Headstands, hand stands and forearm stands

Options
Does anyone have any tips for getting into handstands, forearm stands and headstands as well as holding them. I'm currently working mostly on forearm and head stands and can hold them while up against a wall, however I cannot get into them by myself or hold if I'm not against a wall.

Replies

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Core strength. You don't say which yoga lineage you are coming to inversions from, but they all have their setup poses. Dolphin is a good headstand precursor. Shoulderstand and halasana will help development of core strength for the advanced inversion.

You should educate yourself as to the risks of inversions. They are not taught in all traditions as some gurus believe they are dangerous. I'd recommend the WAWADIA blog which has a comprehensive discussion of the anatomical risks of inversion and a discussion of the yogic science around an inverted practice.
  • daynaxxanne
    daynaxxanne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Core strength. You don't say which yoga lineage you are coming to inversions from, but they all have their setup poses. Dolphin is a good headstand precursor. Shoulderstand and halasana will help development of core strength for the advanced inversion.

You should educate yourself as to the risks of inversions. They are not taught in all traditions as some gurus believe they are dangerous. I'd recommend the WAWADIA blog which has a comprehensive discussion of the anatomical risks of inversion and a discussion of the yogic science around an inverted practice.

I don't actually do yoga, I used to dance so I know stretches for it, for the most part, but I was looking for a new way to challenge myself and I've always wanted to be able to do hand stands so I figured I'd start there
  • kittybitty01
    kittybitty01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also don't practice yoga and wanted to learn hand/head/forearm stands for fun and all I did was keep trying. When I first started I did handstands all the time (seriously, maybe four sessions of 6-7 mins per day) just for the fun and the practice. Also, I looked up how to bail properly on YouTube so I would to be afraid to do it without a wall. Headstands are the easiest one, forearm is the one I'm still somewhat struggling with. Oh, and general core/shoulder strength helps :) have fun!!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I learned them in pole. If you can't hold them you probably have a very weak core (especially if you can't hold against wall!). There some yoga programs focusing on inversions you could look into that. Until you get stronger definitely don't do them alone.
  • daynaxxanne
    daynaxxanne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I learned them in pole. If you can't hold them you probably have a very weak core (especially if you can't hold against wall!). There some yoga programs focusing on inversions you could look into that. Until you get stronger definitely don't do them alone.

I can hold them, but only if I'm against the wall, its getting into them that I cannot do at all
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Ooh, as an ex gymnast and coach i do! i do! I love when people ask questions about this kind of stuff. :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWvT4yp1NQ

This is an excellent video! :)

Learning the t-hold position, developing core strength, learning proper form, are all necessary. I also highly recommend you begin something called wall walks in addition to the exercises in the above video. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpuoE246W1Y

You will want to learn to properly roll out as well-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oK9SknMRhA

This is the proper spinal alignment for rolling out of a failing handstand. You want to tuck your chin, knees come to the side so you don't hit yourself in the face, etc. Hell, it might be a good idea to learn forward rolls before you begin inversion work.

As far as headstands? I don't recommend you begin them until you have the upper body strength accumulated from working on HANDSTANDs. :)