No motivation...

Options
Well, "no" is a bit of a stretch. I stay under my fat and calorie limit 95% of the time, but my desire to work out is fleeting. I'll be super jazzed about going for a 3-mile walk, and then don't want to do it again for a week or two. I think it may be because I feel so out of shape when I do pilates (for example), I get discouraged and lose interest. I've tried setting goals but they don't work. What's ironic is I know how good I feel after I work out, but it isn't enough.

I don't know what I'm expecting by posting this. I sound like a lazy brat, but perhaps I just wanted to vent this.

Replies

• barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I felt this way when I first started working out, in great part because I felt like I couldn't get my big body to move the way it was supposed to, or bend/lift the way it was supposed to. It helped to find something I felt good about doing; it motivated me to find something I could do well. Have you tried just a simple walk video? (Leslie Sansone is surprisingly motivating.) Maybe yogilates (a blend of yoga a pilates that is less strenuous for bigger people, but still packs quite an abdominal punch)? Use this chance to find something that DOES motivate you. Keep it up - you'll get there!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I feel this way about working out but I DON'T feel this way about going for a walk with my mp3 player and some high paced music. And sometimes when I go for a walk I think "i'll go run to the end of this stretch".

but if I think about working out, doing a strenuous walk/run or going to the gym, it sounds like a LOT of effort - I need to find a towel, get a water bottle, etc/whatever.

I don't know why - the amount of effort is more or less the same since I put on workout clothes for my walks too. But it makes a big difference for me.
  • flutterbee3
    Options
    I lack motivation most days too. I found a gym I love but when I start to get busy, that is the first thing I stop doing and it is hard as hell to go back. I can find every excuse in the book to not go. I know if I go I will feel great and have more energy for the rest of the day but still...
    I used to put my gym time in my planner so I wouldn't book any appointments during that time but I don't do that now and I always seem to schedule something that conflicts with it. I could go to the 4:00 class most days but then I don't pick up my son until after 5:00 and I feel guilty leaving him at day care that long. If only they still had the 3:00 class that was perfect for me! Maybe, we need to start small. How about, 1 time this week we each get out and get some exercise and then maybe next week we could do it twice?
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I feel like this all the time. I started dancing with my Wii and it has helped because I enjoy it. I hate workout tapes and walking is boring for me.

Is there anything you really enjoy doing?
  • yummywater
    yummywater Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I looove to swim! I could stay in a pool for hours. Unfortunately, I live in a very small town with no public pool. My sister has an inground, but she lives an hour away so I see her every ten days or so.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    my friend loves dance central for the kinect, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't say.