Basic question

Options
Will my MFP calories drop automatically if I keep updating my weight in the app? If not, how do I know when my weight has dropped sufficiently to require fewer calories? I've started at quite a high weight and am on 1,700 calories a day but I know eventually I'll have to drop that.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I believe you get prompted to manually re-run goal setting after 10 lbs loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes it will update (down-regulate) when you lose and update your weight. I think it changes calories per every ten pounds in weight change. Just review your "Goals" page to make sure your weight updates there, as well.
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes it will update (down-regulate) when you lose and update your weight. I think it changes calories per every ten pounds in weight change. Just review your "Goals" page to make sure your weight updates there, as well.

Thanks- my calories haven't changed even though I'm down 21lbs but my weight is up to date in the goal section of the app so I guess I just wait til it changes!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hm. That hasn't happened to me...

Maybe recalculate your goals and see what happens. It could depend on your current weight. If you have a lot of weight to lose, it will take a while until you get to a different calorie need. Also if you are already set at 1200 calories (for a woman) it will not go lower.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I had to manually update my goals before it would lower my daily amount. Every time
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    I had to manually update my goals before it would lower my daily amount. Every time

This is what I had to do! All I did was go in, change my goal to something else, change it back to what it was, and now my daily calories have dropped by 80 a day. Thanks!