Flirty girl?

Options
I just saw an ad on TV for something called "Flirtygirl Fitness," which uses a form of dance for a cardio routine. That got me thinking about other programs I've seen advertised like Carmen Electra's dance workout and the Hip Hop abs video.
Do these really work? I would imagine you would burn some calories with them as with any kind excercise where you are up and moving around, but has anyone actually stuck with one of them long enough to see results? I'm thinking this versus going to the gym regularly.
Thoughts?

Replies

• SammyD
    SammyD Posts: 50
    Options
    I just saw an ad on TV for something called "Flirtygirl Fitness," which uses a form of dance for a cardio routine. That got me thinking about other programs I've seen advertised like Carmen Electra's dance workout and the Hip Hop abs video.
    Do these really work? I would imagine you would burn some calories with them as with any kind excercise where you are up and moving around, but has anyone actually stuck with one of them long enough to see results? I'm thinking this versus going to the gym regularly.
    Thoughts?
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to wake up in the morning and decide to take a day off if you're doing those kind of at home exercises. When you've invested money in a gym membership it's an extra incentive to go even on the days you feel tired.

I know at home programs never worked for me because there were too many distractions and too many excuses. I didn't start working out properly until I bought myself that gym membership and started making it routine to get up in the morning and drive down. :happy:

But that's just my experience maybe you would handle things differently.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Not to say Nicky is wrong, certainly but just to show the opposite side of the coin.

If I had to 'get ready' to go workout, I would never go. I like being able to do it at my leisure. I schedule a block of time in which I have to 'start' and its between 12pm and 3pm. I do a variety of different workouts, mixing it up almost every day.

I have a pilates tape, the 30day shred, and a really fun bellydancing for cardio workout. I've got a treadmill as well, but I only use it on my 'pilates' days. I'm also doing the 100 pushups challenge and the 200 situps challenge.

They work for me! I burn calories and build strength - which is the whole point of exercise! Also, switching up your workout routine is supposed to prevent plateaus. :flowerforyou:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to wake up in the morning and decide to take a day off if you're doing those kind of at home exercises. When you've invested money in a gym membership it's an extra incentive to go even on the days you feel tired.

I know at home programs never worked for me because there were too many distractions and too many excuses. I didn't start working out properly until I bought myself that gym membership and started making it routine to get up in the morning and drive down. :happy:

But that's just my experience maybe you would handle things differently.

Yep, to each their own. I absolutely HATE the gym. :explode: I've joined so many times and never went, that's money I'll never recoup! :grumble: I love working out in my home gym. I don't have to go anywhere, weather is not a deterrent and I can do it any dang time I want. Works for me! **Your results may vary! :bigsmile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm an at home exerciser too. I am on my treadmill at 6am. (outside when it's light out) I lift weights for upper body, and do pilates, plus the sit ups & push ups challenge.
    In the past I've done other exercise videos, shows on tv. At home works for me. I feel like I'm wasting time getting ready & then driving to the gym. Plus the money I save on membership.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I actually have a client that loves hip hop abs!! She swears by it...good luck!!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I bought all of the carmen electra striptease videos and didn't like them!

They weren't really workouts, except for #2 I believe. That was strength training and had nothing to do with dancing.

I have seen the flirty girl ad, too. I had to do all I could to not pick up the phone, lol. Looks like fun to me! I would also love to try the classes they have at gyms sometimes that are "striptease" classes. Its so funny to me. I haven't been able to find a class in my area tho.

You'll have to let us know if you end up getting them! :drinker:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yep, to each their own. I absolutely HATE the gym. :explode: I've joined so many times and never went, that's money I'll never recoup! :grumble: I love working out in my home gym. I don't have to go anywhere, weather is not a deterrent and I can do it any dang time I want. Works for me! **Your results may vary! :bigsmile:

I THOUGHT I would hate the gym but there's SOO MUCH EYE CANDY!

Oh my god... it takes ALL my willpower not to be cat calling all morning while I'm doing my workout.

Also yesterday Mr. Roboto came on the stereo while I was doing weights and I giggled so much it was fantastic!!!! :bigsmile: :laugh:

But yeah... home doesn't work for me but obviously it does for others. :)
  • ndarling
    Options
    I also bought the first Carmen Electra dvd. It watched it through once and did it once. It wasn't for me. But like the others said...to each their own. Maybe borrow one from the library first and see how many times you do it, instead of buying it. Good luck.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I started my exercise program with Hip Hop Abs. Have done them all many times. Loved them and they worked. Plus I'm now programmed to exercise everyday. Beachbody videos are all amazing and they work!! I've done a ton of them. Now doing P90X. I ran a half marathon with my arm in a sling in 2.5 hours because of HHA. That was the only cardio training I did. They are an awesome investment. I can't say enough. And I love the gym. I just can't get there.:drinker:
  • danahub
    danahub Posts: 10
    Options
    i feel the same way at the gym you get motivated more and tend not to cheat.
  • SammyD
    SammyD Posts: 50
    Options
    I can honestly see both sides...hence the problem! I think my real issue is that the classes I go to aren't at a gym, they are free fitness classes on a drop in basis...good for the wallet, bad for the motivation!!

Maybe I should get a gym membership and do the vids at home when I can't bring myself to go out...cause it sounds like they work for you if you let them. Something to think about, thanks for all the input!:glasses:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I THOUGHT I would hate the gym but there's SOO MUCH EYE CANDY!

Oh my god... it takes ALL my willpower not to be cat calling all morning while I'm doing my workout.

Also yesterday Mr. Roboto came on the stereo while I was doing weights and I giggled so much it was fantastic!!!! :bigsmile: :laugh:

But yeah... home doesn't work for me but obviously it does for others. :)

:laugh: That's funny, I had forgotten about that part! I do have my DH at home and 4 large dogs...not sure if I'd call it eye candy but it works for me! :love: