Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating workout calories back -- 1200 calorie edition

2»

Replies

• Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    edited March 2016
    Double post.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    The more muscle you have the more calories you can consume without gaining weight.

Not by much. What is it 3-4 calories extra per lb of muscle? So 80 calories per day extra for a heavily muscled individual at the most. Big deal. Fat also takes energy to maintain so the difference between 2 people of the same weight would be negligible no matter the fat percentage.

Why do those huge body builders eat insane amounts of calories to maintain their physiques. Is it their muscle or body weight?

Their muscle has a lot to do with their bodyweight, so you cannot separate the twp.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    You work out to burn calories why eat them back thats just crazy imo
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

Not everyone works out to burn calories. Some people work out to improve health.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member

I workout because exercise is something that I like doing. For me, it has nothing to do with burning extra calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Eileen_S wrote: »

I workout because exercise is something that I like doing. For me, it has nothing to do with burning extra calories.

Yes, I was going to say that it depends on why you exercise. I exercise because I have various goals unrelated to dieting.

If one is merely exercising to diet, one should still consider that in determining what a sensible cut is, of course, which is why the MFP method adds back calories from exercise.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

So people maintaining weight never exercise?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member

You eat them back because your deficit is already included in your base calories using MFP. Eating exercise calories makes no difference to the goal one sets.

Not eating them back means there is a chance of being under the daily recommended calorie allowance for men 1500, women 1200.
    There is a greater chance of various health problems, extra LBM loss, being too tired to fulfil normal everyday expectations, and being bad tempered and fuzzy headed when under nourished.

Why would one want to reach their goal skinny and sick when using MFP as intended will take just a little longer with a healthier outcome?

Exercise is to improve ones health, and in some cases ones body composition.

Cheers, h.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Not eating them back means there is a chance of being under the daily recommended calorie allowance for men 1500, women 1200.

Not really, if you've eaten 1200 calories that's what you've eaten, exercise or not.
  • Rache108
    Rache108 Posts: 1 Member
    I don't eat back my weekly gym sessions as I factored these in my allowances, but when I cycle I use some of the calories to fuel the ride. Today we did 2 and a half hours cycling, earning 1468 calories. I ate about 300 extra than normal. Some was a bagel at breakfast to fuel the ride, and an energy gel halfway through.
  • brownb65
    brownb65 Posts: 5 Member
    The Dietician told me I should be eating 1600 calories a day, but I can't even eat 1200.. If I'm not eating enough calories, does that mean I'm not going to lose weight?...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    brownb65 wrote: »
    The Dietician told me I should be eating 1600 calories a day, but I can't even eat 1200.. If I'm not eating enough calories, does that mean I'm not going to lose weight?...

Why cant you eat 1600 calories? And yes, you will lose weight eating 1200 calories, but it is unnecessarily low..
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    brownb65 wrote: »

Nope. People lose weight on medically supervised 800 calorie diets.
  • pgray007
    pgray007 Posts: 47 Member
    I tend to "eat back" 50% or less of what I burn through exercise. I'm training for some endurance events, so a ~1500 calorie burn is not uncommon for me (as measured via a Garmin HRM). However, when I "eat back" all the calories, I usually gain weight. My theory is that I'm losing electrolytes, so I crave salty foods post-workout, which then leads to water retention. I've been trying to consume more electrolyte-rich sports drinks and more closely watching what I eat, although it is occasionally amusing to eat a bunch of pizza and a few beers and have MFP tell me I'm under my calorie goal for the day...
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    I eat back 50% of the step calories from Fitbit Zip and MFP. I log other exercise (if I do any) and input 1 calorie for the burn. Yesterday I shoveled snow. MFP gave me an extra 150 calories to eat. There is no way I burned that many. I was not extra hungry. I don't trust any of the numbers besides Fitbit. I consistently lose what MFP says I will.lose following this method.

Probably not a good method for someone that burns a lot through exercise.
This discussion has been closed.