I'm Tired of Chicken, Tuna, Salmon, and Egg whites ... help

Options
I'm sick of eating pretty much chicken and tuna... I am AT THE POINT IN DIETING WHERE I ONLY SEE THEM AS PROTIENS AND NOT AS FOOD...I CRAVE A JUICY Burger from 5 guys or Mexican with cheese and chips.... none of which are on my diet if I want to lose these last 30 lbs.. any ideas on how to make high protein, low carb, taste good????

Replies

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Man. Get that Five Guys burger

One won't make you gain 30lbs back
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own delicious burger and load it with all the toppings, with a side of homemade oven fries made with olive oil and spices. I have it weekly and its the best!
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What are your diet restrictions what do not allow for a burger? Assuming your not operating under instructions from a doctor not to eat burgers, you can make them fit into your daily macro goals. Try pre-logging your day with a burger in there and build your day around it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If you want a juicy burger, EAT one. But the point is to eat ONE. . . . and enjoy every savory, greasy bite like it was sacred!

I have lost 40+ lbs eating pizza, mexican, fries, onion rings, chocolate, and/or drinking beer at least once or twice a week.

"Save" calories some days and "spend" them other days!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I was dropping 40 Lbs I still ate burgers...and I live in New Mexico so I go out for some good Mexican food a couple times per month. I lost 40 Lbs without low carbing or having a super boring diet...I lost 40 Lbs by simply hitting my calorie targets.

Also, "healthy" doesn't mean band or boing...people only think so because the tend to have very narrow views on what constitutes proper nutrition.

I'm grilling a skirt steak tonight that's been marinating for a couple of days...it's going to be awesome...and it's a perfectly acceptable lean source of protein.
  • amandamay83
    amandamay83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why not get the burger and skip the bun?

Or, as the others say, if you're really craving it, have ONE and move on.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As for the protien you mentioned there are lots of variations on them to make them tasty. If your craving Mexican, use Mexican spices add some low fat cheese and some potato wedges and you have one of your described meals lower calorie, home made so less oils and the greasiness you get from fast food places.
    Same can be said for the burger, some mixed beef mince I use 5% fat (others are just as suitable if you work round your macros) or turkey mince add some spices and mould. Tasty burger ready to grill, get yourself a nice bun some toppings of choice and you've got a fairly health meal there. Weight loss isn't about giving up food you love, its about finding a way to consume them in moderation and whilst loosing some inches on the waistband.
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    my diary is open and it offers some solid ideas
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I follow the same regimen and aim for 114 grams of protein daily. Sometimes by the end of the day I'm gagging at the thought of anything protein related and just want a big bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch (my weakness)
  • JamesofShea
    JamesofShea Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I, too, am craving a burger lately and I will be partaking after my monthly weigh-in next month, as a "cheat day" meal as a reward for myself. That is, if they weigh-in goes as well as I am hoping it will!

In response to your question, I am a big fan of fish, and currently I am enjoying eating sardines instead of tuna. They come is all sorts of flavors. I know sardines are not to everyone's liking, but if you start with King Oscar Bristling sardines, they are the mildest of all of them regarding the "fishy"-ness, if you get my meaning. Alton Brown has a Good Eats episode about this, if you're curious.

And while you can incorporate them into dips and recipes, I eat them right from the can. A lunch for me would be the can of Chicken of the Sea (lightly smoked, in olive oil) sardines with Ritz crackers (5 usually, but sometimes over 10 crackers) for the protein in my lunch, and that comes to 80 calories per 5 Ritz and between 90-150 calories or so for the sardines, depending on how the sardines are packaged/the flavor (in water, in olive oil, in mustard sauce, Mediterranean, etc.).

Hope this helps
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You need some better recipes. Eating Well has a wonderful 3 bean chili recipe with beef but there are so many vegetables that it gives you a nice size serving without too many calories. Tonight I am having a bacon ranch chicken wrap. Learn to make the food you love in a better way.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go ahead and echo most of the previous posters and say "get the burger"! There is zero sense in denying yourself, you can still weight and have occasional treats. Go for it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When did a burger become the devil...I grill up a tasty burger at home all of the time...I don't find there to be anything demonic about it. I don't eat them out often because I make a better burger than most places I can think of...but yeah, summertime is just around the corner and burgers will be on the grill for sure...
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I follow the same regimen and aim for 114 grams of protein daily. Sometimes by the end of the day I'm gagging at the thought of anything protein related and just want a big bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch (my weakness)

AMEN!!!
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's not the Burger.. and I can have it once a week for my Sunday cheat meal... But its the bread... Cheese.. and all the good stuff... I'm trying to stay away from Dairy and processed carbs as much as possible... in the past two months I've dropped almost 30 lbs.. I no longer need my blood pressure medicines and when I eat bland I'm trying to get off of nexium...
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I fit burgers in all the time. They are better made at home. They can also be smaller but still have a weighed portion of the toppings you like and be less calories with better flavor. Low carb - I don't know about low carb buns, but you could have the burger with toppings and no bun. Eat with fork and knife.

I try to save calories by not getting cheese and I hate mayo. Unless it's real cheese like cheddar or swiss or blue, etc, you don't taste it anyway - American cheese is a massive tasteless waste of calories. Or fit a smaller amount of quality cheese into your calories.
  • grizzman67
    grizzman67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Homemade chili is a great option. You could use lean ground pork, beef, turkey or any combination. I believe you can eat what you want,(logging it of course) just plan for it. Like 'toughmudder' said, that's what I do. I have whatever I want and build the rest of my meals around it to fit my macros. I'm really mindful of the sodium intake on days like that though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own delicious burger and load it with all the toppings, with a side of homemade oven fries made with olive oil and spices. I have it weekly and its the best!

This^

Fit in a reasonable burger. There are reduced carb buns (maybe not low carb).

After you lose the weight you will need some permanent modifications anyway. Lifestyle changes.
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of eating pretty much chicken and tuna... I am AT THE POINT IN DIETING WHERE I ONLY SEE THEM AS PROTIENS AND NOT AS FOOD...I CRAVE A JUICY Burger from 5 guys or Mexican with cheese and chips.... none of which are on my diet if I want to lose these last 30 lbs.. any ideas on how to make high protein, low carb, taste good????

I feel you thats what happens when you eat the same things over and over you can make your own healthy burger at home with no oil... you can add spices seasoning pepper onion garlic you dont need to eat the same thing over and over that will make you sick and then stop whatever you started there are some great healthy recipes out there all you need to go is seek them you can eat whatever you want as long as its not fried!!! You can even eat beef not pork
  • ginamcy
    ginamcy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried chicken burger its great