Exercise Suggestions

Options
I'm only losing 1 to 2 lbs a week and would like to do 3 to 4lbs a week. Besides the basic workouts (walking 5 miles each day, push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, etc.) What else would you suggest? No a lot of money - so no gym.

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Stay with 1 to 2 pounds a week. The risks with trying to lose too fast include burnout, and a failure to get adequate micronutrients, protein and good fats, which can lead to loss of lean body mass (both muscle and bone mass). Add some strength training and, given that there is no money to join a gym, look up bodyweight exercises such as convict conditioning.
  • ctrygrldwn2erth
    ctrygrldwn2erth Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1-2 lbs per week is what is considered safe/healthy weight loss.
    Depending on where you are at weight wise now, losing more could require you to cut your calories to low and risk malnutrition. Losing too fast can result in a larger percentage of your weight loss coming from your lean body mass than would have happened.

And for exercise variety, look up fitnessblender.
  • jennichavi
    jennichavi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories? My personal trainer advised that I start at 1500 and DO NOT MINUS MY EXERCISE. Then said decrease by 100 per week until I hit 1200 then go back up to 1500 in intervals of 100 per week. This confuses the body (Which is good for weight loss)
  • windstar57
    windstar57 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree -- 1 to 2 lbs a week is not only safe, but doable without feeling like you are a slave to your body. That brings you into burnout mode and then to yo-yo workouts/weigh-ins/calorie counting. This is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. Good habits to continue through the rest of your life so you won't have to try to take off 20...when it comes off slower, it usually stays off permanently....keep up the great work (outs)...walking anywhere can definitely get you into shape and all you need are a pair of sneakers and a journal of different routes to log to keep you motivated. :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    jennichavi wrote: »
    Are you counting calories? My personal trainer advised that I start at 1500 and DO NOT MINUS MY EXERCISE. Then said decrease by 100 per week until I hit 1200 then go back up to 1500 in intervals of 100 per week. This confuses the body (Which is good for weight loss)

Does your personal trainer understand the difference between TDEE and NEAT? Suggesting one over the other without explanation isn't very helpful for new people.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    jennichavi wrote: »
    My personal trainer advised that I start at 1500 and DO NOT MINUS MY EXERCISE. Then said decrease by 100 per week until I hit 1200 then go back up to 1500 in intervals of 100 per week. This confuses the body

The body doesn't get confused. Minds get confused. ;)
    I'm only losing 1 to 2 lbs a week and would like to do 3 to 4lbs a week.

1-2 lbs. per week is excellent. What's the rush? Since losing weight faster than that is potentially unhealthy (gall stones, pancreatitis), ask your doctor first. :+1:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Your local library will likely have workout DVDs. Also look in books for You Are Your Own Gym

I love Jessica Smith TV on YouTube - free with lots of variety.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    See if your health insurance will pay for a gym. Mine does.
  • LindzMiche
    LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com Free workout videos. I do these when I don't feel like going to the gym. They're for all levels.. can sort by difficulty, time, part of body you want to work, etc.
  • ctrygrldwn2erth
    Options
    LindzMiche wrote: »
    Fitnessblender.com Free workout videos. I do these when I don't feel like going to the gym. They're for all levels.. can sort by difficulty, time, part of body you want to work, etc.

Thanksgiving I've never tried those
  • ctrygrldwn2erth
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Your local library will likely have workout DVDs. Also look in books for You Are Your Own Gym

I love Jessica Smith TV on YouTube - free with lots of variety.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Thanks
  • ctrygrldwn2erth
    Options
    windstar57 wrote: »
    I agree -- 1 to 2 lbs a week is not only safe, but doable without feeling like you are a slave to your body. That brings you into burnout mode and then to yo-yo workouts/weigh-ins/calorie counting. This is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. Good habits to continue through the rest of your life so you won't have to try to take off 20...when it comes off slower, it usually stays off permanently....keep up the great work (outs)...walking anywhere can definitely get you into shape and all you need are a pair of sneakers and a journal of different routes to log to keep you motivated. :)

Thanks. I usually walk 5 miles a day minimum along with a small workout.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I agree on the library - mine has a ton of workout dvds! Also awesome websites like the greatest or popsugar all have 10,15, 20 or 30 min routines that often have no equipment. There's also a site called 7 minute workout that is a great timed workout that you can repeat 2 or 3 times. It uses 12 different exercises 30 seconds ea with rest in between. there's no pause button, so you have to adapt and move on. No warm up or cool down, so you have to DIY that portion. Pinterest is also a great resource for routines, how-to's, etc.

Good luck! You don't need a gym to get fit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    I'm only losing 1 to 2 lbs a week and would like to do 3 to 4lbs a week. Besides the basic workouts (walking 5 miles each day, push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, etc.) What else would you suggest? No a lot of money - so no gym.

Losing more than 2lbs or so a week isn't realistic and could be very unhealthy. Cardio would assist weight/waist loss the best, at a slight detriment to muscular mass. If you are focusing on weight and waist and not strength then I would lean heavily on cardio in your exercise balance. When I put off 40-50 lbs I was only doing running and no strength training. I leaned up quickly, with little to no muscle gain but lots of fat loss.

if you are eating at a deficit you are not going to gain much if any muscle(aside from newbie gains which will be slight,unless someone has lifted in the past then its possible to gain a little).as for muscle mass you can preserve that with a good amount of protein and heavy lifting,you still wont gain mass though. you also get stronger lifting weights.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you dont have to stack it towards breakfast. I make sure I eat a little carbs,fat and protein at all meals and snacks.from what I understand your body can only process so much protein at a time? not sure if thats true or how much never said protein and fat werent necessary.but why would stacking your protein around breakfast make a difference as opposed to throughout the day? I dont think it does,same with meal timing.