Early Morning Gym Goers?

Alright peeps, I need to get back into my early morning habit. I used to get up at 4:00 and go every morning, but lately, I can't stop finding excuses to stay in bed. How do you all motivate yourself to get over the initial hump?

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Between work, on call, toddler, and my husband's very odd work schedule, I KNOW that if I don't get up in the morning, I won't be able to go at all. I HATE mornings...but I love working out. Sometimes my alarm goes off and I just want to turn over and sleep another couple of hours, but I just have to tell myself that if I do that, I won't get to work out that day, and that's my motivation. Good luck!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    1) Roll out of bed
    2) Drink pre-workout
    3) Never sleep again
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    So you do a step up alarm system until you adjust your body to the time to naturally wake up (without alarm)

Day 1 - 7am
    Day 2 - 6:30am
    Day 3 - 6am and so on
    (or 15 min increments)

Usually the weather has alot to do with this too. People are more inclined to jump out and face the day when the weather is warmer and brighter
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    1) Roll out of bed
    2) Drink pre-workout
    3) Never sleep again

Pretty much.

My alarm is on the other side of the room and I don't want my wife killing me so I have to get up to turn it off. I generally wake up without it now which is nice.

Then I already have everything ready to go. Gym clothes in the bathroom. Pre-workout in the fridge and I start sucking it down right away for the caffeine jolt. Lunch prepared ready to be thrown in the cooler, gym bag packed with work clothes, towel, etc. I make it as simple as possible for myself because thinking isn't happening.

It was really hard the few couple of weeks as I pushed my wakeup time back from 4:45 to 4:00, but now, its not bad at all.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Get up, splash cold water on your face and done
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    I invested in a natural light alarm clock. The light tricks your body into thinking that it is daytime and makes it easier to wake up. I still need a scoop of pre-workout to get me really going though.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    I've been doing it for a year and a half now. Never once have I thought it has gotten easier, especially in those cold months where it is 3 degrees outside and a warm bed seems so much nicer. But I know it is my only option. I try to get to bed earlier. I sometimes also wear some of my work out clothes to bed. And I know that when I'm done, I never regret it.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 307 Member
    Natural light alarm clocks are great and I loved it when I was single...but if I'm waking up at a different time than the girl, then its not really fair to have that thing come on. The alarm at least is quick and it just takes some will power to force myself out of bed.

I go have my shot of espresso and then on with my workout!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    I have no choice to be under the bar by 430 or no training. I do it because I want too. Some nights I can't even sleep because I look forward to training first thing.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    My husband has the Rocky theme song as his alarm tone.

It motivates me enough to roll over and bark at him to shut his phone off and get up. The dog has also gotten used to his schedule and will whine at 3:30am for him to get up so he can get let out of the crate and climb into bed with me. :D

You need a dog and a theme song.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    My desire to destroy my goals is bigger than my desire to stay curled up in bed.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    My husband has the Rocky theme song as his alarm tone.

It motivates me enough to roll over and bark at him to shut his phone off and get up. The dog has also gotten used to his schedule and will whine at 3:30am for him to get up so he can get let out of the crate and climb into bed with me. :D

You need a dog and a theme song.

My cats have gotten into my routine. Well, one of them. Even though there's still food in the bowl she's always coming into the bedroom wondering "Why are you not topping it off?" from about 3:50 on. lol
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    dog gets me up
    sometimes i sleep in my workout clothes.
    sometimes I literally roll or inch out of bed
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    1) Understand that if I want to achieve my goals I need to get up early in the AM.

2) Press snooze twice, get up at 4:05.

3) Get to gym by about 4:30 home by 6.

Rinse - Repeat
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    well my infant screams. I feed her, go to work for 2 hours.

Then my goal is come fall to drop her at daycare at the gym then work out once she is old enough for the gyms daycare.

Till then its feed her, then go run for a while when the weather is nice and I am not working my 2nd job between my split shift.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I'm not a morning person and trained myself to get up for early mornings. I make sure I go to bed early so that I'm rested. It's still hard. I rather sleep in, but I get up at 5am on workdays so I can get weights and cardio out of the way. Once you build a habit it becomes easier.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Go to bed earlier. The earlier you go to bed, the earlier you'll wake up.

I used to go to bed ~midnight and wake up ~8AM, now I go to bed ~10PM and I'm up by ~6AM. If I wanted to get up at 4AM, then I'd go to bed by 8PM. If I continued to go to bed at 10PM and forced myself up at 4AM I'd just be continually sleep deprived. (as a note, I'm not saying you have to get 8 hours sleep, that is just what I need, some people do fine on less, some need more)

Oh, and I haven't used an alarm clock in years, except when on travel and I'm off my normal schedule so I don't miss flights, work, etc...
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited March 2016
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    1) Roll out of bed
    2) Drink pre-workout
    3) Never sleep again

exactly this. i have it measured out and weighting the bathroom

i go to bed at 11 and am up at 5. thats a solid 6 hours and its plenty....most days
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Planning is key! You have to have your stuff together or it won't work. Can't find your favorite socks or don't know what you're going to wear to work? That's what will kill your plan - they become great excuses to blow off the gym. I know! I'm a former 5:30 a.m. gym girl... I'm hoping that by writing this I'll remember the good times of early morning workouts. I really did love them!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I keep my mind on what I want to do later in the day instead of working out -- if I get out of bed before work, it means I get to spend the entire evening with my husband and dogs. Since I value that time, I prefer to work out before work and that motivates me to get out of bed consistently.