Trying out the TDEE Method - How often do you change it?

Options
sbl1881
sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 36yrs old, female, 5'3 & 142lbs and trying to get to the mid 120's. I workout 6 days a week (3 run and 3 boxing) but have a desk job, so I set my activity level to sedentary and my workouts to "moderate" 5 days/week @ 45min each just in case I miss one. I used the IIFYM website and calculated my BMR as 1309, TDEE is 1746 and TDEE -20% is 1397.

I'm going to do TDEE -20% for the 1st 3 weeks to kick start things, then move to -15% from there. The macros on the website were a little too low-carb for me, so I changed them to 40% carbs, 35% protein and 25% fat.

How often does everyone adjust their calculations for calories and macros? Every month? Every 5-10lbs?

Replies

• sbl1881
    Options
    So, I just noticed that on workout days my net calories will be lower than my BMR. Is that ok? I keep seeing posts that you should never go lower than your BMR.

Boxing Days: TDEE - 20% = 1,397. Calorie burn = 450. Net Calories = 947
    Run Days: TDEE - 20% = 1,397. Calorie burn = 200. Net Calories = 1,197

I own a HRM (Schosche Rythym) and boxing actually shows 500-550 per class, while running is 225-250. I estimate lower because of the known inaccuracies/high results. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you follow TDEE, you do NOT eat back exercise calories, as they're already factored into your calculations.

I have a Fitbit, so I average out my calories burn over the previous month (so on the 1st I'll do it with my March burns) to calculate what I should be eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When using the TDEE method, your activity level is supposed to include your exercise...i.e. if you're exercising, you aren't sedentary.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I increased my exercise massively but opted to keep the TDEE calculation at sedentary ( multiplier of 1.2 over BMR) its working so I am not too concerned. As everyone I would like the drops to be quicker but mentally finally realize this is a marathon not a sprint. I think soon (another 10-15 pounds off) I will need to adjust to lightly active... I went from couch potato to 30 minutes a day cardio, then went to 1 hour combat classes and strength training. best of luck to you!
    Rob
  • sbl1881
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you follow TDEE, you do NOT eat back exercise calories, as they're already factored into your calculations.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When using the TDEE method, your activity level is supposed to include your exercise...i.e. if you're exercising, you aren't sedentary.

My daily activities are sedentary (desk job), but that specific calculator asks the # of days/time spent working out separately, so I thought I was doing it right. I understand that you don't eat back calories, which is why my net calories are so low on boxing workout days.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I didn't use a site. I tracked my intake here (using a food scale) and lbs lost over a 4-6 week period and figured it out myself

Total calories consumed+(lbs lost x 3500)/#days

for lets say for 4 weeks you ate 47000 calories, lost 3lbs

Calculation would be 4700+(3 x 3500)/28=2065 (give or take) that is your TDEE take that and take 5 or 20% off it depending on how much you want to lose.

ETA: I re-calculated every 10lbs
  • sbl1881
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I didn't use a site. I tracked my intake here (using a food scale) and lbs lost over a 4-6 week period and figured it out myself

Total calories consumed+(lbs lost x 3500)/#days

for lets say for 4 weeks you ate 47000 calories, lost 3lbs

Calculation would be 4700+(3 x 3500)/28=2065 (give or take) that is your TDEE take that and take 5 or 20% off it depending on how much you want to lose.

Thanks. I'll adjust mine after a month or so.

You're Stef (with an f)? Me too! (Stefanie) :)