Any ideas for eggplant?

Options
Nevada
Nevada Posts: 140 Member
I love it, but my usual fried recipe takes a lot of much oil.

My other favorite is marinated in Italian dressing, and grilled on the bbq.

Replies

• Nevada
    Options
    I love it, but my usual fried recipe takes a lot of much oil.

My other favorite is marinated in Italian dressing, and grilled on the bbq.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I like using a bit of olive oil and some herbs (basil, parsley or rosemary) and roasting cut up eggplant in the oven. Sometimes I throw in whatever other veggies I have on hand that go along with eggplant, like peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, squash, garlic and even carrots. Roast at 400 for one hour or until tender. Yummy!
  • Nevada
    Options
    Julie,
    I am heating up the oven now.

Thanks.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi Nevada,

You can go to fabulousfoods.com and just type in eggplant and quite a few recipes will come up.
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Layered Eggplant Cheese Bake
    Makes 2 servings

1 small eggplant, about 10 oz.
    1 tsp. salt
    2 oz. Swizz cheese shredded
    2 oz. Mozzarella cheese shredded
    1/2 tsp. oregano leaves
    1/2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
    dash pepper

With vegetable peeler, pare skin of eggplant lengthwise at 1 inch intervals to produce a striped effect. Cut eggplant crosswise into 8 slices, about 1/4 inch each. Sprinkle with salt on both sides. Place slices on a rack over a pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat slices dry with paper towels.
    In bowl comine the cheeses, oregano, parsley and pepper. Spray a nonstick 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place 2 slices of eggplant in bottom of pan; top with 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Repeat procedure 3 more times ending with cheese on top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
    Per serving 223 calories, 15 g protein, 14 g fat, 10 g carbohydrate
    From a Weight Watchers cookbook

This recipe is quite high in sodium content if you are watching salt intake, so may want to omit the salt.
  • Nevada
    Options
    Great ideas. I cleaned out the fridge and made a non-fried ratatouille. Cubed eggy, carrots, onion, garlic, celery, spaghetti squash, can of tomatoes, bay leaf, dill, oregano, and sage, a drizzle of olive oil. I'll give it an hour at 400.

I have one dish covered, the other open.

Hope I still get that next day smoky eggplant taste.
  • Nevada
    Options
    Just had a taste. Almost as good as my old oily ratatoullie.

The open dish had dried out, but has a more concentrated flavor. I added it to the juicer covered dish.

Will know for sure tomorrow after it has a day to sit in the fridge and get smoky.
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers Eggplant Parmigiana

POINTS® Value: 3
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 15 min
    Cooking Time: 35 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate
    We slimmed down this fattening favorite. Baking the eggplant gives the dish a crispy texture without the fat that comes from frying.

Ingredients
    1 spray cooking spray
    1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs, Italian-style
    1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1 medium raw eggplant
    2 large egg white(s), lightly beaten
    1 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
    1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
    Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a medium-size bowl; set aside. Remove skin from eggplant and trim off ends; slice eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
    Dip eggplant first into egg whites and then into bread crumb mixture. Bake eggplant on a nonstick cookie sheet until lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once.
    Place a layer of eggplant on bottom of prepared baking dish, then add 1/3 of tomato sauce and 1/3 of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers in same order. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Slice into 4 pieces and serve.

I haven't had this one in awhile but I remeber it being pretty good, and enjoyed by the whole family...

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!
    Niccole
  • ltlc568
    Options
    hi, my recipie also includes ground lamb or pork. which ever you prefer. for every medium gggplant that you use it will feed 2 people or 1 with a healthy appetite.

'stuffed eggplants'

family of 4 use:

2 eggplants
    500g ground lamb or pork( pork contains less fat)
    2 handfuls of chopped mushrooms
    1 tin of chopped tomatos
    4 generous slices of chedder cheese
    4 slices of bacon
    salt and pepper to taste

first pre-heat your oven to 200'c then place the meat into a pan (no oil needed), once browned drain off any excess fat and add the mushrooms, tomatos, salt and pepper.
    turn the heat down and simmer whilst preparing the eggplants. to prepare these all you need to do is cut them into 2 equal pieces from the stalk to the thickest part as these will lay beside each other in the dish and be stuffed with the meat.
    you need to scoop the middle of the eggplant out but leave a little fesh around the side for stability. (i find it easier to trace out with a knife exactly were i want too scoop so not to go too far).
    chop the scooped out eggplant in to cubes and add to the pan of other ingredients. sweat down for 5 minutes.
    you need a dish that is oven proof that will hold your eggplants in comfortably (too big and all the stuffing will fall out).
    place the eggplants in skin side down. fill each eggplant equally and level. place 1 slice of cheese on each, and place 1 slice of bacon on top of the cheese.
    bake in a preheated oven at 200'c for 30 minutes

this is great served with new potatos for a greater appetite of salad for a lighter one. this recipie is so tasty and can be adapted if ingredients aren't to taste.
  • Nevada
    Options
    Those sound great.

When I had to face dieting, I thought it would be all cottage cheese and lettuce. Great that I still get to cook, and there is a whole new world of recipes to try. And I appreciate the food so much more.
  • JaneP
    JaneP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Slit the eggplant half open on one side, rub skin with a tiny bit of olive oil and bake in oven for about an hour at med low temp. Once cooked, scoop flesh out and add finely chopped onion, salt, pepper and grated cheese (I also add chilli and herbs). Easy and delicious!
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Pasta with vegetables
    188 g, Eggplant
    203 g, Zucchini
    90 gms, Sweet Peppers
    124 grams, Onion
    161 grams, Pasta
    35 g, Parmesan
    4 ounce, Pieces & Stems Mushrooms
    2.20 ounce, Olives
    4 ounce, Finely Shredded Low-moisture Part-skim Mozzerella Cheese
    16 ounce, Marinara Sauce Grams
    2 T, Olive Oil
    saute' vegetables, mixed in every thing else but the cheese , layered on top and baked till the cheese melted.
    466 cal
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Love the recipes. What's the difference between eggplant and baby eggplant? They seem like 2 totally different vegetables>
  • camillevictour580
    camillevictour580 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Yogurt Dip: you can scoop it like hummus or baba ganoush with low carb tortilla or pita or fresh veggies.
    Poke several holes in a whole eggplant (fresher the better) and bake in the bbq grille on low until burned all over. Turn it about every 10-15 min. Takes 45-55 min. Then place in a bowl and slit open. Let it cool a bit and scoop out the flesh. Mince it up.
    Add 1/2-3/4c Greek yogurt (fat level content of your choice), 1T mint and or parsley, 1-2T olive oil (optional but it tastes better), 1-2 cloves minced garlic, & salt to taste.
    This is similar to baba ganoush but uses yogurt instead of tahini. It's lighter tasting.
  • lorraineausten
    lorraineausten Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use it thinly sliced to replace the pasta in lasagne
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

YUM - Thankyou!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yes. Give that bin a treat....
  • shezzz21
    shezzz21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Aubergine /eggplant /lingru fries

INGREDIENTS

Dipping sauce:
    1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    1 tablespoon chopped pickle or pickle relish
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
    salt
    freshly ground black pepper

Fries:

1 1-pound eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2" rounds, then into 1/2"-thick strips
    Vegetable oil (for frying)
    1 cup rice flour
    2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons za'atar
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon fine sea salt plus more for seasoning

Ingredient Info:
    Za'atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend that includes sumac, herbs, and sesame seeds.

PREPARATION

For dipping sauce:
    Whisk yogurt, chopped pickle, lemon zest, and oregano in a small bowl to blend. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

For fries:
    Place eggplant in a large bowl. Add 2 cups ice and enough water to cover. Place a plate on top of eggplant to weigh it down. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.

Pour oil into a large deep pot to a depth of 2". Attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side of pot and heat oil over medium heat to 325°F.

Meanwhile, whisk rice flour, lemon zest, za'atar, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon sea salt in a medium bowl to blend. Drain eggplant. Working in batches, toss damp eggplant in flour mixture to coat.

Working in batches, fry eggplant, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per batch. (Reheat oil to 325°F between batches.) Transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with lemon juice and sea salt. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.