest in any. For clothing I just wear workout pants and a tank and layer appropriately. If there is any possibility of scrambling I just wear stuff I don't care as much about.

My BF and I had planned to do Zion next weekend and I just bought him some hiking shoes so we did a short trail this past weekend so you definitely want to break them in first if possible. Like others mentioned, water, snacks, etc.

I'm jealous, I freakin' love Zion. Big tip: Angels Landing. Doo eet!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    "Hiking" is really too generalized a term to give a good answer...where are you hiking? What's the terrain? What's the weather? Is there elevation change? Lots of things would go into my decision personally...

This is one of my favorite hikes in the Sandia Mountains just east of Albuquerque (La Luz)...this trail is only about 8.7 miles, but you gain 3,851 feet in elevation...it starts out pretty easy for the first couple miles or so and then you really start to climb and hit the switchbacks...usually takes about 4 hours to hit the top

837363.jpg

I know people who wear trainers on this trail, but I personally like something with more support and off road grip for stuff like this, particularly as I will usually have a light pack on as well. I wear a light day hiker....these are them...these pull double duty as pretty much my daily walking around shoe...BTB, I love Keen for everyday kind of wear.

images.ashx?t=product&i=mmarshall_wp_raventawny_olive_3q.jpg&w=500&h=333&q=90

I wear these for more rugged terrain, multi day hikes/backpacking, etc...these are for pretty heavy duty use and they're expensive...but they're pretty much last you a decade depending on how you hike...

1444986093441023406.jpg

As clothing goes, many of my hikes start out warmer and climb in elevation...so I like wearing convertible pants and I make sure I have a light jacket to wear at higher elevations...also, a hat. On most hikes, I'm going to have at least a small day pack with extra water, food, and other gear.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    nevermind... get me out of this thread.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    VegasFit wrote: »

I'm jealous, I freakin' love Zion. Big tip: Angels Landing. Doo eet!!

That's in the plan! I've never been before.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    What's the style/number of the Keen dayhiker? I like the look
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I agree with the others - it really depends on where you are hiking and the type of hike. I have a variety of clothing/gear depending on the conditions. I wear hiking shoes if it's an easier hike, hiking boots if the terrain is more challenging. I have lined hiking pants if it is cold and wet, hiking capris for if it is hot. I also have my camelback with my 10 essentials that I use unless it's more of a walk than a hike and then I might just bring a water bottle and a small backpack.
  • nkhalid74
    nkhalid74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi .. as above drink plenty .. sensible comfy hiking shoes, which you should break in., travel light..superlight if you can..pack the essentials... a phone in case u get into trouble. above all have fun...