February Hunter Gatherer all natural Challenge

Options
Darton2010
Darton2010 Posts: 137 Member
Hey Everyone,

I decided to start a challenge, the challenge is simple, only eat/drink foods and liquids that you could hunt or gather 100 years ago. If it's all natural than put it on the plate.

For example nuts, meat, vegetables, honey, fruits, milk, water, real butter for cooking ext.

Cutting out pretty much anything that has chemicals or artificial ingredients, sodas, breads, (a big one for me) cheese, ext. If you can't walk outside and hunt it or grow it than its off limits. post below if you plan to join.

I have done this for some time and everytime I stick to only this diet without slipping, I feel better and have much more energy than I did eating junk food and soda.

It's not an easy challenge, on a scale of 1-10 I would say it's a 9 because of advertisements and the vast amounts of fast food places out there but I promise it's worth it after the 30 days.

They say it takes 22 days to break and start a new habit so after the month most people stay with it.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Are cheese and bread okay if you're making them yourself from scratch?
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ok, but had you come trying to gather vegetables on my family's farm 100 years ago, you would have gotten plenty of extra exercise right quick. Pretty sure you wouldn't have found a lot of broccoli and lettuce that somebody didn't plant either. And if you tried to gather the milk, I'm not sure if you'd be better off with the wild animals or the owners of the domestic ones.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I don't think that hunter/gatherer is quite an accurate description for this. Still, good luck with it. And don't forget that in addition to cheese and milk, people have been making beer and wine for a long long time, and they are about as minimally processed as things come. None of them are actually even that hard to do.
  • Darton2010
    Options
    ok, but had you come trying to gather vegetables on my family's farm 100 years ago, you would have gotten plenty of extra exercise right quick. Pretty sure you wouldn't have found a lot of broccoli and lettuce that somebody didn't plant either. And if you tried to gather the milk, I'm not sure if you'd be better off with the wild animals or the owners of the domestic ones.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I don't think that hunter/gatherer is quite an accurate description for this. Still, good luck with it. And don't forget that in addition to cheese and milk, people have been making beer and wine for a long long time, and they are about as minimally processed as things come. None of them are actually even that hard to do.

If you had a family farm in the United States 100 years ago they were most likely growing corn, wheat, soy, tobacco or potatoes that is correct but it's the family farms garden I'm more interested with the broccoli and lettuce as you put it, point is to eat stuff that hasn't been meddled with by chemicals or genetically modified. Your points don't make much sense. And FYI lettuce and broccoli wasn't magically planted by a person somewhere, it was found on the earth (gathered) and seeded in another location. Same with every other plant. Another point you had was about milk, you can domesticate any animal, and the most popular milk producers are cows and goats, if you milk either one your gathering, owning the animal makes no difference. I own chickens, I gather there eggs twice a day. I'm not sure of a better name for it, some refer to it as the paleo diet. If you have a better suggestion let me know.

• Darton2010
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Are cheese and bread okay if you're making them yourself from scratch?

If the ingredients are all natural, no dyes or preservatives ext. the yeast for modern bread is tricky, it is natural but back in the day without it there breads didn't rise like it does today. Also the bleached flour has more chemicals added. So with a quality and well researched yeast (how it was produced ext), a non modified flour and other quality ingredients that you could yourself grow and produce into bread I think that would be ok. I cut breads out all together and am focusing on meats, eggs, vegetables, fruits ext, things I could pick up in a natural environment and eat as it is. Basically stuff I can produce myself.
  • socccerplayer13
    socccerplayer13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started Paleo the first week of Feb, im in.

Made Paleo pizza, ice cream, and cupcakes this week