fish??

Options
xLexi28
xLexi28 Posts: 17 Member
I eat a lot of fish, and chicken. I do not eat red meat.
I am looking for some new fish to try instead of my plain cod.
any ideas/recipes??
thank you!!

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    - Chilean sea bass is my favorite fish! It's a white fish and kind of expensive, I try to buy it when it's on sale. (Have them cut the skin off for you!)
    - Halibut is a great really meaty white fish.
    - Sole fish are thinner and really delish.
    - Sword fish steaks are good.

- I bake all of my fish the same way;
    - With fresh chopped tomatoes and fresh chopped onions or leeks. with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.

- I put it in a baking pan w the onions and tomato and put the olive oil and seasonings on it and then cover it with foil. (It is really important to cover it to keep the moisture in)
    - Bake it on 350 for 30 min, then take the foil off, it might look watery on the bottom but it's all the yummy seasonings and juices! (careful not to burn yourself when taking foil off, the steam is really hot) then cook uncovered for however long you want it.
    - After I take foil off, I usually crank it to 400 so that it gets a nice brown on top.
    - You could even cook it over a bag of baby spinach.
    - Squeeze fresh lemon on it before eating.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Steamed sea bass with finely chopped ginger and spring onion with a little sprinkle of sesame oil and soy sauce. I love this!!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I just had a nice salmon fillet with wild rice (already cooked):

Season up your pretty fillet. Dribble a little olive oil in a heavy (not nonstick) skillet, and heat under a lowish flame. When the oil is hot, toss in a good amount of sliced onion. While you stir the onion around, squeezed the juice out of two lemons, and add to this a tiny bit of spiced rum. Should wind up with around 1/3 cup of de-glazing liquid.

Add the salmon, skin side down. Let it cook for a bit, then turn it over (I typically let it go way longer than a purist would, but I like my meat *cooked*). Turn of the flame and pour in your lemon juice and rum mix. While it sizzles, attack the "schmutz" sticking to the pan so it comes loose and blends with the liquid.

Take your rice and add it to the pan. Stir everything around. Your salmon, under the double force of acids and heat, will cook. Your rice will soak up the liquids. When said liquid is pretty much gone, pour it into a nice shallow bowl. Add a nice little salad of mixed greens to round things out. Serve yourself a little bit of dry red wine. Avoid the cats as they try to cut in. Eat it nice and slow.

Hope this helps give you some ideas!

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    There are 100's of different fish available...depends where you live.

Nice Lake fish like perch or walleye - great simply pan seared with a little butter or olive oil and salt. Tender and sweet...great with a nice salad.

Salmon or Trout or Char - I tend to salt, maybe add herbs and broil. Serve by itself or with a bernaise, lemon caper or sorrel sauce.

Basa or talapia - I tend to use these for my Thai or Sichuan dishes.

Catfish - lovely blackened

Tuna - I only eat this raw as Sushi, tartare or Poke...or canned (preferably in oil) as Nicoise salad.

.....and so on
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Salmon with Garlic, Lemon, and Dill

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 5 min.

Cook Time: 10 min.

Total Time: 15 min.

Ingredients:

1 lb salmon fillet
    2 tsp butter
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
    Fresh dill, to taste
    Lemon slices

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil then coat it with cooking spray.

Combine the butter, olive oil, and garlic together then spread evenly over the top of the fish. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Sprinkle freshly chopped dill all over followed by a layer of lemon slices. Place skin side down on the prepared baking sheet.

Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork. Remove from the oven and serve with additional slices of lemon if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm not a super great chef, but I love making spicy catfish or swai by seasoning it with a tiny bit of sea salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Pescatarian here- one thing I love to do with my fish is to eat it in or transformed into other things. no need to just have a plain cod filet! Fish tacos are one of my go tos. Add whatever seasoning you want, but be generous. nothing worse than a flavorless fish filet. Put into a soft taco shell with shredded cabbage, some feta cheese, some sriracha, cilantro, and lime. YUM.

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Salmon is my favorite but I really enjoy Swai too.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like to drizzle salmon with maple syrup, then dashes of soy sauce. Let them marinate in for about ten minutes, then roast at 400 degrees F until cooked through (about 20 minutes). So good!

You might also like salmon (or other fish) cooked in parcels... check out this easy recipe: http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/07/pesto-salmon-and-italian-veggies-in-foil/
  • seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also make all my fish the same way. I've used this with cod, haddock, and tilapia. It's quick and easy.

Simply brush the fish with the oil of your choice and sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. McCormick makes a good one. I have to watch salt in my diet, so I use the Mrs. Dash which is also very good. Do the oil and sprinkle on both sides.

Broil on high for around 5 minutes a side. A little more for a thicker fish (like a cod loin), slightly less for something thinner (like tilapia).

I'll also throw the fish in a grill basket and do it on the grill. Same times, warm grill up to 400 or so.

You'll go from zero to eating fish in 20-25 minutes!
  • hanjo285
    hanjo285 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I only eat seafood and chicken as well! My favorites are shrimp and salmon. Shrimp is easy because it goes good in basically everything, over rice, in tacos, in spaghetti squash, ect. My lazy dinner is usually garlic shrimp fried brown rice with any vegetables I have in the house. Putting fish over rice helps me a lot, it gives it some texture on the nights I'm just really bored of eating fish. Also, when my bank account allows it lol, I love scallops. I usually pan fry them with coconut oil and garlic and whatever seasoning I feel like. I like them best by themselves so I usually make spinach or some type of vegetable on the side. Mixing up veggies helps keep food from getting boring, too. I've had shrimp every night for the past 4 nights and didn't even notice until now! Good luck! ☺️
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like my salmon simple. Because it's a fatty fish, it doesn't burn easily like the other more delicate ones. I usually just salt it and then pan sear it on a cast iron skillet in olive oil. Then I drizzle fresh lime and cayenne on it and eat. Salmon itself has plenty of flavor, and I love that taste. No reason to drown it out.

When I do want some variety, though, I will put it in a tin foil parcel with some crushed garlic, ginger, and thai bird chillies with a bunch of vegetables and some salt. Then I will put a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk on it, and then sliced lime, and then fold the whole thing and let it bake for about 12-15 minutes. Delicous also.

If you're going for other seafood, I just use all white fish recipe interchangeably.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I like salmon pan fried (in a non stick pan, doesn't need oil) or baked in paper with veggies (spring onion, capsicum, zucchini) and asian flavours (sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, garlic).

White fish (barramundi, snapper etc) is delicious pan fried (dust with a bit of flour, paprika, salt and pepper) and served with rice and a fruity salsa (pineapple or mango with red onion, chilli, red capsicum, coriander, olive oil, lime juice).

Spicy seafood soup is delicious - basically a spicy tomato soup with prawns/scallops/fish dropped in for the last minute or two. You don't need a lot of the seafood to feed a bunch of people so it's a nice way to use more expensive seafood - just don't overcook it!

White fish with a crumb topping - blend up a slice or two of bread (I prefer grainy breads) into crumbs, add some nuts (pistachios or walnuts are delicious), fresh herbs, salt, pepper. Add a small drizzle of oil then press the crumbs on top of the fish and bake it in the oven. Sometimes I add parmesan to the crumbs instead of the nuts.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can use several different types of fish with these recipes and they always seems to come out good. I usually use Cod, Tilapia Trout or Salmon the most, but have also used Red Snapper and Flounder as well with good results. All of my fish are baked in a glass dish at 425F, for 30 minutes covered and then 6 minutes uncovered.

1. Mix ½ cup of parmesan cheese with ½ cup of whole grain bread crumbs. Wet fish with a mixture of Lemon Juice and vinegar, then cover with the bread and cheese mixture and bake.2.
    2. Take a can of sliced pineapple coat fish with the juice place sliced pineapple on top and bake.3.
    3. Coat lightly with a Sauvignon blanc wine, add crushed red pepper and garlic then bake.
    4. Coat lightly with a mixture of Sauvignon blanc wine, and lemon juice then cover in Panko bread crumbs and bake.
    5. Steam some fresh Kale and Spinach, while still hot stir in one table spoon of cream cheese. Bake fish covered for the 30 minutes, then uncover and pile on the Kale and Spinach then finish baking for the 6 minutes uncovered,
    6. Coat fish with a cider vinegar mixture coat then in McCormick Bayou Cajun Seasoning and bake.
  • shezzz21
    shezzz21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Marinate fish with
    green red n yellow pepper n lemon wedges in
    Salt
    pepper
    lemon juice
    Lots of green dhana
    Garlic paste
    fresh red chillies
  • shezzz21
    shezzz21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fish

lots of Cajun spice
    salt
    pepper
    grounded fresh garlic
    grounded paprika
    chillies
    fresh lemon juice
    peri peri oil
    mix well leave to marinade
    Pan fry or grill
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this Salmon recipe in the next couple of weeks:
    • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, fat free
    • 1 lime, juiced
    • 3 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 4 (3oz) wild caught salmon fillets
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
    2. In a small bowl combine the yogurt, lime juice, and garlic. Put half of the yogurt mixture aside in the fridge. Coat the salmon with the other half of the yogurt mixture and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
    3. Place the salmon on prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Turn on the high broil for an additional 5 minutes until the top of the salmon has browned.
    4. Serve the salmon on a bed of kale with a dollop of the reserved yogurt.
    Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 172 calories, 6.9g fat, 62mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, and 24.6g protein.

Salmon is also tasty when grilled, then broken up over a bed of spinach, with cherry tomatoes and capers and a light dressing. (the flavor is so good you don't need heavier dressings)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Jamie Oliver's Fishy Pie again tonight.....
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love tuna steaks cooked with lemon pepper. Mmm