Running or Walking :/

Katy2Survivor
Katy2Survivor Posts: 111 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Running or walking ?

Replies

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    first walking if you are new in this. Then running. OR you can walk for 1 min ther run for 1 min x 10-15
  • Katy2Survivor
    I walk 3 weeks already ever day ... 5 miles daily .. But I cannot run grr and its making me mad :neutral:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Katt551 wrote: »
    I walk 3 weeks already ever day ... 5 miles daily .. But I cannot run grr and its making me mad :neutral:

then you need to begin on a training program which starts you walking/jogging in intervals and slowly increases your lactate threshold.

something like couch to 5k might work well for you.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Whichever you prefer, if you want to be a runner, run. If you don't want to run, then walk.
  • latincoffee
    latincoffee Posts: 187 Member
    Why not just use an elliptical (is less strain on your knee joints).
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    edited March 2016
    As I said and @rainbowbow mentioned alternate walk with run. C25K is a good start.
    And take it easy when running
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I started walking. Then I started walking fast and then faster, and then jogging some while walking. Then I started running and then walking some..

Now I am runner. And now I hate walking for exercise..

Waling or running for exercise is totally a personal choice and not one is better than the other. DO SOMETHING you will ENJOY doing. IF YOU ENJOY IT, you will do it..
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    It really depends on your preference and what your body can handle
  • Katy2Survivor
    How I do this ?
  • Katy2Survivor
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Waling or running for exercise is totally a personal choice and not one is better than the other. DO SOMETHING you will ENJOY doing. IF YOU ENJOY IT, you will do it..
    Thank you !
  • tsymonds1
    tsymonds1 Posts: 32 Member
    Both, run with the dog and walk with the wife as she isn't a runner.
  • latincoffee
    latincoffee Posts: 187 Member
    How I do this ?

They have em at the the gym. I always use the elliptical and you can always go at your own pace while seeing your calories burned and checking on heart rate. ;)

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Whatever gets you moving and you enjoy. If you want to start running the Couch to 5k program has free apps for your phone and incorporates walking and running until you are able to run for 30 minutes straight.
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Running bores me pretty fast. I prefer to break it up somehow. I marvel at people that can run marathons. There's a lady in my office getting ready for 100 mile super marathon. Blows my mind.
  • Katy2Survivor
  • Katy2Survivor
    How I do this ?

They have em at the the gym. I always use the elliptical and you can always go at your own pace while seeing your calories burned and checking on heart rate. ;)

Thanks ;)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Running bores me pretty fast. I prefer to break it up somehow. I marvel at people that can run marathons. There's a lady in my office getting ready for 100 mile super marathon. Blows my mind.

My first half I was so bored my friend and I pretended to be tigers and then would stalk and pass prey ( we called the runners wounded gazelle) while growling and snarling.

We got a lot of weird looks, but we had a blast.
  • Katy2Survivor
    There's a lady in my office getting ready for 100 mile super marathon. Blows my mind.
    Oh my lol :smiley:
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    edited March 2016
    As folks have said, neither is really better than the other overall. Each one has points going for it but they balance out so do whatever YOU ENJOY and keep doing it.
    Me, I love walking and DON'T love running. So I walk to get the "weight-bearing exercise" benefits and purely for the enjoyment of it, and I do other things to get my cardio.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    I absolutely love running (my profile pic was 1 mile from the finish of my half marathon PR last fall). It sounds like you'd like to run, if so there's a great thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

If you've got an inkling to do it, I absolutely encourage you to make the plunge.

If you're on the fence and/or just bored with walking, there are all kinds of other exercises to explore out there, too.

Good luck! :)