Thought - losing weight does not matter anymore

Options
On Saturday, I was reaching for a food I should not be eating at this time. The thought came bubbling up from my unconscious that losing weight does not matter anymore. I thought "Whoa, where did that come from?" I walked away from the food to have a think. I have another 50-60 pounds to go, and have been stuck for a while. My own fault, due to not recording and not eating to plan.

Losing weight does matter. I have chronically injured knees and back. Losing weight will help them. I just got off my diabetes medicine and am slowly reducing one of my anti-depression medicines (with my Doctor's approval).

Could I be reacting to the reduction of the anti-depression medicine? I will be calling my Doctor to talk to her about this. I did the first reduction on March 1, and have kept the same dosage. I plan to do my next reduction mid-April.

Any advise from others who may have felt this way?

Replies

• wildfire1204
    wildfire1204 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I wish I could advise...the only thing I can say is congrats on your successes thus far. I hope that those things continue to serve as a reminder of why you got started in the first place. Quitting puts you back into the same situation you were leaving. You can definitely do this
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    While I am not saying that it is your medicine (because I'm not a doctor), that certainly sounds like it could be playing a part. I imagine being stuck is also in the mix.

I'm sorry for that moment, but it sounds like you handled it in a very successful way.

Remembering what we've accomplished thus far is such an important step when we need to keep pushing. I have to do this every now and again. No. That's a lie. I have to do it almost every day.

Something will come up that just pushes me, and I remind myself of how far I've come. Sometimes is simply that time of the month, and my hunger seems out of my control. When I somehow manage to control it, I feel incredible. Sometimes it's in a weird part of the weight loss where the weight is coming off funny, and it gives the illusion of being heavier. I have to look at the numbers (scale and measurements), and I remind myself of how much has changed. It might also be that moment when my husband eats a whole bag of chips (and is at his healthy weight), and I have to go get my food scale to eat a serving. That moment really triggers the, "what's the point?" self-talk.

But... when I can feel sexy in my current state, exhaust my kiddos when we play, and not have to feel guilty when I eat a treat/indulgent food, I know it's worth it. For me, one of the biggest changes is not associating foods with feeling bad or feeling sick. I can eat it because I log it.

You are no longer on medicine to control diabetes... that's beyond amazing! You are lowering other medications. Your body is going through some amazing changes.

Yes. I have these days, and they are rough. But looking back, exactly as you did, is the perfect way to remind yourself that it does matter.
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Intrusive thoughts are a pain in the butt. Yeah, talk to your doctor.
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe think of it this way: Losing weight doesn't matter, but being healthier, living longer, having a better quality of life ...ect. (you see where I am going with this) all of that stuff does matter