What was some mistakes you made when first dieting?

Options
I've been going on and off the horse a lot but so far lost 7 pounds, hoping to lose another 26 though and I hopped back on it again the past two months. Recently I realized I haven't been losing weight despite logging what I eat.

Until I realized I forgot to log simple things like butter/cheese/tomato sauce (when using it in spaghetti). I feel a "Duh" moment coming on and I'm resisting to slap my forehead. I've been so focus on the bread/meat/veggies/fruit/juices that I forgot to measure and scale the simple things I'm supposed to (like if I'm adding butter to toast or some cheese on my spaghetti).

Probably why it's extremely slow going process in losing weight.

Just duh.

What were some mistakes you made and didn't realize it?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Eating only 1200 calories
    Not using a food scale to measure my food
    Not logging correctly
    Becoming defeated too soon
    Not drinking enough water
    Drinking too much wine (maybe)
    Not packing my lunch daily
    Making too many excuses

Just a few I could come up with. I've been where you are and know it is frustrating. Will add for support and let me know if you need any advice!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Didn't focus on retaining muscle. I cut aggressively, didn't get enough protein, and didn't start lifting. I lost weight but was pretty weak. It's taken me years to gain my "fat guy" strength back.
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Not logging correctly
    Making too many excuses

Just a few I could come up with. I've been where you are and know it is frustrating. Will add for support and let me know if you need any advice!

Is it wrong to eat only 1200 calories? MFP had me on that originally so I gave myself some wiggle room to eat about 1350. Also, I have no friends on this website (despite being here forever) so yeah, I'll be sure to add you too! (I get the feel on the defeated/making too many excuses though, trying hard to stop doing that as well).
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Doing too much cardio and burning off a lot of my muscle mass. Made it impossible to lose any fat!
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not logging correctly
    Making too many excuses

Was pretty much exactly what I was going to say minus the wine lol
    That and I started by removing over half of the foods I love from my diet because they weren't "right" or "healthy". I lost 40 pounds in a little under a year and it took around the same time to gain it all back because I was being unrealistic with my food. Now, if it fits in my macros I eat it. I don't care if someone else doesn't think it's "right" or "healthy". I want this time around to be for keeps and that means being able to enjoy foods I love in moderation.
  • cathipa
    Options
    It is for most people. Unless you are very short and inactive 1200 calories is not enough. This is what most people get from MFP since they opt for 2 pound weight loss a week and from what your goals are you should chose 0.5 to 1 pound loss per week. I have learned not to trust what MFP gives for advice ("if every day were like today you would weigh this much in 5 weeks").
    Are you weighing your food? If you are not losing current goals chances are you are eating more than 1200 or even 1350 cal a day.
  • cathipa
    Options
    Not logging correctly
    Making too many excuses

Was pretty much exactly what I was going to say minus the wine lol
    That and I started by removing over half of the foods I love from my diet because they weren't "right" or "healthy". I lost 40 pounds in a little under a year and it took around the same time to gain it all back because I was being unrealistic with my food. Now, if it fits in my macros I eat it. I don't care if someone else doesn't think it's "right" or "healthy". I want this time around to be for keeps and that means being able to enjoy foods I love in moderation.

THIS!!! IIFYM for the win!!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yep yep & yep.
    Goal was too aggressive. No real strength training. Didn't (know to) pay attention to my macros.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Not logging correctly
    Making too many excuses

no such thing as too much wine :smiley:
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Definitely trying to do too much too fast, and not being pleased with results because they seemed to be too slow.

It's a process. It takes time. Be patient.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Comparing myself to others...BIG No No!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Giving up when I had a bad day
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Not planning an orderly transition to maintenance, and following it. Losing weight's relatively easy (at least for me), making permanent lifestyle changes isn't.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Also trying to restrict myself by giving up certain things like candy because I felt like I HAD to in order to succeed. Then I'd go nuts and eat two boxes of girl scout cookies in one sitting. Now I allow myself a treat when I can fit it in
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The two mistakes I made were thinking that I had to cut out certain things and only eat salads and rice cakes, and then completely giving up because I ruined everything when I would eat "junk" one day because eating nothing but salads and rice cakes is horribly boring.

So now I just eat what I want, keeping my calorie deficit. If I have a day where I eat too much of what I want, I just get up the next day and get back to it, realizing one day (or even a weekend or week) won't ruin anything.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Not using a food scale.
    Not weighing bread or whole fruit once I got a food scale (I logged things as 1 slice of bread/bun/apple/etc.).
    Not using the correct food entry in the database (I still struggle with this sometimes).
    Overestimating exercise burns.
    Logging regular non-exercise activity (like cleaning) as a burn.
    Not logging on the weekends or a cheat day.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I spent way too much time focusing on the time it would take to lose so much weight. It was depressing and self defeating. Now I try to look at each day of staying on task as a victory and every 1/4 pound lost as a reason to celebrate.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My biggest mistake was not doing any real research on how to actually lose weight. I just used "common sense"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My first diet would have been when I was still in high school and my BMI was 19. I guess that might have been mistake #1. Diets back then pretty much consisted of eating nothing but a Snickers bar and a slice of pizza or taco each day for a few days.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Thinking that enough exercise would allow me to eat without portion control. Wrong! I recommend the book "Always Hungry?" by Dr. Ludwig...solid science.