Logging Fruit & Veggies? (comparison to weightwatchers)

Options
Hi Guys!

Just wondering if you all also log ALL the fruit and veg that you eat?

Reason why i ask... is because a friend of mine was looking at the new weightwatchers pro-points plan, and fruit and veg on there have no points so you can eat as much of them as you want

I know they do have calories, but unless i was eating a whole bunch of grapes etc its generally not much

For example, for lunch today i had crackers with cottage cheese and baby spinach leaves, and 4 cherry tomatoes on the side

So when logging my lunch, i'm thinking for the sake of a couple of spinach leaves and small tomatoes is there really much point logging them!? (maybe its just me being lazy!) :)

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I think most people on MFP will agree that you should log ALL food, even 0 calorie drinks and such. That way you can look back in your diary and see what exactly you're eating and if it's either helping you or not helping you lose weight.

Fruits and veggies have calories, carbs, sugars, etc. A lot of people on MFP keep a close eye on their carb and sugar intake. So eating too many fruits could actually keep you from losing because of the sugar and carbs, if you eat enough of them and it puts you over your daily goal. So log everything!!!
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    but you're not on weightwatchers, you're counting calories
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Most fruits are very high in sugars and therefore, carbs. I'd log them. A few leaves of spinach or romaine? Possibly not if all you're counting is calories, but since I'm also watching my iron intake, I actually do log those.
  • LaughingStraightToDaBank
    Options
    The point of a food diary is to log everything you eat, no matter what it is. Too much of everything is bad so it's actually important to log even the very healthy things. Fruits have quite a bit of sugar so if you eat way too much servings, it's not actually such a good thing.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You might be able to get away with not logging veggies (the low-cal, non-starchy kind), but fruits add up in calories and carbs that could derail your weight loss plan.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'm not counting calories myself. I use the site for support in other ways, and dont log anything. I am currently eating unlimited veggies and unlimited fruits and feeling healthier by the day. (yes, I eat other things too.)
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I had also heard about not having to log all veggies but yes to fruit

i did come across a funny statement on google that said "Elephants are vegetarians too" Good point ;) haha

i will stop being lazy and go back to logging them all! I do not want to be an elephant! :)
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i log every thing i put in my mouth... even if its one almond. i even log gum. :)
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would never, ever discourage someone from eating their full of fruits and veggies--even as a diabetic, I am free and happy with my fruits and veggies, as I should be. But I track all of it, because I do need to watch the carbs and sometimes I have to juggle a little to make sure my fruit and veggies don't put me over. Remember, not all carbs or sugars are bad, and you can rarely go wrong with a fruit and veggie-rich diet. But I think you should keep track--as someone else said, you need to know what you're eating so you can watch for patterns and trends, plus it's a good idea to see how those nutrients/vitamins/minerals/fiber are stacking up for you.

Kris
  • edg_15
    edg_15 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like to log them because they show the nutrients I'm getting. It makes me feel good to see that I had a balanced meal.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    i like to log them generally but I am not uber strict. also go ahead and put in that you had a half cup or whatever when you don't want the hassle of calculating - its so little calories that its not going to mess your day up that bad. I usually kind of guesstimate and put ".25" and ".5" of a serving.