What should I do at the gym? Help!!!!!

Options
I just decided that I want to be serious about getting fit. I have a membership but I get really intimidated by all of the equipment. Can anyone help me with some tips on what to do at the gym that will be affective with losing weight. I do know that I can not just focus on one area however my mid section and inner thigh is my problem areas. Please help. I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Replies

• Bryo4
    Bryo4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Normally, gyms will offer at least one session with a staff member to help you understand how the equipment works, etc., and in my experience will help you put together a basic routine based on your goals. I'd check that out first. Good luck!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting, my advice is to do whatever makes you happy. Build up the HABIT of going, then worry about the effectiveness of your workout. Do you like group classes? I hated those but was pretty happy getting on an elliptical and reading a trash magazine for 30 minutes. Whatever get you in there. Consistency is huge if you're not doing much now
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce any one particular area. Weight will fall off the way it wants to. The other thing is I can tell you do 15 minutes on the stairmaster, 15 mins of the elliptical, 15 mins on the treadmill and 15 mins of weights but if you hate all of those things then it won't work for you. Try the equipment out. Use some of them more than once, play with the settings and find what you like or you won't want to do it.
  • laketa8482
    laketa8482 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll start with this.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, eat correctly.

As for what to do at the gym, it doesn't matter all that much, just work hard at whatever you choose to do.
  • laketa8482
    Options
    I have been going but I've only been walking on the treadmill changing the speeds and incline but I was really feeling like i wasn't doing enough. I just started clean eating yesterday. I am trying to stay between 1000-1100 in calories.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love New Rules of Lifting for Women, it's a progressive weight lifting program. If you don't know what the exercise is, just youtube it. I print off pictures of the exercise just in case I forget. Also there's great beginner programs at bodybuilding.com or on pinterest. Going to the gym without a plan of action can be intimidating. Start slow and work your way up and pretty soon you'll be rocking it! Good luck :)
  • Bryo4
    Options
    laketa8482 wrote: »
    I am trying to stay between 1000-1100 in calories.

That's REALLY not sustainable. That's probably less than your BMR, and very unsafe. Please consider revising that goal upwards. It won't get you where you want to go. Weight loss is a long game. Make a long plan, stick to it (most of the time!) and you'll see success. Promise!
  • Bryo4
    Options
    I'll also second New Rules of Lifting for Women. I got started lifting with a trainer, but New Rules is solid. If you think it sounds like it may work for you, pay close attention to your form to make sure you don't hurt yourself and start light.
  • laketa8482
    Options

lilRicki wrote: »
    I love New Rules of Lifting for Women, it's a progressive weight lifting program. If you don't know what the exercise is, just youtube it. I print off pictures of the exercise just in case I forget. Also there's great beginner programs at bodybuilding.com or on pinterest. Going to the gym without a plan of action can be intimidating. Start slow and work your way up and pretty soon you'll be rocking it! Good luck :)

Thanks I'm going to look that up now.
  • laketa8482
    Options
    Bryo4 wrote: »

That's REALLY not sustainable. That's probably less than your BMR, and very unsafe. Please consider revising that goal upwards. It won't get you where you want to go. Weight loss is a long game. Make a long plan, stick to it (most of the time!) and you'll see success. Promise!

So your saying that 1000-1100 calories is dangerous?

• c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more than 1100 calories. Spartan WOD also offers some nice workouts for free. You can tailor them to your fitness needs.
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try a good treadmill incline workout. Try 2 minutes at 0 and then 5 minutes on 21 incline at 2.0 speed, then back down to 0 for 2 minutes, then 24 incline 2.0 speed for 5 minutes, then back down at 0 for 2 minutes, then back up to 27 for 5 minutes and then back down at 0 for two minutes and up to 30 incline for 2 minutes.
  • Bryo4
    Options

Yes - I don't think MFP ever recommends less than 1200 calories per day, and very, very few people can maintain that long term. How did you come up with that number?
  • Bryo4
    Options
    The MFP BMR calculator is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Consider that the number you shouldn't routinely go below. Then calculate your TDEE (which accounts for your activity level) and then maintain a modest deficit from that.
  • Bryo4
    Options
    IIFYM.com is a good TDEE calculator.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Before this thread gets out of control, just start with the basics. Eat a reasonable amount of cals and get some exericse. Be as consistent as you can with your eating, your exercising, and your logging. Be patient.

See how things go, then make small changes here and there until you find something you can stick with.
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For weight loss, eat correctly.

As for what to do at the gym, it doesn't matter all that much, just work hard at whatever you choose to do.

bingo, abs are made in the kitchen and fine tuned in the gym
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bryo4 wrote: »

Did you set up a weight loss plan in MFP? That would be a very good start to get to a healthy calorie count that gives you sustainable weight loss.