Working out when hungry?

Options
Hey all,
Just trying to figure out if anyone else is experiencing the same thing as me. I work out early in the mornings (usually around 6) and then weights in the evening after I get off work. However, by the time I get off work I'M STARVING! Do you think its a good idea just go to the gym hungry then eat a big meal after? (right after work is the only time available to go) Or should I attempt to eat before, then work-out, and then eat again? Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i always eat something before i work out or i feel sick. but if it doesn't bother you i wouldn't worry about it.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Before i go kickbox, I'll have a banana or like an apple. I usually work out in the afternoons and again at night and so it's right before meals.... So a quick snack before is always good. Maybe like 30 minutes before.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I think its a good idea to have something small such as a health bar of some sort or a handful of granola....etc. After your workout you could eat a larger meal with protein if your hungry.
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You need energy to work out, and if you're really hungry, your workouts will suffer. On the other hand you should ideally give yourself about 1-3 hours after eating before working out because your body needs to focus on digestion.

What I do when I have that problem, is eat a small meal, maybe 100 calories or less, of something easily digestible, like fruit for example
  • balletnurse
    Options
    It is best to have a little protein before a workout, especially if you are lifting weights, and have dinner (and any carbs!) after the workout.
  • pika8202
    pika8202 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi if I am really hungry I usually have a handful of raw almonds or pistacios (6-8) just as a little fuel for lifting. If you don't have enough energy to lift you really wont be getting optimal benefit from weight training. I then make sure I eat within immediately, usually within 30-60 minutes after weight training as that is when your metabolic rate is increased, and your muscles will be hungry for protein.
  • balletnurse
    Options
    Even a handful of almonds or a hard boiled egg before a workout will give you adequate fuel for a workout!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If I am in within my limits and hungry I eat.. if you are always hungry after working out, I would try eating something small first.. I am ALWAYS starving after a good workout!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt work out on an empty stomach because that makes me feel sick, but a full stomach makes me ill too, so id probably have a banana or a small cereal bar before i went
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Eat within an hour before/after workouts. That way, the nutrients are absorbed better. Plus, if I work out hungry, I have less energy and I burn way less calories.
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Options
    Just eat a snack a little bit before you get off work to tide you over so you don't go home after your workout and gorge :) I know I'm starving after my workouts and if I workout when I'm really hungry I just want to pic out when I get done.